Where do physical Next Actions go?

brinksbridge7

Registered
Where do physical next actions go?

Suppose I have a flashlight and I need to go out and buy batteries for it. It was in the in-tray because I needed to process it, but now I've decided it's a Next Action. So where does it go? Do next actions get their own tray/bin?

The only place I've seen even mention having a Next Actions bin is in this picture

Gardener

Registered
For me, it would depend on the thing. I wouldn't have a single place for "stuff that needs attention".

For the flashlight, I'd put the flashlight where it normally lives and convert the physical action to a written action: "Replace batteries in big red Maglite"

On the other hand, for a piece of clothing that needs mending, I'd put the clothing in a special drawer for mending, and I don't think I'd convert it to a specific written action--instead, somewhere in my system would be some sort of reminder to keep up with mending.

For reading, I'd probably have a document tray where I'd dump small stuff to read (I say "probably" because I really don't have any of this), but books to read (I do have this) I'd put in their normal place on the shelves and convert the physical action to a written action.

When I used to have a perfume blog, my main collection of perfume samples lived in one place, while the new ones that I hoped to test and review soon were in a separate little box. But if I were still perfume blogging, I'd have written actions to push me to do that reviewing.

I'm not sure what makes the difference between "where it normally lives" and a special place for things that need attention. I just know it when I see it. But I very rarely (never?) allow the physical thing to serve as the next action reminder without also having a written reminder.

mcogilvie

Registered
As Gardiner explains, physical things go various places, but next actions go on lists. If you have your lists available on your phone and have it with you, you can just enter the next action on your phone, or even in a notebook. You do not need to put large physical objects i your inbox. This would cause Oogie problems, as sheep do not rest easily in in-trays.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Where do physical next actions go?

Suppose I have a flashlight and I need to go out and buy batteries for it. It was in the in-tray because I needed to process it, but now I've decided it's a Next Action. So where does it go? Do next actions get their own tray/bin?

The only place I've seen even mention having a Next Actions bin is in this picture
We would typically set this up differently than that photo. You need 3 separate buckets/trays for physical items:

1. Inbox - new items to be processed/clarified. If the item doesn’t fit, put a note to represent it.
2. Pending - storage for items you have already processed/clarified. Typically divided between Action and Waiting For.
3. Out - items that need to be brought somewhere else (e.g. a letter to be mailed all ready to go).

brinksbridge7

Registered
We would typically set this up differently than that photo. You need 3 separate buckets/trays for physical items:

1. Inbox - new items to be processed/clarified. If the item doesn’t fit, put a note to represent it.
2. Pending - storage for items you have already processed/clarified. Typically divided between Action and Waiting For.
3. Out - items that need to be brought somewhere else (e.g. a letter to be mailed all ready to go).
I feel like this was the answer I was looking for. Thank you

Oogiem

Registered
So where does it go? Do next actions get their own tray/bin?
For me physical things related to next actions go where it makes sense. As @mcogilvie suggests, if the next action is trim hooves on sheep I can't stuff them into an inbox but I can put the box of hoof trimming tools in the goes out to the sheep sweep area place next to the door along with the EID tag reader and flock software on a tablet so I can document whose toes got trimmed easily. I tend to gather things like that in designated spots in each major physical location. So I have a spot in the hay barn, red barn, shop building etc for things related to a next action that will take place there in that location. That's when they are large but not huge. If the next action is replace bolt on the tiller that broke on the rocks I might have the bolt itself in a place ready to go to the equipment shed but I sure am not going to try to fit the entire tiller in there.

I do like having one place for things that are part of a next action separate from their final place they will live until the projec related to them is done but that's me and certainly not necessary.