The missing GTD list found in Poland! "Conscious resignation"

TesTeq

Registered
One of Polish GTDers (Krzysztof J. Bytomski) has found/discovered/invented the missing GTD list. Let me explain it briefly.

As we all know @DavidAllen has defined two basic lists for projects:
1. Projects - for active Projects.
2. Someday/Maybe - for future, "not now" stuff.

But what about projects that you decided not to do?

Their place is on the third list: "Conscious resignation".

For example you've considered all pros and cons and finally decided not to buy a summer house. But you keep forgetting about all these cons and a summer house dream keeps bugging your mind. To get rid of this not fully closed loop put "The Summer House Project" on your "Conscious resignation" list with short explanation why you shouldn't buy a summer house. Keep reviewing this list regularly and each time when the dreams come to bug you!

I love this idea! What about you, my dear friends?
@Jodie E. Francis @Oogiem @John Forrister @mcogilvie @Longstreet

Mateusz

Registered
At the first glance having such list sounds strange to me. But on the other hand I caught myself many times when I was thinking about things that I considered before and decided not to do.
I wonder if reviewing such list won’t be painful after months and years. As I understand it is incremental list more like archive.

When it comes to your example I would rather use my reference system to keep that information.

ERJ1

Jedi Master
One of Polish GTDers (Krzysztof J. Bytomski) has found/discovered/invented the missing GTD list. Let me explain it briefly.

As we all know @DavidAllen has defined two basic lists for projects:
1. Projects - for active Projects.
2. Someday/Maybe - for future, "not now" stuff.

But what about projects that you decided not to do?

Their place is on the third list: "Conscious resignation".

For example you've considered all pros and cons and finally decided not to buy a summer house. But you keep forgetting about all these cons and a summer house dream keeps bugging your mind. To get rid of this not fully closed loop put "The Summer House Project" on your "Conscious resignation" list with short explanation why you shouldn't buy a summer house. Keep reviewing this list regularly and each time when the dreams come to bug you!

I love this idea! What about you, my dear friends?
@Jodie E. Francis @Oogiem @John Forrister @mcogilvie @Longstreet
This is awesome! I've also heard of people creating "DO NOT" lists with similar ideas. Love it and will implement.

ERJ1

Jedi Master
This is awesome! I've also heard of people creating "DO NOT" lists with similar ideas. Love it and will implement.
Yesterday I created the list in my digital reference system! I've started attempting to use Evernote, so I figured this would be the place to keep it for now. First item that I'll never do? Purchase Apple products!

I tend to get distracted by fantasizing about them and there are definitely lots of reasons for me personally to not pursue them. It's already been a bit helpful to remind myself of all the reasons to stick to my guns!

TesTeq

Registered
Yesterday I created the list in my digital reference system! I've started attempting to use Evernote, so I figured this would be the place to keep it for now. First item that I'll never do? Purchase Apple products!

I tend to get distracted by fantasizing about them and there are definitely lots of reasons for me personally to not pursue them. It's already been a bit helpful to remind myself of all the reasons to stick to my guns!
Yes, that's the perfect use case for the "Conscious resignation" list!

Mateusz

Registered
Yesterday I created the list in my digital reference system!
I did the same in my Nirvana references system. References module in Nirvana isn’t a real reference system but it is perfect for simple notes and collections of non actionable items. Seems to be perfect for this purpose.
First item added.

OF user

Registered
@TesTeq I can certainly see how this can give a fuller picture and for those who like to see that, it is a great idea. For me personally, i have so many items that once I decide to move on from something - I just don't want to see it anymore :)

bcmyers2112

Registered
I'm of the "never say never" philosophy. There have been too many changes in my life that led me to do things I had written off as "impossible" or "undesirable" for me to assign something to what is basically a "will never do" list.

I'm comfortable putting even the unlikeliest of things in Someday/Maybe status for that reason.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I'm a big believer in DA's philosophy of doing anything that "works for you and not against you." If a "conscious resignation" list helps you, more power to you.

But I thought I'd offer a different perspective as additional food for thought.

RobertWall

Registered
I like the idea. I don't know that I'd put *everything* on the list, but I know I've had a couple of things come up repeatedly where I wind up spinning my wheels figuring out why I never did something before.

"I should buy a _______".

Then after 20-30 minutes of noodling on it I remember that I had this idea a year and a half ago, and the reason I didn't wind up pulling the trigger was that there were non-obvious hidden costs.

Having a "you didn't do this because...." list might be good for cases like that. The difference in GTD parlance is that this is reference material rather than a project list. So if you have a suspicion that you might have considered your idea before, *then* you could go to your reference list.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't put this in a regular review of any sort. :)

Tom_Hagen

Registered
Bothers me one think. What if I write down on that list: Never to possess "Conscious resignation" list. Will the system blow out? ;)

Oogiem

Registered
I know I've had a couple of things come up repeatedly where I wind up spinning my wheels figuring out why I never did something before.
I have a few projects where I started them, did much of the research and started next actions, then realized that to complete the project would take more time, $ or energy than I was willing to put into it. So I archived my research, created a Someday/Maybe but not by me list and have on occasion pulled the old project out and handed it lock, stock and barrel to someone who does want to carry it forward. Why not let them benefit from my previous research?

But I agree that it's not a review weekly list, more like once a quarter at the most and sometimes even just once a every year or 2.

topshelf

Registered
This is a list I've used with somewhat regularity and should probably use more often. I've named it different things over the years like "random reminders" and "the scrapyard," but I like "conscious resignation." Thanks for the reminder of the value of such a list.

Mateusz

Registered
I came across an app in the app store which has predefined list called “Not to do”. It seems to be very solid idea.
A1510075-8DBC-4A74-B4DE-4B4ED045B7E2.png

Registered
Ever since I first started doing GTD in 2006 I draw a slash through the checkbox for "this is now being tracked elsewhere", a checkmark for "this is done", and an X for "I've decided to not do this".
Early on I decided for myself to try to do my best to teach myself to see the X as the most satifying and best option.

Last edited:

TesTeq

Registered
I came across an app in the app store which has predefined list called “Not to do”. It seems to be very solid idea.
View attachment 532
I'm against using "no", "not", or "don't". When I say "dont't think about a pink elephant" what do you think about?
Similarly when I say to myself "don't eat cookies" I feel the urge to go to the kitchen...
"Conscious resignation" doesn't use "no", "not", or "don't".