• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Todoist or OF3 and Evernote or Notion?

I've been using Notion for half a year now. I am completely satisfied with this service. I used to have a lot of third-party programs, one doing one thing another doing another thing. And now it all fits into Notion. I'm totally for Notion

I would echo @SheriGoddart75. I am close to using Notion for everything Including GTD. Notion has a steep learning curve but once you get the hang of it, it becomes a very powerful tool. Notion can be anything you want it to be. It is way more than just a database.
 
In my experience, OF3 looked very attractive but just wasn’t worth the money and I unsubscribed before my first year of use was up - lots of glitches and support tickets for setting it up, very clunky interface, syncing took ages and delayed shutting down my device, and the web-based version was an utter rip-off: unusable interface and slower to load and respond than the days of dial-up.

After lot of experimenting with Todoist, I settled on a setup which works well for me (though I use Things 3 for my professional work). Todoist, despite recent bug issues after their Foundations upgrade last year, is very slick, fast, and customisable. I can capture an entire new project including any sub-project along with its next action, context and due date in a single “quick add” view (a combination of using #, /, @, and smart date recognition); and I’ve recently discovered a world of flexibility with the filters tool (I use labels for contexts when inputting next actions, but I use filters to summon those contexts, which allows me to filter out actions which reside anywhere in a “someday maybe” parent project (makes it easy to switch projects between being active and non-active by simply moving them in and out of it), as well as combine multiple labels to make the equivalent of parent > child contexts - e.g. the context labels “@livingroom” and “@kitchen” can be combined into a filter context called “downstairs”.

For reference in Todoist, I’ve made a parent “project” called “Reference”, with alpha sub-projects (“A”, “B”, “C” etc), and then I use the “sections” feature if I need to make a collection within any of those. E.g. #C /Covid. Sections are limited to 20 per project, but I know that if I overspill then I can create more projects (eg C2 etc).
 
Last edited:
Top