Prompts to remind me personal details about people I am contacting

gtdstudente

Registered
Ah but sporeadsheets have a series of issues. The infamous and deadly start date problem that can make all dates off if you move the sheet from one operating system to another. Issues with differences in the same spreadshet program across operating systems (I'm looking at you Excel!) and running out of space when you need to add a new fueld for one person or more data than a single sheet can hold. (BTDT with sheep records, which started out as a spreadsheep but evolved into an SQLite Database. I ran out of space on the spreadsheet for individual data within 7 years. )

For an even older and more durable format try plain text files.

For a jazzed up version look at markdown in one flavor or another. Sure the flavors have tools that use them but in the end you can see and read the styling as a human and if need be extract it back.
Oogiem,

Yes, you are prompting my memory when the Spreadsheet become a Database limitations can comes readily kick in for robust enterprises such as yours.

Agreed, like simple spreadsheets, plain text files can still have the use/value especially for personal rinky-dink enterprises where data tends to be perishable and 'expires' without retaining much analytical value.

Thank you very, very much

Ps. Good on you for knitting 'subsidiary' . . . your well-oiled enterprise is quite the vertical mini-conglomerate . . . love it!

Yuting

Registered
If you use Gmail's web interface, to the right of the screen you can bring up the contact card for the sender or recipient of the current message.
1691565954113.png

It pulls information from your Gmail address book so won't have the problem of being discontinued or removed unexpectedly.

If you're on the iPhone, you can put notes in a reminder associated with a contact so whenever you message them, the reminder will pop up. (this is limited to Message app only.)

Also on the iPhone / Mac, there is a long-standing personal CRM app called Contacts Journal. It's a solid reliable app.

Matt_M

Registered
I am curious, since I don't run into this issue when using spreadsheets myself or when I develop software, but how is the epoch of dates and times being used in your spreadsheets? I may be fortunate to not have any relevant information from pre-1970 for Unix-based OS'es and certainly nothing from pre-1601 for Windows OS.

I am genuinely curious how the epoch start date and time affects some of the folks in this thread. It's the first I have heard of this kind of issue.

gtdstudente

Registered
I am curious, since I don't run into this issue when using spreadsheets myself or when I develop software, but how is the epoch of dates and times being used in your spreadsheets? I may be fortunate to not have any relevant information from pre-1970 for Unix-based OS'es and certainly nothing from pre-1601 for Windows OS.

I am genuinely curious how the epoch start date and time affects some of the folks in this thread. It's the first I have heard of this kind of issue.
Ignorant in regards to understanding "how the epoch start date and time " mostly "EPOCH"?

Thank you . . . perhaps you can remove this one of many tid-bits of ignorance?

Last edited:

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer

The thing with Excel is that Mac and PC have different "start dates", which results in an Excel work book created in Windows will have all dates askewed when opened on a Mac - unless you enable the "1904 date system" in the workbook (which also makes it possible to subtract dates, which van be very handy).

Or am I missing some other point here..?

Matt_M

Registered
The thing with Excel is that Mac and PC have different "start dates", which results in an Excel work book created in Windows will have all dates askewed when opened on a Mac - unless you enable the "1904 date system" in the workbook (which also makes it possible to subtract dates, which van be very handy).

Or am I missing some other point here..?

Ah, I think I understand now. You're saying that if you have an Excel file with some kind of date and time, let's say today (2023-08-11), created on a Unix-like OS. When you open that file on Windows, since all dates and times are just integers (or longs/Int64's), that because "0" has now been redefined as something other than midnight of January 1 1970 (i.e. some time in 1601), that the date and time is no longer correct?

That makes sense and is quite logical. However, I have not ran into that issue myself despite using multiple OS'es (Windows and Mac) for many years. Interesting. I want to look more into this and if it's just something I naturally corrected with my configuration at one point and never had an issue.

Edit: Ah, I see, this page documents the issue a bit more clearly: https://kb.iu.edu/d/aape#:~:text=Microsoft Excel uses the time,1904 as a starting date. It's, essentially, the same as what I noted above but just with different actual date and time values.

Edit: Interesting, it looks like Excel's internal epoch is midnight January 1st 1900, which corrects/accounts for this behavior, internally, by making all dates and times in Excel consistent. This was made consistent and correct on both OS'es as of the release of Office 2011 for Mac (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...in-excel-e7fe7167-48a9-4b96-bb53-5612a800b487). Seems like it's been solved for a decade now, that's why I have not encountered it. I didn't use macOS until 2016 and never needed or cared about this issue prior and wouldn't need to do so even after. Fascinating

Ignorant in regards to understanding "how the epoch start date and time " mostly "EPOCH"?

Thank you . . . perhaps you can remove this one of many tid-bits of ignorance?

Epoch is the term used for "the start of time" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epoch). It's very common in software engineering and is one of the critical decisions when writing date and time sensitive software (i.e. calendars, schedules, time zone libraries, logging libraries, meeting software, OS'es, etc.). I wrote my own date and time library many years ago and had to solve all of these problems myself so I take for granted some of that contextual knowledge.

