Things 3 and GTD

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss Tools & Software for GTD' started by mcogilvie, May 19, 2017.

1. chirmer

chirmer Registered

Web & graphic designer, marketer
    Home Page:
    Ohh, good to know! I didn't realize they performed differently. That makes sense, thanks!

2. Mindfulcraig

Mindfulcraig Registered

Are you able/willing to send a couple of screen shots to demonstrate this setup? I'm intrigued

3. photodiva

photodiva Registered

I just have all my projects listed by Area, so under Work I see the name of each project. Then in the section at the top called Anytime, I create the next actions with appropriate tags (@Mac, @Mac Work, Waiting For, etc.). It's just very clean and basic. Project List.png Next Actions.png

4. Mindfulcraig

Mindfulcraig Registered

Ah, so your Projects are not Things Projects, but rather tasks under the Area of Focus(?)

If so, would that not cause them to show up in your anytime view amongst your tasks?
    Is there are reason you don’t create flat lists for each context rather than using tags?

5. photodiva

photodiva Registered

No, they're projects under the respective areas. The only thing I do differently is create the tasks without associating them with a projects. I think using tags is the only way to set the contexts.Can you explain more what you do with flat lists?

6. Mindfulcraig

Mindfulcraig Registered

Still Playing with this, but essentially it would mean creating Projects for Each Context and Project for a Projects List. See attached.

Attached Files:

7. photodiva

photodiva Registered

Wow, that is an interesting way of doing it. It would eliminate the need for tags too.

8. Mindfulcraig

Mindfulcraig Registered

It's definitely slim and trim. Down side is you can't assign multiple contexts (tags) of course. I'm also looking at trimming down my tags considerably. Maybe using an "On Hold" and "Active" Tag to be able to subdivide my contexts lists without moving something temporarily into Someday/Maybe. In my mind S/M is a place I put ideas and projects I have not yet committed to. Parking tasks and projects there temporarily as a means to trim my lists down on a weekly basis strikes a sour note for me

9. photodiva

photodiva Registered

I agree about S/M -- and thanks for sharing your setup, I'm going to think through if this might work for me. Right now the way I have it set up it's streamlined and it does work. Much less fussing with everything like when I've used Omnifocus (which I really like too).