Struggling with GTD - Lack of Apps/Tools I like

theilluminated

Registered
I've been trying GTD for a while, and it has worked to a certain extent. Now I find myself having certain expectations that I am unable to fulfill due to the programs I use.

Most of what I do it on the computer. Whatever I get in paper is filed by projects, or general contexts like receipt/bills. Doing things on paper is pretty much okay. However I am really struggling with the digital bit.

I'm on Windows and the lack of bearable applications is astounding to me. My criteria is that I want to have an application that syncs with my iPhone, mostly the next actions lists and inbox functionality. Inbox functionality is not even that important since I write most things down on paper.

What I am feeling is that most applications have a tendency to be overly complex, annoying to use or simply has an interface that makes me want to vomit. This might be because they are all Windows-based applications since I haven't seen the same annoyance with Mac-based apps.

However I have come to the point where I am not satisfied with any of the "task-based" applications, and have spent so much time (and money) and getting nothing back in return.

I've tried Toodledo, Todo (for iOS), setting up Outlook 2007 with the GTD system and tried to sync that with the rest. Evernote had promise until I found out that the iOS-apps does not show stacked notebooks.

My needs are really easy. I have a few projects going:
  • Writing a book
  • Studying Design
  • X-mas shopping
  • Learning Korean
  • Creating a personal website

Most, if not everything there can be handled on the computer. I don't need some overly complex program to put these into a project format and then create the outcome and next actions lists that are based on context. But every step of the way I feel that I am fighting with the program that should make my life easier.

Email is okay. Using IMAP my iPhone and Outlook can talk happily with each other, and I just archive emails in a hierachy in Outlook. Calendar is also easily, using iCloud I place reminders and get them on my phone, I don't need anything else.

It is the projects and next actions lists I am struggling with specifically. I do not have anything that I can call a trusted system. It is the combination of those two, and a lack of a decent program ala OmniFocus on Windows which makes me sad, really sad.

I'm at the point where I actually feel like giving up GTD. Learned a lot from it, made me change a lot of habits, and although it is very promising it just really sucks (excuse my French) spending a lot of time, energy and getting frustrated over the lack of a okay workflow.

Plantsman

Registered
Have you tried Nozbe?

I also work on PC's and have an iPhone and an iPad. I tried a number of PC GTD solutions and many ios apps and settled on Nozbe. I didn't like the costs at all for the apps- must by seperate ones for iPhone and iPad- and yearly service, but as they say you get what you pay for. It was set up with GTD in mind, has a great user interface, is very flexible, syncs across all platforms, and links with Evernote and Dropbox. Give it a try. Good luck!

mcogilvie

Registered
My advice is to blow off outlook for everything but email.
Use toodledo for web and iOS. Toodledo can be tarted up
or stripped down. If you can't make it work at all for you,
then I don't really know what to say.

theilluminated

Registered
mcogilvie;93186 said:
My advice is to blow off outlook for everything but email.
Use toodledo for web and iOS. Toodledo can be tarted up
or stripped down. If you can't make it work at all for you,
then I don't really know what to say.

One issue with Toodledo: The Windows clients are annoying to me. I know that sounds really superficial (probably is), but if one does not like a system it messes up the whole idea with GTD.

Using the browser would just be for emergencies, web-based programs are usually slow and I do not have the best connection these days.

theilluminated

Registered
Plantsman;93185 said:
I also work on PC's and have an iPhone and an iPad. I tried a number of PC GTD solutions and many ios apps and settled on Nozbe. I didn't like the costs at all for the apps- must by seperate ones for iPhone and iPad- and yearly service, but as they say you get what you pay for. It was set up with GTD in mind, has a great user interface, is very flexible, syncs across all platforms, and links with Evernote and Dropbox. Give it a try. Good luck!

This actually looks like a good solution, paying a yearly subscription is not out of my league, so I do not mind that at all. Especially since it has 60-days money back guarantee. I'll try it.

An additional question: Has anyone tried GTD using only the iPad and OmniFocus?

Barb

Registered
Yes

theilluminated;93189 said:
This actually looks like a good solution, paying a yearly subscription is not out of my league, so I do not mind that at all. Especially since it has 60-days money back guarantee. I'll try it.

