Setting up Apple Reminders - guide

Where do you put your random checklists like personal affirmations, travel checklist, and such?
@Wiññypoo,

Reference in Checklist folder . . . travel Checklist would be moved to Tickler when travel schedule is known/finalized . . . is an appropriate date file [along with particular travel support file {tickets, etc.}] prior to actually travelling as one find's appropriate

As you see GTD fit

Last edited:
@tmlr I'm attempting to adopt GTD more fully and digitally. Your instructions are quite helpful. One thing I did not see more information on is how are you using the Tickler list. Are you applying any specific structure to that list? Is it working well for you? Are you integrating it with calendar?

OR as I have been working with this I have found no real need for a separate Tickler list. If the Next Actions list is basically just a database of items, plus all your projects have their own tasks, then just scheduling things puts them in the Scheduled View. Someone mentioned in a different post that things could go in the tickler to let you know you need to schedule them, but that's not GTD. Takes less than 2 minutes to schedule. Even if you put it on the wrong day you can reschedule once you realize it. Does that make sense?

On a different thought note, is anyone using Reminders Sub Tasks or Sections in List for any of this? There are for sure a lot of layers here that could play into making this easier or more complex.

One snag I have noticed. I have multiple devices and I have had to set the default list on all of them. I put the default at the bottom since it's just a database, so it will not automatically default to it. I have not fully validated the trigger, but It also seems that if I move lists it can unset the chosen list an move back to whatever is your first standard list.

@marco123
But what you probably want is just the first one showing up
You don't do project planning in your GTD tasks system. Project plans are stored separately. I suggest Apple Notes or Obsidian with PARA method. I personally want something with outlining support, is it is either OmniPlan or OmniOutliner. Just a note, the setup you want here _is_ possible but with OmniFocus. There's a setting like that there.

Also can you clarify on how you prioritize tasks?
You don't. If you need to do it at certain time slot then it should be in your calendar. If it has got a due date it goes into "tickler" - 42 folders or in my case I've got "tickler" list and it goes there with due date.

My question basically is if you have 10 private tasks in a context, how do you know what to do now/today?
I look at my energy levels and time available, pick a few that seem realistic, tag them "#today", put my head down and go.

repeating tasks?
They into "tickler" list or in your 42 folders. Im my case it is "Tickler" list. They will show up in "Today" list automatically. Normally when I'm working, I look into "Plan" and "Today" lists. "Plan" is for manually picked up tasks, "Today" is automatic, comes OOB with Apple Reminders.

OR as I have been working with this I have found no real need for a separate Tickler list.

True that, I just wanted to be able to find them easily in case I need to edit them, so I dumped them there.

@TesTeq

> Just to clarify: I understand that you keep each Project's actions always stored on this Project's list. When you promote one of Project's planned action to a Next Action status you just assign a context tag to it? You don't move it to your Next Actions list, yes?

Correct, just assign a tag. When I’m in “doing mode”, I click on contexts group, skim and see what suits. My contexts are mostly modes of operation (feel like sitting at the computer or feel like doing stuff in the shed), not places/tools.
This is great! I just played around with the setup and noticed what @TesTeq was mentioning but wanted to clarify. I added an item to a project and put a context to it. It doesn't show up in Next Actions ... because it is not in that list, it shows up under the project (which is a different list).. right? I am wondering an easy workflow when you are simply capturing items on the fly and then in the processing mode, you need to add that new item that is currently in the Inbox to a Project (so it links to the related project). Are you moving the item to the project, then going into the project list and from there adding context to it?

I've recently posted about being inspired by a wave of 1990s nostalgia, particularly for my old Palm Pilot, which gave me a sense of simplicity and clarity in personal information management. Drawing from that, I've revisited experimenting with Apple Reminders, using the old Palm OS Task app as a kind of North Star. While this setup might not be what you'd call "pure" GTD, the principles are still very much in play. So far, it feels like I’m finding a balance between simplicity and functionality that aligns with how my brain naturally organizes and processes information.

Here’s how I’ve structured my set up:

- Areas: Taking a cue from Things 3, I’ve set up flat lists for my four main areas—Personal, Work, School (MBA), and Family (which I might rename to "Community"). I also have an Inbox and a Someday list.