Last edited:

Oogiem

Registered
since I don't run into this issue when using spreadsheets myself or when I develop software, but how is the epoch of dates and times being used in your spreadsheets?
You are probably the only programmer in the world who has not be bitten badly by start date issues. Here's a simple test. Create an Excel spreadsheet on an old Windows machine. Add several columns that are formatted as dates. Then move the same spreadsheet over to excel on a Mac. You will notice all the dates are wrong.

Or take a very old Lotus 123 sheet that has been migrated for years, it will give 3 differnet dates for date fields on older Excel versions, newer ones, older mac Excel and newer mac Excel. Take a spreadsheet from a Linux system and try to read it in Excel on a mac or windows and none of the dates will be correct UNLESS you specifically set up the start date for that sheet to be what matches the target system.

Now, take a spreadsheet from a system from someone in Canada, whose dates were stored in a different format than US based dates. But if you don't know that and try to turn them into something you can use you will find things really off.

The Mac to Windows conversion is over a year difference. Every time we have a leap year the Windows system gets further off by a day since Windows Excel does not calculate leap years properly for 00 ending years.

That is why I store all dates and times as strings, not date time fields.
However, I have not ran into that issue myself despite using multiple OS'es (Windows and Mac) for many years.
Define many years? I have data in spreadsheets that started out on Data General machines from the early 1980's . I have some that are the descendents of Lotus 123 sheets, a few from a bunch of different flavors of Unix and some from some IBM mainframes and Sun Microsystem machines including a SPARC station. One I have to deal with regularly, as in 2-3 times a year, is a spreadsheet that is from a COMPAQ Alpha station XP1000 running Digital Unix with 2 gigabytes of memory. It's still in use to this day and it's a total PITA, made even worse by the fact it's in Australia and they don't like to deal with anything outside their 2 approved data input packages which store files in Excel 97 format. (Which has all the aforementioned date issues.)
I didn't use macOS until 2016 and never needed or cared about this issue prior
My LambTracker Software was first started in 2011. The original spreadsheeps I used before converting to SQLite were initially created in 1997. I am dealing with some data that go back to 1973.

Dates are the bane of my programming existence.

Times run a close second especially if you attempt to handle daylight savings times which have changed over the years. Even just timezones are a problem.

Date and time are worse than dealing with printing issues. At least printing can usually be solved with enough $ to just go buy a new printer.

Here's thre choices in LibreOffice and I have sheets that use every single wone and notes as to which is which. All needed for compatibility with various legacy systems.

Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 3.31.36 PM.png

Matt_M

Registered
You are probably the only programmer in the world who has not be bitten badly by start date issues. Here's a simple test. Create an Excel spreadsheet on an old Windows machine. Add several columns that are formatted as dates. Then move the same spreadsheet over to excel on a Mac. You will notice all the dates are wrong.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I do get the issue (I misunderstood it at first based on the initial description but Rene clarified it). It's just got to do with old versions of Excel and using a different epoch. I just have never ran into it because I don't use spreadsheets for anything that I expect to keep, care about, or look at after two weeks (that's not an insult at people who do but just me describing my use cases). Excel and spreadsheet software is mostly geared for doing short-term analysis and data storage / transmission (e.g. financial statements). Using it as any kind of long-term durable data storage mechanism is fraught with peril (as you noted). For that kind of stuff, I would use a database or plain-text (something which has been popularized and evangelized since the 1990's with the start of the Agile movement).

Or take a very old Lotus 123 sheet that has been migrated for years, it will give 3 differnet dates for date fields on older Excel versions, newer ones, older mac Excel and newer mac Excel. Take a spreadsheet from a Linux system and try to read it in Excel on a mac or windows and none of the dates will be correct UNLESS you specifically set up the start date for that sheet to be what matches the target system.

Now, take a spreadsheet from a system from someone in Canada, whose dates were stored in a different format than US based dates. But if you don't know that and try to turn them into something you can use you will find things really off.

The Mac to Windows conversion is over a year difference. Every time we have a leap year the Windows system gets further off by a day since Windows Excel does not calculate leap years properly for 00 ending years.

Define many years? I have data in spreadsheets that started out on Data General machines from the early 1980's . I have some that are the descendents of Lotus 123 sheets, a few from a bunch of different flavors of Unix and some from some IBM mainframes and Sun Microsystem machines including a SPARC station. One I have to deal with regularly, as in 2-3 times a year, is a spreadsheet that is from a COMPAQ Alpha station XP1000 running Digital Unix with 2 gigabytes of memory. It's still in use to this day and it's a total PITA, made even worse by the fact it's in Australia and they don't like to deal with anything outside their 2 approved data input packages which store files in Excel 97 format. (Which has all the aforementioned date issues.)

Yeah, it sounds like you deal with a lot of legacy stuff. That's an unfortunate reality of migrating information across so many applications and systems, it just gets messier and messier over time. Heck, let me tell you all about the joys of migrating source control platforms and technologies ... whew boy.