An additional question: Has anyone tried GTD using only the iPad and OmniFocus?

I'm a PC user that used the Outlook add-in for many, many years. About 3 months ago, I switch my GTD system over to Omnifocus on the iPad. I couldn't be more thrilled with it! I believe they offer a 30-day free trial still...you may want to just download the app and play with it. Customer service is fabulous and will answer any questions you may have.

I still use my Outlook calendar, contacts and email. It's no big deal to just use OF for my task lists. I just keep my iPad open on my desk and swivel to it if I need something.

And, btw, I'm in my 10th-year of doing GTD and can't imagine my life without it--even if I went to paper. It's not about the tool, really it isn't.

theilluminated

Registered
Thanks Barb!

Can I ask how you go about the Natural Planning Model? I don't have an iPad, but I have wanted one for a very, very long time. If OmniFocus is that good I'll just have to get one, being so portable that I could take my projects with me everywhere!

theilluminated

Registered
Tried Nozbe for ten minutes, looks very promising but it has one deal-breaker for me. Not able to create sub-tasks or sub-projects.

In my Studying Design project I have to do the following:
Learn:
  1. Adobe Photoshop
  2. Adobe InDesign
  3. Adobe Illustrator
They could be primary tasks or sub-projects under Projects list. Under them I need:
  • Lynda.com Course: Adobe InDesign Essentials
  • Lynda.com Course: Illustrator One-on-One

Under that again I would have each chapter of the course listed so I know where I got off each time. Without having that hierarchy the system is not good enough for my need. Really starting to feel like the person in the Princess and the Pea here...

Barb

Registered
Tools and planning

theilluminated;93192 said:
Thanks Barb!

Can I ask how you go about the Natural Planning Model? I don't have an iPad, but I have wanted one for a very, very long time. If OmniFocus is that good I'll just have to get one, being so portable that I could take my projects with me everywhere!

I know some people plan every project and load all possible actions as far as they can see into the future into their system--regardless of what that system is, but I keep my system lean and clean so it doesn't repel me. When I have complex projects, I plan them using Mindmaps and load only those tasks that are not dependent on OTHER tasks being done first. So a project might have a few @computer items, a few@errands and so on and so on...but I stay on top of the overall project by doing Weekly (and I do mean WEEKLY) reviews.

GTD is really more about using your tool as a placeholder to help you remember where you left off in a project--you might find you like it better if you don't try to load up everything you're going to do in every context for the next year into your system. Others may disagree with me, but I keep project plans separate from my system until I'm actually ready to think about DOING those individual tasks.

Hope that helps. And hope you'll treat yourself to that iPad. I never dreamed I'd use it as much as I do or that it would be as cool as it is! :p

GTDWorks

Registered
Can't agree more with Barb. I used to "load up" as many of my next actions as possible in my Projects. It become unwieldy. It's amazing how, now, I can do minimum advance planning and just flow with the system, completing one NA and then easily capturing the very next action after that - all the way through to completion.

PS: I also LOVE my iPad!

mcogilvie

Registered
theilluminated;93192 said:
Thanks Barb!

By "very, very long time" I assume you mean some sort of Internet time where in 18 months products are born, live and die, like the case of, uh, what was that HP tablet called again? ;) Unless of course you have lusted after a Dynabook for decades...

Two caveats about Omnifocus and the iPad (and I use them too): Most people are using the iPad version with a desktop, and also Barb is very familiar with GTD. Your mileage may vary.

greyf1

Registered
I use ActionList on my iPhone. It syncs with toodledo.
You might also want to look at Listmaker. Very simple app.
Omnifocus is way out of my budget. ($100 for the Mac & iPhone app) 😖

tommysqueak

Registered
Doit.im

Doit.im is a really nice free multi-device system. I've been doing some reviews for my needs, which device-wise are Android and Mac. I'm kind of the opposite to you with Windows and IPhone, as most seem to be iphone and mac.