- Projects & Next Actions: With the addition of Sections in Reminders, I can create a dedicated Projects section for each Area. This helps keep related projects and tasks separate across Personal, Work, School, etc. Each multi-step project gets a #Project tag, allowing me to view a full list of projects across all areas by tapping the hashtag. I also like to link my next actions to their parent project, nesting those actions below the project name and tagging them with a #context. Single actions go under the Next Actions section for their respective area with a #context.

- Handling Deadlines: While I wish Reminders had a Start Date function like Things 3, I've been strict about using Due Dates only for true deadlines. This has helped me rely less on a Today view and instead encourages me to regularly review and engage with my lists to decide what to work on. For tasks with impending deadlines, I can easily check the Scheduled view. The new "early reminder" feature is also useful, as it acts as a pseudo start date by notifying me to start working on a task a few days before its actual deadline.

- Reference Group: I’ve also created a Reference group for non- or semi-actionable lists like Shopping, Gift Ideas, Restaurants, Books, TV/Movies, etc.

I’m only two days into this experiment, but I’m already enjoying the simplicity. It feels like it’s giving me a bit more clarity and flexibility in my system.

Attachments

• IMG_0107.png
    IMG_0107.png
    778.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
This is great! I just played around with the setup and noticed what @TesTeq was mentioning but wanted to clarify. I added an item to a project and put a context to it. It doesn't show up in Next Actions ... because it is not in that list, it shows up under the project (which is a different list).. right? I am wondering an easy workflow when you are simply capturing items on the fly and then in the processing mode, you need to add that new item that is currently in the Inbox to a Project (so it links to the related project). Are you moving the item to the project, then going into the project list and from there adding context to it?
It shouldn't show up in "Next Actions"
In this setup you have several "Next Actions" list but you don't really look at them. At least when you're I "do" mode. You look into them when you reviewing/planning.

Project related items go into specific project lists and get tags assigned.
Items with no related project, one-off items, migrate from "Inbox" into "Next Actions" and get a context assigned.

When you're in "do" mode then, you look at your context. Contexts smart lists and context groups are you real "next items" list. Click on @ctx group - you'll have all your tasks from projects and this "catch all next actions" broken down into groups per context. Or click specific context if you wish.

Notice, you don't copy them there, contexts are _smart_ lists, they are configured for a tag. You tag your items to make them present in your "virtual" next actions list.

Btw, it also might answer @marco123 question - pre-create all the tasks in your project list all you want but don't tag more than one and it won't be in the "virtual" next items.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-11 at 10.22.56 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-11 at 10.22.56 PM.png
    506.1 KB · Views: 46
It shouldn't show up in "Next Actions"
In this setup you have several "Next Actions" list but you don't really look at them. At least when you're I "do" mode. You look into them when you reviewing/planning.

Project related items go into specific project lists and get tags assigned.
Items with no related project, one-off items, migrate from "Inbox" into "Next Actions" and get a context assigned.

When you're in "do" mode then, you look at your context. Contexts smart lists and context groups are you real "next items" list. Click on @ctx group - you'll have all your tasks from projects and this "catch all next actions" broken down into groups per context. Or click specific context if you wish.

Notice, you don't copy them there, contexts are _smart_ lists, they are configured for a tag. You tag your items to make them present in your "virtual" next actions list.

Btw, it also might answer @marco123 question - pre-create all the tasks in your project list all you want but don't tag more than one and it won't be in the "virtual" next items.
Great that’s exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for clarifying!

I've recently posted about being inspired by a wave of 1990s nostalgia, particularly for my old Palm Pilot, which gave me a sense of simplicity and clarity in personal information management. Drawing from that, I've revisited experimenting with Apple Reminders, using the old Palm OS Task app as a kind of North Star. While this setup might not be what you'd call "pure" GTD, the principles are still very much in play. So far, it feels like I’m finding a balance between simplicity and functionality that aligns with how my brain naturally organizes and processes information.

Here’s how I’ve structured my set up:

- Areas: Taking a cue from Things 3, I’ve set up flat lists for my four main areas—Personal, Work, School (MBA), and Family (which I might rename to "Community"). I also have an Inbox and a Someday list.

