What's Everyone's Profession?

RianM

Registered
Software Architect

Work between a bunch of different groups with competing interests on trying to build software solutions.

I've been trying to implement GTD at work, and am starting to get some traction with it. My big aha was that what we call a project at work is really something bigger then what GTD defines as a project. That seems to have helped some.

Rian

T

tuqqer

I'm an author of books on the diet/disease, diet/symptom connection. Also run a related website, and some other entreprenuerial things. Work from home, and since the early 90s and the Franklin Day Planner, have been a student of time/life management.

rwarren

Registered
I'm an urban high school principal. GTD helps avoid dropping balls, and lets me sleep peacefully at night!

T

taxgeek

Profession

I'm an estate planning attorney.

GTD helps me juggle all the different clients' projects as they wind their way (slowly) through to completion. Easy to drop balls, so GTD (esp @waiting for) is crucial. It also turns out to be handy for CYA! ("No boss, I didn't forget about that trust you wanted, I gave it to you on Sept. 12th to review. You're the one who lost it!")

B

Bron

Profession

I run my own business offering support to arts organisations and individuals.

I discovered GTD two years ago, went off the rails last year when I took on way too much work, and am now thankfully back on track.

I'm still working on it, but it's great to know that everything is tracked, especially when working with several clients.

Bronwyn Robertson
http://www.TheArtsVA.com

thr61

Registered
I own and operate an 8 person consultancy focused on helping organizations visualize complex information, process, and concepts.

M

Mindi

I'm a forensic scientist.

GTD doesn't help me too much during work, as I have a pretty linear work flow, but it helps tremendously with interruptions and personal life.

;)Mindi

bmd

Registered
professions

Professional fundraiser for home healthcare agency, Visiting Nurse Association, including hospice and private duty.

Peter Gallant

Registered
Professions...and more...

I'm an entrepreneur - CEO of a start-up called Pathogen Detection Systems (www.pathogendetect.com) that is developing fully automatic, rapid systems for detecting bacteria such as E.coli in water samples for municipal water testing, bottled water, packaged ice, remote communities, 3rd world and government applications.

In a start-up, there's always way more work than a small team of (relatively) sane individuals can handle, and the real challenge is keeping track of the myriad of details about investors, customers, employees, consultants, and to manage the entire process and keep moving forward despite uncertainty, risk, and the omni-present overwhelming workload.

All of this while trying to be a great husband, father, and son...and still maintain outside hobbies and interests (flying, a voracious appetite for reading, and some time for long walks on the beach for some "high altitude thinking", and some support/advisory work on some amazing projects).

The true promise and value of GTD is not just limited to professional life - it enables us to have a more diverse, multi-faceted life as well!

Regards,
Peter

TexasEx94

Registered
I investigate reports of child abuse for the State of Texas. GTD has helped me tremendously in organizing and juggling dozens of cases simultaneously.

D

Deanna

I'm the CEO of a hospice. I couldn't do it without GTD. My staff knows their desks and emails will be full after my weekly review. :)

Alchemist

Registered
I'm a principal in an engineering consulting firm

GTD has helped me over some of my procrastination issues and has helped me track the multiple projects that I have to execute on. I also wear several "hats" at work and at home. GTD has helped me to keep on track whether I am working with a client, selling the firm, or planning my daughter's birthday party for 26 kids and 22 adults (I never had that many people at my birthday!)

smithdoug

Registered
I'm a cowboy.

I raise cattle and hay. Sometimes I work from horseback. Sometimes I drive a tractor. But mostly I've been working on foot lately, wearing irrigation boots and a shovel. Occasionally I shoot guns, usually at coyotes or rattlesnakes, but I emphatically do not strum guitars around the campfire at night. I run a business in my spare time and have been known to publish books and magazine articles. I hardly get anything done, but life's great anyway.

S

shareyoga.com

Profession...

Hi,
I just launched an online yoga company that sells yoga clothing, accessories, meditation supplies, etc. We are now working on building community elements into the website.. creating a social network for yogis & like-minded individuals to connect online. I'm always interested in feedback: www.shareyoga.com

GTD has been great. I attended the seminar in Santa Monica -- actually sat next to David Allen himself at lunch. (Does anybody else think his voice sounds just like Tom Brokaw's?) So, GTD has been great. I am still learning how to break my projects down into Next Actions. I tend to still list big projects that aren't doable. (For example, "Finish Business Plan"... So then I tried to break it down into sub-projects by business plan section.) Whenever I look at big chunks of work to do, I can get overloaded and procrastinate. Now that I'm re-reading through the forums I am realizing that I do need to really practice generating Next Actions that are doable. Does anybody have more hints on that?

I am going to re-read the book for inspiration.

Thanks!

Darla

wordsofwonder

Registered
I'm a freelance writer, software/web developer, and mystery novelist. I'm a many-aptituded person, so those are the things I make a living at rather than the things I'm interested in. (The second list is much more expansive.)

-- Tammy

flexiblefine

Registered
One-man web development team

I'm a one-man web development team for a retail company. GTD helps me keep a grip on my various projects so things move appropriately.