Here's the review http://tomphilip.me/index.php/gtd-app-review-doit-im/

It doesn't have sub-tasks again but I've found that most don't (Toodledo being the exception).

theilluminated

Registered
Time moves so fast that I did not even think it has only been about 18 months since the iPad was launched! Went back into the thinking box and decided to do this a little more gradually. Instead of looking for a system with perfection in mind I will find one that is good enough for the moment.

While I yearn for doing several projects simultaneously it is not that extremely important just yet, so I can create a system that is good enough for two, at most three projects. My bet is that having an iPad with OmniFocus would actually solve my issues and create the system I want. However that money may be needed to fund a Macbook Air (for the graphics design study) since I do not have a laptop, though I will have OmniFocus loaded on it anyway.

TLDR/Conclusion;
Decided to go with a basic system for present needs, not investing heavily before I get either the iPad or MBA with OmniFocus.

Simply play around the system, keep it fun and not be so serious where perfection is a need. Sometimes I take things too seriously, this seems to be one of them! ;)

caseyhernandez

Registered
theilluminated;93184 said:
I've been trying GTD for a while, and it has worked to a certain extent. Now I find myself having certain expectations that I am unable to fulfill due to the programs I use.

Most of what I do it on the computer. Whatever I get in paper is filed by projects, or general contexts like receipt/bills. Doing things on paper is pretty much okay. However I am really struggling with the digital bit.

I'm on Windows and the lack of bearable applications is astounding to me. My criteria is that I want to have an application that syncs with my iPhone, mostly the next actions lists and inbox functionality. Inbox functionality is not even that important since I write most things down on paper.

What I am feeling is that most applications have a tendency to be overly complex, annoying to use or simply has an interface that makes me want to vomit. This might be because they are all Windows-based applications since I haven't seen the same annoyance with Mac-based apps.

However I have come to the point where I am not satisfied with any of the "task-based" applications, and have spent so much time (and money) and getting nothing back in return.

I've tried Toodledo, Todo (for iOS), setting up Outlook 2007 with the GTD system and tried to sync that with the rest. Evernote had promise until I found out that the iOS-apps does not show stacked notebooks.

My needs are really easy. I have a few projects going:
  • Writing a book
  • Studying Design
  • X-mas shopping
  • Learning Korean
  • Creating a personal website

Most, if not everything there can be handled on the computer. I don't need some overly complex program to put these into a project format and then create the outcome and next actions lists that are based on context. But every step of the way I feel that I am fighting with the program that should make my life easier.

Email is okay. Using IMAP my iPhone and Outlook can talk happily with each other, and I just archive emails in a hierachy in Outlook. Calendar is also easily, using iCloud I place reminders and get them on my phone, I don't need anything else.

It is the projects and next actions lists I am struggling with specifically. I do not have anything that I can call a trusted system. It is the combination of those two, and a lack of a decent program ala OmniFocus on Windows which makes me sad, really sad.

I'm at the point where I actually feel like giving up GTD. Learned a lot from it, made me change a lot of habits, and although it is very promising it just really sucks (excuse my French) spending a lot of time, energy and getting frustrated over the lack of a okay workflow.

I think what you should need is proper time allocation. If you say that you don't have the things you need, why don't you invest time to find for them? I'm not that techy, but what I can say is that if you needed to do those things listed, you should buy some time for preparing what you really need.

wishgtd

Registered
Dear OP

Dear OP,

I took on credit card debt with limited means to pay for a MacBook pro 13-inch which I purchased last year. I am still paying for it. I bought it only because of OmniFocus. I am currently using an iPad I borrowed and use OF on it.

The systematic approach is tool agnostic. you can maintain it how you like whether in mindmaps or OmniFocus or things or PAPER!

Control in the system is clearly defined and perspectives will always involve self-talk.

Get the Mac to give yourself a kick-start, not a guilt trip. I am getting back on the bandwagon because of the "making it all work" book.

mcogilvie

Registered
theilluminated;93222 said:
Simply play around the system, keep it fun and not be so serious where perfection is a need. Sometimes I take things too seriously, this seems to be one of them! ;)

Good thoughts!

Barb

Registered
The main thing

I said this earlier...either in this thread or a similar thread about the iPad and Omnifocus...it's not about the tool! Once you truly understand GTD, you can make ANYTHING work.

Many people new to GTD spend SO much time trying to find the "perfect" tool. Let me save you some time: It doesn't exist! Spend that time learning the methodology and THEN tinker around with the various tools.

The fastest and easiest way to get up and running on GTD is actually paper. No learning curve and portable. Once you really know what you're doing (it takes a while), then off you go to play with the various tools.

Mark Jantzen

Registered
Barb;93257 said:
Once you truly understand GTD, you can make ANYTHING work.

This is so KEY. Once you really know GTD and get Weekly Reviews into your tool kit picking the right list manager (for YOU) becomes a lot easier.

OmniFocus is my list manager of choice but it took some work to get there. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for a GTD newbie.

Hope that helps a little.

theilluminated

Registered
I think what you should need is proper time allocation. If you say that you don't have the things you need, why don't you invest time to find for them? I'm not that techy, but what I can say is that if you needed to do those things listed, you should buy some time for preparing what you really need.

Time allocation is not an issue for me right now. The projects I have ongoing are things I wish to have ongoing, few of them are needed in that sense. That is why I have decreased the number of projects I am simultaneously doing. Certain projects are interconnected to others, so a nice system to have everything in place is a must. Reducing my expectations, or realizing my current limitations, gave me the opportunity to see my needs (or wishes) differently.

Dear OP,

I took on credit card debt with limited means to pay for a MacBook pro 13-inch which I purchased last year. I am still paying for it. I bought it only because of OmniFocus. I am currently using an iPad I borrowed and use OF on it.

The systematic approach is tool agnostic. you can maintain it how you like whether in mindmaps or OmniFocus or things or PAPER!

Control in the system is clearly defined and perspectives will always involve self-talk.

Get the Mac to give yourself a kick-start, not a guilt trip. I am getting back on the bandwagon because of the "making it all work"

I decided to get the Macbook Air early next year before my graphics study kicks in. Buying it earlier is not an option, but I will use OmniFocus when I get it. Meanwhile I am doing what I can to reduce clutter in my current system. For instance I have several email accounts, but now I have fully migrated over to iCloud where I got a new account. The old email will either be migrated, deleted or printed for reference. Same goes with contacts and everything else.

Adding or creating a personal system (GTD) will always require some effort to maintain. If clutter is already reduced in other areas of your life (several email accounts etc) the process will be more streamlined and there will be less to fight about. Right now I have accounts on many other systems (Evernote for example) and I will delete all my accounts, leaving only what I need.

I said this earlier...either in this thread or a similar thread about the iPad and Omnifocus...it's not about the tool! Once you truly understand GTD, you can make ANYTHING work.

Many people new to GTD spend SO much time trying to find the "perfect" tool. Let me save you some time: It doesn't exist! Spend that time learning the methodology and THEN tinker around with the various tools.

The fastest and easiest way to get up and running on GTD is actually paper. No learning curve and portable. Once you really know what you're doing (it takes a while), then off you go to play with the various tools.

Finding the perfect tool is easy when you have a list of criterias, and having spent most of my time in front of a computer I easily get the feeling whether or not I like something. I admit that I have tried often to find the perfect tool and I fell into that trap more than once, only to realize that I had not created a list over specific criterias. Sometimes the issue is the lack of criterias, sometimes it could be the lack of being honest with yourself, thinking that you need things you don't need.

Doing "light-weight" GTD with a few big projects at the time, having an inbox with paper (and email), lists that I can either expand into small projects with Next Actions lists is working pretty good for me right now. Being a long time computer user I fell into the trap of "keeping things because you can", now I delete things because I can. If it is not important, delete or throw it away.

Smaller projects (X-mas shopping) are pretty much created where I fill in the NA-list pretty fast, detailing everything as I go. Going through the natural planning model is not needed for that, only the big projects.

I've been practicing GTD for over six months now, and my own personal view is that people should start out completely on paper. Of course people have to handle emails etc, but until they get used to the methodology they probably will fall into the "perfect tool trap". A beginner never really realize what he/she needs, over-or underestimating it completely, only to chase tool after tool.

Most important of all, failure never happens until you quit.