- Projects & Sections: With the addition of Sections in Reminders, I can create a dedicated Projects section for each Area. This helps keep related projects and tasks separate across Personal, Work, School, etc. Each multi-step project gets a #Project tag, allowing me to view a full list of projects across all areas by tapping the hashtag. I also like to link my next actions to their parent project, nesting those actions below the project name and tagging them with a #context. Single actions go under the Next Actions section for their respective area with a #context.

- Handling Deadlines: While I wish Reminders had a Start Date function like Things 3, I've been strict about using Due Dates only for true deadlines. This has helped me rely less on a Today view and instead encourages me to regularly review and engage with my lists to decide what to work on. For tasks with impending deadlines, I can easily check the Scheduled view. The new "early reminder" feature is also useful, as it acts as a pseudo start date by notifying me to start working on a task a few days before its actual deadline.

- Reference Group: I’ve also created a Reference group for non- or semi-actionable lists like Shopping, Gift Ideas, Restaurants, Books, TV/Movies, etc.

I’m only two days into this experiment, but I’m already enjoying the simplicity. It feels like it’s giving me a bit more clarity and flexibility in my system.
Love this! I’ve debated putting those reference items such as lists of books, movies, when in___, etc into Reminders and then deeper reference in my reference app (currently Evernote but debating moving to Notes).

@TheSeiglerGroup I've tried both, and I prefer Reminders because of the convenience of using Siri for quick capture. It's incredibly helpful to simply say, "Hey Siri, add toothpaste to my shopping list" or "Hey Siri, add Via Locusta to my restaurants list" directly into my phone or Apple Watch. Even when I was using Things 3 as my main GTD system (and may still choose to return to after this experiment), I used Reminders for these types of lists for that reason.

In actuality, these lists function more like subsets of Someday/Maybe rather than as true Reference materials. For true reference content, such as manuals, web clippings, recipes, meeting notes, or saved articles, I use Apple Notes for personal items and OneNote for work.

@TheSeiglerGroup I've tried both, and I prefer Reminders because of the convenience of using Siri for quick capture. It's incredibly helpful to simply say, "Hey Siri, add toothpaste to my shopping list" or "Hey Siri, add Via Locusta to my restaurants list" directly into my phone or Apple Watch. Even when I was using Things 3 as my main GTD system (and may still choose to return to after this experiment), I used Reminders for these types of lists for that reason.

In actuality, these lists function more like subsets of Someday/Maybe rather than as true Reference materials. For true reference content, such as manuals, web clippings, recipes, meeting notes, or saved articles, I use Apple Notes for personal items and OneNote for work.
Agreed. I was using todoist and would say "In ToDoIst, remind me to _____". But I have tested what you said and it very nice when you are driving to say "add X to my grocery list" or "add research contractors for the expansion to my anywhere list". It takes no more effort yet saves a step on the backend.

Very handy, thanks for sharing.

When I used Apple Reminders, I archived my completed reminders/actions with an Apple Shortcut that would create all-day events on my calendar from the completed items. Each item was logged on the date it was completed. The format I used was:

[x] Name of action (project name)

In this setup, each project was a list, and contexts were specified using tags. I found it great because once a project was completed, I could simply run the shortcut and then delete the list from reminders. My log of actions (and their associated projects) was easily accessible in my calendar, which was great for tracking progress during weekly reviews and billing clients.
could you please share your shortcut?

My take on that is also if I can do stuff with OOB software, then I shall. The less setup I've got the better. This Reminders setup if sully synchronised with iCloud and I don't need to install or do anything when I migrate to another Mac or iPhone.

I'm chasing the same approach with all other of my software. For example, I stopped using Notability in favour of Apple's Freeform that comes pre-installed. I am a software developer, so I stopped using highly admired iTerm2 in favour of Apple's built-in Terminal, etc, etc, etc.

Same reason for be using Notes instead of Obsidian. Trying to be as "default" as possible.

Thanks @tmlr for this amazing Reminders setup. To fit it for my own stupid brain, I applied some changes to the initial design:

1. I merged contexts and projects and now everything is a tag. I wanted to have just one type of categorizations, instead of two different types (tags vs lists)
2. My "Next Actions" is yet another "Any tags" smart list.

So like your original design everything that doesn't have a tag, remains in Inbox. By assigning a tag to stuff in the Inbox, they automatically go to "Next Actions" and also go to their respective smart list. If I want to see Places and Projects in different groups, I can just create different groups and add my projects / places smart lists into these groups.

