• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

The latest greatest in palm/phone combos

  • Thread starter Thread starter Headhunter Bill
  • Start date Start date
H

Headhunter Bill

Guest
There are some new mobile phone/PDA combinations on the market.

Any reviews/comments/suggestions? I am still playing the Sanyo phone - Sony Clie' juggling act.

Thanks,
Bill.
 
HandSpring Treo

I use the handspring treo 180. If you like the Palm OS, I think it is the best combination out there. The keyboard version is fantastic. I've used the Palm since 1995 and would never go back to Graffiti.

Its a great device but the phone software integration is still in its first iteration. Its decent but is not phenomenal. Given HandSpring's track record I would expect it to get better.

The functioning of the device is a bit slow. For example, if you punch in a speed-dial number there is a noticeable delay of several seconds before the call is initiated.

But these are minor quibbles. All in all, its been a great device to have. If you find that you're always carrying a palm and a phone, you may like it.

If I could provide some advice, get the color version (Treo 270 or Treo 300). The 180's screen is a bit dim; like a throwback to the palm3 or earlier monochrome editions.

Hope this helps
 
Does the handspring have a voice memo, and how much does it weigh

I find the voice memo (90 sec of recording time) in my Ericsson T39 invaluable
As the phone is so small I never leave it behind (comfortably fits in any pocket), and at the press of one button I can record any idea that pops into my mind - similar to David's 'evening module' but no need to write anything
I then put these into actions once or twice a day.

I find the phone/PDA combos a bit big, so I think I might not always take it everywhere
 
Handspring

The handspring does not have a voicememo capability with the 180 and it weighs 5.7 oz.

It is heavier than what I was used to (a tiny 3.5 oz phone) but I like the functionality.
 
Top