The latest greatest in palm/phone combos

H

Headhunter Bill

There are some new mobile phone/PDA combinations on the market.

Any reviews/comments/suggestions? I am still playing the Sanyo phone - Sony Clie' juggling act.

Thanks,
Bill.

felixc

Registered
HandSpring Treo

I use the handspring treo 180. If you like the Palm OS, I think it is the best combination out there. The keyboard version is fantastic. I've used the Palm since 1995 and would never go back to Graffiti.

Its a great device but the phone software integration is still in its first iteration. Its decent but is not phenomenal. Given HandSpring's track record I would expect it to get better.

The functioning of the device is a bit slow. For example, if you punch in a speed-dial number there is a noticeable delay of several seconds before the call is initiated.

But these are minor quibbles. All in all, its been a great device to have. If you find that you're always carrying a palm and a phone, you may like it.

If I could provide some advice, get the color version (Treo 270 or Treo 300). The 180's screen is a bit dim; like a throwback to the palm3 or earlier monochrome editions.

Hope this helps

chris

Registered
Does the handspring have a voice memo, and how much does it weigh

I find the voice memo (90 sec of recording time) in my Ericsson T39 invaluable
As the phone is so small I never leave it behind (comfortably fits in any pocket), and at the press of one button I can record any idea that pops into my mind - similar to David's 'evening module' but no need to write anything
I then put these into actions once or twice a day.

I find the phone/PDA combos a bit big, so I think I might not always take it everywhere

felixc

Registered
Handspring

The handspring does not have a voicememo capability with the 180 and it weighs 5.7 oz.

It is heavier than what I was used to (a tiny 3.5 oz phone) but I like the functionality.