Do you foresee any issues with this structure?

I have purchased "Setting up iPhone" and "Setting up iPad" guides and I found them lacking. I then purchased "Setting up OmniFocus" and after reading it I had an epiphany so I set up my Apple Reminders and I'm sharing it here in case someone finds it helpful.

Some assumptions that I'm making:
  • I read somewhere that managing everything using list apps is wrong. Areas of Focus should be in a separate tool, like a mind map or some kind of text document.
  • I assume that we all agree with it, even though "everything in lists" might work for someone.
Ok, here we go.

First, some basic rules:​

• Tags are Contexts and Contexts are Tags.
  • Everything scheduled goes into one global list.
  • Sometime/Someday is a collection of lists, not one list.
  • Groups will present all of the items from all included lists grouped by those lists. You want to use it.

Basic lists.​

1. Create a list, call it "Next Actions"
  2. Create a list, call it "Waiting For"
  3. Create a list, call it "Tickler".
  4. Go into settings and set "Next Actions" as your default list.
That is all regular global lists you'll need.

Projects Lists​

1. Create list for each project (a project is anything that has more than 1 action). With this setup you can even add sequential actions in a form of pre-planning (GTD recommends to store those separately)
  2. Drag and drop one project list onto another to form a group.
  3. Call that group "projects"
  4. Drag and drop rest of project lists into that group. Or create new projects right in the group.

Now to Errands, I call them "places":​

1. Create a list designating a location. Example, in my setup, I've got a list called "Bunnings". In fact, every "place" list is prefixed with this emoji.
  2. Create another list designating a location.
  3. Drag and drop them onto each other to create a group.
  4. Call the group " places".

Now to Contexts. We will be creating smart lists here.​

1. Create a new list. During creation in "List type" specify "Smart List". Call it "@home".
  2. In the rules choose "Include reminders matching all" of the following filters
  3. Add filter "Tags", type "All selected" and type tag "#home" in the values
  4. Add filter "Date", type "No date".
  5. Save.
  6. Create another smart list for another context just like we did.
  7. Drag and drop one context list on top of another context list to make a group
  8. Call the group "@ctx" or "@contexts"

Now to Inbox​

1. Create new smart list, call it "Inbox"
  2. In the rules choose "Include reminders matching all" of the following filters
  3. Add filter "Tags", type "Untagged Reminders Only"
  4. Add filter "Lists", type "Include Selected List", value - "Next Actions"
  5. Click "Ok" to create the list.
  6. Now, do a right click, or "option click" in Mac terminology on the "Inbox" list
  7. Click "Pin List"
  8. List will be pinned in the area above all the lists. Drag and drop it in the top left corner so you know where it is.

Sometime/Someday​

1. Create regular lists just like for Projects and Places
  2. Group them into a group by drag-n-dropping them onto each other.

How it works​

Capture:
  • Click onto "Inbox" and add reminders.
  • They will go into "Next Actions"
  • And they will be untagged.
  • Because they are untagged they show up in your Inbox.
Project Planning:
  • Simply add stuff into appropriate project list.
  • Keep them untagged if they are not ready to show up in contexts.
Review
  • Go to Inbox and assign appropriate context tags to tasks
  • They will go away from Inbox and will show up in the appropriate context list.
  • If you don't have a smart list for this context tag yet, add a new smart list as per "Contexts" section.
  • Same works for actions in projects and someday/maybe
Areas of Focus
  • Sometimes we do want to group projects by Areas of Focus
  • Simple create more project groups and name them appropriately.
  • Review is the same, just yet another group of lists.
I see you have Plan and Idle smart lists pinned. What are those for and how are they setup?

I see you have Plan and Idle smart lists pinned. What are those for and how are they setup?
Plan is just things I picked to do today, or things that came up that I want to do today. Sometimes I break tasks into smaller pieces so I can keep a steady flow, they also go into Plan.

Idle is a context. In my work sometimes there are processes where I need to wait. I’ve got things in that list which I want to watch/read during such times of forced downtime. Or may be when I’m waiting for my wife to finish shopping.

I really like this workflow but one thing I’ve noticed is it doesn’t handle subtasks very well. The context smart lists don’t show up subtasks like they show up in normal lists.