Would reading GTD forums be considered a project?

Chas29

Registered
Would reading GTD forums be considered a project? Or would it be something that simply goes on my @Computer list (but not on my Projects List)?

Chas29

Oogiem

Registered
Chas29;100918 said:
Would reading GTD forums be considered a project?

I had a project that was Keep current and active on forums of interest with action items for the GTD forums, and a couple other places. So for me it was an action in a larger project. That particular one is now reduced to a habit so I no longer see it on my lists and check things off but for a while I was actively using it as I decided what news sites and forums were worth my time. I still do a review once a year of the places I visit regularly to make sure they still are important to me.

Barb

Registered
My Take

I wouldn't call it a project because, presumably, there is no defined end to reading the forums.

I consider my GTD practice as an Area of Focus for me and my Connect membership is part of what I keep current on to improve my practice. An example I have as a project within that area of focus is:

Write descriptive Vision Statements for each of my Areas of Focus in order to make them more engaging.

A task under that vision statement would consist of writing one Area of Focus Vision Statement. Note that I will be able to check off both the task and project as "done" in the future, but my GTD practice continues.

cwoodgold

Registered
For me, it's a potentially addictive activity that I might need to set limits on. I don't need reminders to do it. I also don't have reminders to do cryptic crosswords, sudokus etc.

vbampton

Administrator
I'd class it as a routine/habit. I have a checklist of forums etc. to do the rounds, but while it was a new habit, it would go on my @surfing list.

mcogilvie

Registered
Chas29;100918 said:
Would reading GTD forums be considered a project? Or would it be something that simply goes on my @Computer list (but not on my Projects List)?

Chas29

I don't put it on any list, because I just do it.

Chas29

Registered
Thanks for the posts. It's not habitual for me yet to read these forums, although it may escalate to that level rather quickly. We'll see.

In the meantime, I think the @surfing response was probably the best, although for me it would go on my @computer list. If my @computer list grows too long, I may break it into two lists, @surfing and @computer.

That's an interesting and thought-provoking separation, by the way. @computer seems more task-oriented, "getting-things-done" oriented, "contractionary" if you will. Whereas @surfing seems more "expansionary", exploratory, heading into the wild unknown.

Neat distinction!

Thanks all,
Chas29

vbampton

Administrator
Chas29;100944 said:
That's an interesting and thought-provoking separation, by the way. @computer seems more task-oriented, "getting-things-done" oriented, "contractionary" if you will. Whereas @surfing seems more "expansionary", exploratory, heading into the wild unknown.

That's an interesting way of looking at it!

My @surfing list contains anything that can be done on a web browser, so I might be on my iPad rather than my proper @computer context.

I do have an @google context which is a rabbit trail one like your idea, although I hadn't thought of it quite like that.

Barb

Registered
@Computer lists

Chas29;100944 said:
Thanks for the posts. It's not habitual for me yet to read these forums, although it may escalate to that level rather quickly. We'll see.

In the meantime, I think the @surfing response was probably the best, although for me it would go on my @computer list. If my @computer list grows too long, I may break it into two lists, @surfing and @computer.

Neat distinction!

Thanks all,
Chas29

For various reasons, lots of people split their @Computer lists out. Most do it because the list gets too long. Some do @online, some break out a particular piece of software and group tasks that way, some break it into @Computer-work and @Computer-personal.

Vickie

Registered
Barb;100922 said:
I wouldn't call it a project because, presumably, there is no defined end to reading the forums.

I consider my GTD practice as an Area of Focus for me and my Connect membership is part of what I keep current on to improve my practice. An example I have as a project within that area of focus is:

Write descriptive Vision Statements for each of my Areas of Focus in order to make them more engaging.

A task under that vision statement would consist of writing one Area of Focus Vision Statement. Note that I will be able to check off both the task and project as "done" in the future, but my GTD practice continues.

I agree. I think overall keeping up with the forums are an "Area of Focus" since there really isn't a definied end. However, as I am cruising through the forums, if I find a particular post I definitely would like to repsond to but don't have time at the moment, I will then add it to my "Actions" list. Additionally, if there is something I'd like to post but don't have the time in the moment, I'll add that to my list too.

Hope this helps!

Barb

Registered
I ought to do what you do

vicve;100973 said:
I agree. I think overall keeping up with the forums are an "Area of Focus" since there really isn't a definied end. However, as I am cruising through the forums, if I find a particular post I definitely would like to repsond to but don't have time at the moment, I will then add it to my "Actions" list. Additionally, if there is something I'd like to post but don't have the time in the moment, I'll add that to my list too.

Hope this helps!

I ought to add responding to forum posts to my list...and not answer right away. Good thinking.

cfoley

Registered
To be honest, if I didn't write this post right now it would sit on my action list until Friday. On Friday, it would get purged in my weekly review.

CJSullivan

Registered
The 2 Minute Rule

For responding to posts/threads, I try to use the 2 Minute Rule. It sometimes makes for some rather...um...spontaneous posts, but at least I'm not OVER-thinking! ;)

I have an @GTD Connect Forums list for questions/thoughts/ideas that come up that I'd like to post to the community. And I definitely treat my participation as part of my overall "Continually improve my implementation of GTD" Area of Focus, and I check in when the spirit moves me.

DenaDahilig

Registered
CJSullivan;100990 said:
It sometimes makes for some rather...um...spontaneous posts, but at least I'm not OVER-thinking! ;)

Unlike me, I think! Doh! Maybe I need the 2-minute rule, too..

(warning: feature request ahead)

I know others have suggested a "mark as unread" option for specific posts, but I don't know if this software actually allows for that. It would be a great way to bookmark the posts I want to re-read or respond to.

I've made notes in the past to check back and respond but, honestly, when I get back, even if it's the next day, the spark is gone. So take my feature request with a grain of salt, I guess (is there an emoticon for that?)

Dena

(done in 2 minutes, by the way!!)

TesTeq

Registered
What about watching TV?

Chas29;100918 said:

What about watching TV? Would watching TV be considered a project?

vbampton

Administrator
artsinaction;101016 said:
)
I know others have suggested a "mark as unread" option for specific posts, but I don't know if this software actually allows for that. It would be a great way to bookmark the posts I want to re-read or respond to.

It can't be done at the moment Dena, but I'm keeping my eyes open for anyone who builds a vBulletin plugin to make that possible. Best solution I've found in the meantime is to go to Thread Tools at the top of the thread and Email This Page. The link ends up in your normal inbox for processing then.

cfoley

Registered
artsinaction;101016 said:
Unlike me, I think! Doh! Maybe I need the 2-minute rule, too..

(warning: feature request ahead)

I've made notes in the past to check back and respond but, honestly, when I get back, even if it's the next day, the spark is gone. So take my feature request with a grain of salt, I guess (is there an emoticon for that?)

Dena

(done in 2 minutes, by the way!!)

You could click the number in the top right of the post to get a URL that jumps to the post. Bookmark that and you can make a bookmarks folder of your To Reads.

For example, I clicked your post #14 and got this:
http://www.davidco.com/forum/showth...s-be-considered-a-project&p=101016#post101016