About "E-mail topic - should it be focused on at the beginning of trying to implement GTD or not

If I understand you correctly:

I let all email come in to my primary inbox - as I want to have as few inboxes to process as possible.

A Gmail trick is to add "+" with an extension (e.g. if your email is hello@gmail.com, you could call it hello+newsletter@gmail.com), and it would still work. This way you can easily set up filters to route email to different folders as you like.
(A secondary benefit with this method, is that is you set up unique extensions for all services you subscribe to, you can immediately see who leaked your email address if you receive spam).

The amount of email you receive will be constant, regardless of how many email adresses you have to juggle. If you don't want an email to grab your attention, you should consider unsubscribing instead of routing it to another email address, in my opinion...
From my looking/reading over your writing

I think my preference could be : not using type method you suggest here "because of what I previously written - you understand? STN R

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
I agree - I don't use this method myself, as I unsubscribe from senders I don't want to receive email from - and I want everything else to land in my inbox for processing.

I don't think it's possible to create a global definition of email that has no future value - otherwise, it would probably be in the book!
Also, as David says in the book, the meaning of things change as a result of time passing. Think of it: an email offering you to buy something you want or need, has no future value after the offer passes its deadline. At first, valuable, thereafter: to value (unless you want to keep track of how the price goes up and down)

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
ITM x3

"Rene - I thought what you were suggesting was something creating a separate e-mail address to receive e-mail? Have you ever seen/saw before type thing that allows a "quick e-mail address to be created" aka an auto generated e-mail address - some website allow creation of this (for-if you are in situation where told to put e-mail details in (but don't want receive any e-mails - you understand?

That's not what you were writing here I understand now.
Yes, I understand what you mean. I know of such services, but have not tried one.
Things which come to my mind are promotions, marketing - older website subscriptions which have no value?
maybe bank e-mails or phone contract e-mails?
These are examples of things with possibly no future value, but also things you might want to hold on to until you receive an updated version (I'm thinking of insurance papers as an example)
Rene could you share, provide me more examples of e-mails which you would consider as having no value?
Most of the time I see that thing may have potential value, and then I decide after reading.
"But one email message usually doesn't take up very much space, so you should be good for a while..." your saying if there is just a one off e-mail then you would keep it? I don't understand.
No, I mean that your email archive has to mount up to a whole lot of email before you are at risk of having used all your storage space...
I undersatnd you were talking about sender email addresses now
But you first need to search your mail to be able set up this feature?
Only to identify what sender you want your filter to react to...

I agree - I don't use this method myself, as I unsubscribe from senders I don't want to receive email from - and I want everything else to land in my inbox for processing.

I don't think it's possible to create a global definition of email that has no future value - otherwise, it would probably be in the book!
Also, as David says in the book, the meaning of things change as a result of time passing. Think of it: an email offering you to buy something you want or need, has no future value after the offer passes its deadline. At first, valuable, thereafter: to value (unless you want to keep track of how the price goes up and down)
Okay
what if I want my inbox as minimalist as possible?

right so it all depends on each persons individual preference

"possibly no future value, but also things you might want to hold on to until you receive an updated version"
Yes, I understand what you mean. I know of such services, but have not tried one.

These are examples of things with possibly no future value, but also things you might want to hold on to until you receive an updated version (I'm thinking of insurance papers as an example)

im not sure what are insurance papers
your saying you think it could have possibly value - keeping type bank e-mails letters (because may want to hold on to them
Most of the time I see that thing may have potential value, and then I decide after reading.

So with example of bank account - such as e-mails - you would read through them all?
No, I mean that your email archive has to mount up to a whole lot of email before you are at risk of having used all your storage space...

Only to identify what sender you want your filter to react to...

:( STN

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
@TimBourne:

Hi, again, Tim. Hope all is well with you. I hear you that at times there seems to be too much to do. :confused: So sorry to hear you don't have a good printer. I was hoping that would work for you as a legible alternative to a handwritten paper-based system.

I've been frustrated because I have nowhere to put things, so it is hard to find them when I need them, and it's useless to try to start a system with too little space and too much stuff. For instance, I ordered checks awhile ago, so I knew I had them, but I could not find them anywhere. I need enough physical space to set up dedicated containers for all the things I need to find. The clutter of too much stuff for my small space is getting to my state of mind, too.

Since I can't add space to my apartment, I need to create space by getting rid of certain things. I've decided to focus my time and energy on decluttering, cleaning, and organizing my apartment, so I have the physical space and peace of mind I need. It may be a Project or a number of Projects - I need to work out how to set it up -- and it could take a year or two to complete. I think this will give me some experience of thinking practically in GTD terms until I can do more about starting a GTD system.

Where do you think it is best for you to focus your time and energy now in terms of GTD?

Emily

@TimBourne:

Hi, again, Tim. Hope all is well with you. I hear you that at times there seems to be too much to do. :confused: So sorry to hear you don't have a good printer. I was hoping that would work for you as a legible alternative to a handwritten paper-based system.

Is this something which I should invest in?
other then using my fathers downstairs (which is limited, says want limited usage)
I've been frustrated because I have nowhere to put things, so it is hard to find them when I need them, and it's useless to try to start a system with too little space and too much stuff. For instance, I ordered checks awhile ago, so I knew I had them, but I could not find them anywhere. I need enough physical space to set up dedicated containers for all the things I need to find. The clutter of too much stuff for my small space is getting to my state of mind, too.

I also have this problem of organization, links to my train of work
by checks you mean paper bank checks?
you have small living space?
Since I can't add space to my apartment, I need to create space by getting rid of certain things. I've decided to focus my time and energy on decluttering, cleaning, and organizing my apartment, so I have the physical space and peace of mind I need. It may be a Project or a number of Projects - I need to work out how to set it up -- and it could take a year or two to complete. I think this will give me some experience of thinking practically in GTD terms until I can do more about starting a GTD system.
I wonder how you will do it?
Where do you think it is best for you to focus your time and energy now in terms of GTD?

on my train of work"

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
@TimBourne

Hi, Tim.
I also have this problem of organization, links to my train of work
by checks you mean paper bank checks?
you have small living space?

You mention this elsewhere "my train of work." I'm not understanding this. Can you clarify what this means?

Yes, it was my bank checks I lost. I do have a place for these checks, and I thought I had put them there after I received them in the mail, but they weren't there. I wasted a lot of time looking for them. I finally did find them. You will laugh about this: I found them in my inbox.

Yes, I do have a small living space. I posted here on the GTD Forum about my project to declutter, clean, and organize my small living space. I got a lot of advice I'm excited to review. I like the way you say about my project, "I wonder how you will do it." When you say this, I start wondering how I will do it, too.

Last edited:

gtdstudente

Registered
@TimBourne

Hi, Tim.

You mention this elsewhere "my train of work." I'm not understanding this. Can you clarify what this means?

Yes, it was my bank checks I lost. I do have a place for these checks, and I thought I had put them there after I received them in the mail, but they weren't there. I wasted a lot of time looking for them. I finally did find them. You will laugh about this: I found them in my inbox.

Yes, I do have a small living space. I posted here on the GTD Forum about my project to declutter, clean, and organize my small living space. I got a lot of advice I'm excited to review. I like the way you say about my project, "I wonder how you will do it." When you say this, I start wondering how I will do it, too. Here's a link to my post:

Mrs=Polifax,

Thank you for your good GTD post

Good job on the Inbox . . . well done indeed

Without going bananas, fyi: Link gave an "error message"

Thank you

Using GTD for Forgetting Everything for Forgetting Nothing

Last edited:

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
Is this something which I should invest in?
other then using my fathers downstairs (which is limited, says want limited usage)

It's hard for me to know whether to advise you to invest in a printer, since it depends so much on your situation. I don't have a printer. I have been reluctant to buy one for financial reasons, but that has been frustrating for me, and I am reconsidering.

If you don't need to print very much or very often, limited use of your father's printer could be all you need. However, it all depends on your circumstances, needs, values, and financial resources. It is a very personal matter to work out what to do.

If you want to explore this further, look up Tony Buzan. Your brain might enjoy representing ideas simply and colorfully and graphically in a Mind Map, and this goes along with your earlier idea that drawing and art and colors could help your brain.

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
@TimBourne

Hello, Tim. I read that you decided not to do the 15 minutes of reading in David Allen's GTD book that I suggested because it was hard for you to do this due to the difficulties you have with short term memory. I think you may be selling yourself short in viewing things this way, but I respect your experience of yourself. We all have limitations and preferences, and we all need to do things in our own way. I'm happy when you make the choices that serve you best.

@TimBourne

Hi, Tim.

My train of work

is overall
complete Asana set up actions.

and Mind sweep , then physical gathering.

and then everything else on this fourm" in a nutshell :(

Yes, I do have a small living space. I posted here on the GTD Forum about my project to declutter, clean, and organize my small living space. I got a lot of advice I'm excited to review. I like the way you say about my project, "I wonder how you will do it." When you say this, I start wondering how I will do it, too.
:( STN

It's hard for me to know whether to advise you to invest in a printer, since it depends so much on your situation. I don't have a printer. I have been reluctant to buy one for financial reasons, but that has been frustrating for me, and I am reconsidering.

If you don't need to print very much or very often, limited use of your father's printer could be all you need. However, it all depends on your circumstances, needs, values, and financial resources. It is a very personal matter to work out what to do.
oh right then? use father's for now?
If you want to explore this further, look up Tony Buzan. Your brain might enjoy representing ideas simply and colorfully and graphically in a Mind Map, and this goes along with your earlier idea that drawing and art and colors could help your brain.
"
Anthony Peter "Tony" Buzan was an English author and educational consultant. Buzan popularised the idea of mental literacy, radiant thinking, and a technique called mind mapping, inspired by technique…"

thoughts came to mind in paste - I consumed persons content about topic of "mental models" on youtube

e.g. persons Charlie monger?

STN

@TimBourne

Hello, Tim. I read that you decided not to do the 15 minutes of reading in David Allen's GTD book that I suggested because it was hard for you to do this due to the difficulties you have with short term memory. I think you may be selling yourself short in viewing things this way, but I respect your experience of yourself. We all have limitations and preferences, and we all need to do things in our own way. I'm happy when you make the choices that serve you best.
"I don't understand?"

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
ITM thought ask a person

@gtdstudente or @Mrs-Polifax " Then rene?

Do you think its bad I no longer have GTD notifications for when persons likes - for example?

But now have click on website check manually have it happen"
S
As with everything else - it depends...

Personally, I have as little notifications in my life as possible. Why? Because I want to be in charge of when to check email, forums, apps etc - instead of these systems fighting for my attention. The latter can cause a lot of stress in my opinion - and I really don't want that...