Personally, I don't use anything legacy at all anymore and won't work on anything legacy either. Which to be clear, for me, I define legacy as anything prior to 2010 (I know, I know ... that's barely yesterday). I just don't have the time, energy, or interest in putting up with that kind of ancient voodoo. Unless I am paid extremely well, I won't touch stuff from the dawn of time itself (i.e. anything from the 20th century). The ONLY exception is Emacs but that's another story since it's actively maintained and is nothing like it was all those years ago.

Regarding formats and parsing, yep. I am no stranger to that either. It gets fun when I have to mix and match between different programming languages that have different defaults too. As I mentioned elsewhere on the forum, this is why I standardized years ago to follow formats like ISO-8601. Even for my professional work, programming languages largely standardized their date time libraries and well documented all of the "gotchas" and eccentricities.

Couple that all with the fact that I don't cross OS boundaries all that often anymore as I simplified my OS usage several years ago and went onto macOS for everything. However, even when I do use Windows, I just emulate Unix as the baseline/standard (i.e. I emulate it via tools like Cygwin and MSYS2 on any Windows machines I would use).

That is why I store all dates and times as strings, not date time fields.

Times run a close second especially if you attempt to handle daylight savings times which have changed over the years. Even just timezones are a problem.

Well, storing as strings is just trading one set of problems for another: parsing. Dates and times are just plain old integers under the hood, really. It's usually easier to work with them in that format than strings (though six of one and half a dozen of the other). Though, I digress, I do understand the frustration. I won't write my own date time libraries anymore because it's just too much work/effort for all of the reasons discussed. I admire the folks that wrote great libraries like the chrono library for C++, Java's/.NET's entire standard library, moment.js/day.js for JS/TS, etc. It's thankless work but necessary.

BTW, since you brought it up, dates are trivial, absolutely easy, compared to time and time zones. Not only are they political constructs (international/federal laws, state laws, local laws, tribal laws, etc. make this just delightful ... looking at you Arizona and Indiana) but they are geographically delightful too (yeah, I am talking about the fact that cell towers can just be fun to deal with).

Date and time are worse than dealing with printing issues. At least printing can usually be solved with enough $ to just go buy a new printer.

I don't use printers anymore, so I dodge that bullet too. Maybe once a year ... maybe. I am 100% on the "digital everything" train.

My biggest problem in programming is actually less about any tactical thing like dates and times, null, or data storage formats. It's scaling it all up to meet the needs of super-enterprises (my own coined term: really big enterprises) and infrastructure now of days. Getting everything to talk to each other, scaling it all for performance and cost, and being on the cutting edge of everything (i.e. very hard to google my way out of problems). That's a story for another time though.

Oogiem

Registered
It's scaling it all up to meet the needs of super-enterprises
Mine is dealing with people that need and want state of the art capabilities but have to run on cheap Walmart tablets (max $150 each) in wilderness areas with no connectivity at all (yes, not even satellite or Starlink) dealing with up to 30K individual animals. And be able to combine the databases when all the various bands come in to HQ. All with little to no computer savvy and certainly no IT support.

leos

GTD|Connect
Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for your help. I am an executive in a firm and my daily schedule is quite busy. Typically 2 hours of work in the morning and straight meetings throughout the remainder of the day with a few short breaks in between. I interact with lots of vendors, clients, and colleagues. One struggle I have is admittedly I am a very laser focused business minded individual. I sometimes fail to remember peoples personal information, how many kids they have and their names, recent trips to spur conversation, sports interests, etc. Basically any type of personal information that can help me bond and make small talk with people. I do value that a lot as I think it is important to build the relationship and show people I care.

But, and this will sound like I dont, it is very hard for me to mentally keep track of all of this, recall information, and start on the softer side of conversation.

Has anyone come across any tools, software, apps, outlook plugins etc so when I contact someone in emails, teams, maybe a text or even see someone in a meeting I can quickly and easy pull up such information? Obviously I know I would need to build the information but it would be a great help.

Almost how GTD allows agendas to present information about people in terms of waiting for and next actions, I need that/virtual personal assistant to present the items to me.
Hi,
I have started to use clay.earth to help me with the people in my life to keep up with. It is a slow roll on my side because I am doing a lot of things. But, that helps in gathering meta data across my emails and my imessages on when was the last touchpoint with them (it does not show me the content of the emails). But, its the closet I've come to having a true CRM for my life.

Gardener

Registered
If I needed to do this, I think I'd do it on paper--maybe a vintage style address book, something attractive enough to draw me to use it.

Considering why:

- Paper has no restriction on format.
- I could be reading it or adding notes to it while my computer or phone is otherwise occupied.
- Software going away would not be a thing.
- I could add things--photos, business cards, etc.

Of course, occasionally you'd probably need to transcribe the whole thing to a fresh new book, but would that be bad? It could be a handy refresher on who all those people are. (Now I'm reminded of Agatha Christie's Mrs. Oliver, researching things in past years' address books in Elephants Can Remember.)

Of course, if you have to track hundreds and hundreds of people, there's no way this would work.