thinking about going to the Roadmap.

K

kermalou

The Roadmap is coming to Los Angeles and I am thinking of going.

I am new to this GTD stuff this week actually and my book is coming from Amazon. Do you guys think that the Roadmap is helpful without completely reading the book? I dont want to miss an opportunity of going to this event as well.

thanks.

Mark Jantzen

Registered
Do It!

I would highly recommend going. I went to the Boston RoadMap back in September. It was a great mix of fresh GTD ideas and old standby fundamentals.

They handed out a paperback version of David's book along with a dense seminar workbook. Not the only reason to go, but could influence your Amazon purchase.

I've seen DA twice live. Well worth it!

Mark

K

kermalou

but I haven't done any of his stuff yet, is it too much too soon?

C

CosmoGTD

It looks like the one day seminar is $600.
So it ain't cheap.
Weren't the last seminars a couple hundred bucks?

I wouldn't go for that price.

S

sonia_simone

I would say it depends a lot on your finances. If the $600 is not a huge deal to you, I could easily see getting a lot more out of it than the money and time you put in. (But I would definitely get the book in advance and go through the initial processing completely--you'll get more out of any seminar on any subject if the basic ideas aren't new to you.)

If the money is a stretch, you can find a lot of fantastic resources for free or virtually free. There are many GTD discussions on the Web. You could even get a few friends and/or co-workers together to do a study group.

You learn GTD by *doing* GTD. But if you have the resources, seminars can be a fun way to get energized. And $600 is not a lot of money to pick up even one really solid lifetime habit, which I think is very possible.

K

kermalou

i do accounting and am at wits end, I am willing to try this if it will help, the money is important to me, but so is going forward.

thanks for the tips, I think I will try it.

S

sonia_simone

When is the seminar scheduled? If you can possibly devote some serious time this weekend (or this week if you have flexibility at work for such things) to doing the initial GTD implementation, it will definitely pay off.

I hope you report back and let us know your thoughts!

K

kermalou

the seminar is on Fri., i am flipping some work and other stuff so i can go to this, now that I have committed myself.

C

CosmoGTD

I don't know, I'll be honest here. I think $600 is a lot for a one-day GTD seminar. Again, being honest, in my opinion there is no way that a short one-day seminar is going to facilitate implementing the entire GTD process.
The nature of a larger seminar, means a fairly general approach. The blurb even says the seminar is ok for those who don't know GTD, so its going to cover the basics, one would imagine.
It will most likely just kickstart the process, using the books. I know of no magical quick solutions to complex problems. (If I did, I would hold large seminars and charge people $600 a day each! With 100 people, that's 50K for the day...not too bad...)

For my perspective, the money would be better spent dealing with a GTD expert one on one, over a period of time, working out the Roadblocks in ones personal GTD system.

But if you go, make sure you let us know how it went, and post a full report and summary!!
;-)

TesTeq

Registered
Inspiration, motivation and some basic knowledge to implement GTD.

CosmoGTD said:
I don't know, I'll be honest here. I think $600 is a lot for a one-day GTD seminar. Again, being honest, in my opinion there is no way that a short one-day seminar is going to facilitate implementing the entire GTD process.
Have you ever attended any GTD seminar?

Attending such event may give an inspiration, motivation and some basic knowledge to implement GTD.

C

CosmoGTD

TesTeq said:
Have you ever attended any GTD seminar?

Attending such event may give an inspiration, motivation and some basic knowledge to implement GTD.

Have you? If you would like to go then knock yourself out!

I have attended many general seminars in the past. Most seminars are vastly overpriced to maximize income for the speaker.
I am giving my viewpoint that its not worth $600 to me, plus travel and hotel. I don't need to spend over $1,000 and lose work for that.

Motivation and inspiration are ephemeral and very short-term, and the generalized seminar industry is greatly overpriced, except for highly specialized or technical areas, or related to specialized professional interpersonal networking.

TesTeq

Registered
It can change your life.

CosmoGTD said:
Motivation and inspiration are ephemeral and very short-term, and the generalized seminar industry is greatly overpriced, except for highly specialized or technical areas, or related to specialized professional interpersonal networking.
I would not neglect the inspirational and motivational impact of personal contact with GTD guru. It can change your life (but of course nothing is guaranteed).

I attended several business seminars that were not very useful. But - rather expensive - "Influence Exerting Theory" seminar by Piotr Tymochowicz was a real eye-opener which significantly influenced my life.

So, kermalou, be an active participant of the seminar and do enjoy it. Do not allow the negative thinking to waste your money ($600).

K

kermalou

the seminar is next to my place, so no travel expenses.

just want to hear from people that have gone.

S

sonia_simone

I've found some seminars a complete waste of oxygen and cells, and others to be life-changing. I've heard good things about DA in person.

Really looking forward to your report!

mramm

Registered
buzznovation said:
One key difference between the “Road Map” and the prior seminar that I went to is that this one assumes a certain familiarity with David’s ideas, and that you will complete the various exercies on your own.

this is from one of the links posted above.

take it as you see fit.

Michael

K

kermalou

i am going to wait and read up a little more, this might be a little more than I bargained for in the first place.

but, it really interests me.

A

Ashok Atluri

Roadmap - Expensive and not worth it...

I have attended the Roadmap seminar in London last year. I found the seminar to be of average value and would not recommend it to anyone, esp. if you are new the GTD methodology. There may be some value to a GTD veteran but a newbie would be completely lost. Most of the time in the seminar was taken by practitioners of GTD who still had kinks to work out - after these discussions there was hardly anytime for David to talk about basic GTD (it is a one day seminar, remember).

As CosmoGTD says, correctly, the GTD Fast CDs offer much more value than this seminar. I would recommend reading the book first and then going to GTD Fast CDs (doing the workbook).

Since I am as much a David fan as one can be, seeing him in person was the biggest payoff.

If the seminar has evolved since London then that is a different story...

TesTeq

Registered
GTD Fast CDs are not available.

Ashok Atluri said:
As CosmoGTD says, correctly, the GTD Fast CDs offer much more value than this seminar. I would recommend reading the book first and then going to GTD Fast CDs (doing the workbook).
GTD Fast CDs are not available for purchase from DavidCo.

They contain the recording of the previous, basic-level GTD seminar so they may be very interesting for you (more than Roadmap seminar).