What is the most frictionless system you've used?

Ger80C

Registered
Emacs org-mode or Obsidian would be my privacy-first, platform-independent tools of choice now. They both have the advantage that you can start merely listing tasks in text files (which both of them use) hosted wherever you want. No software sucks you into their "interpretation" of what GTD is. I have never found a software that does GTD, not "GTD as the software programmers interpreted it". This was the reason for my to go analog for a time and why I only use Obsidian now (and may use org in the future). I do not ever again feel the constraints of a software cage being constructed around me.

gtdstudente

Registered
I have this problem. I can't stick with a piece of software and tend to hop around a lot.

At work, I have no choice. I need to use Outlook and Microsoft Tasks, both which I absolutely hate.

At home, I have one requirement. The tool must not be tied to a platform. Up until last year, I had an iPhone and my laptop ran Linux. Now I'm all Apple, but I still use Linux occasionally. And even Windows sometimes. I like Apple's Reminders app, but it's very Apple specific. So, when I enter a task, I can't see that task on a WIndows or Linux PC without adding friction to the system.

Does anyone have a pretty frictionless solution that can work across Mac/Windows/Linux/iPhone/iPad/Android?
apstuszak,

With all due respect, responding to your subject title "What is the most frictionless system you've used?"

By far . . . Copy-Paper, Folded-Copy-Paper (Capturing), Clipboard, Gel-Pen, Wire-Files, Crate-Files, etc.

For the most part, other than Calendar, Word, Spreadsheet . . . promises . . . promises . . . way too much gas-lighting on how 'good' the software is only to be discontinued. Also, simply have little interest in having software developers letting me know how much of an 'idiot' I am when I already know how much of an 'idiot' I am. LOL

Lastly, always seeking every opportunity to reduce screen time.

Have long given up searching for the 'holy grail' of software. . . .

Thank you

Last edited:

devon.marie

Registered
Have you tried using the Google suite?

Everything is web-based, so platform is not an issue. Apps for Android and Apple, of course. Tasks for task lists, Calendar for calendar, Gmail for email, Drive for storage, Keep for inbox. They all sync with each other, and Google has made a lot of strides in making sure things all sync properly. Tasks with due dates show up on Google Calendar, and can be marked completed there. Tasks created inside Docs now can be assigned with due dates, and they show in the Google Tasks of the person assigned it in the doc (and thus on Google Calendar). When you mark it complete, it's marked complete in the Doc. The sidebar inside the Google products gives you quick access to the tools you aren't currently looking at, too, which is nice.

What's also nice is there are just enough features to get things done without tempting you into fiddling. My workplace is converting to using the Google Workspace fully and I'm grudgingly adjusting away from my working paper system (that does have its flaws, namely in collaboration with my teammates). But it's honestly working really well.

Murray

Registered
I do not ever again feel the constraints of a software cage being constructed around me.
Your poetic expression reminded me of this quote from a novella:

"Some birds are not meant to be caged, that's all. Their feathers are too bright, their songs too sweet and wild. So you let them go, or when you open the cage to feed them they somehow fly out past you. And the part of you that knows it was wrong to imprison them in the first place rejoices, but still, the place where you live is that much more drab and empty for their departure."

Stephen King, Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption