About "E-mail topic - should it be focused on at the beginning of trying to implement GTD or not

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
@TimBourne

I believe there is more to GTD than may meet the eye initially. Here are some suggestions you might consider:

1, Read a bit in David Allen's updated GTD book daily, if possible, say 15 minutes, a few paragraphs, or whatever feels right. Read through the book consecutively without skipping parts. Read for understanding, and think about what you're reading. Don't take notes while you're reading. Instead, simply enjoy reading the book. If it helps you to take notes, then do that after you finish your reading for the day. If you can't read your handwriting, use Notepad to take notes.

I think this will give you a good understanding of GTD, and that will give you more confidence in deciding how to start your GTD system. I've spent many years reading and re-reading the GTD book, and I hear others in the forum say the same thing. I highly recommend doing this.

2. If you want to consult any of the GTD Guides, that might be useful. I believe these Guides are directed at the specifics of certain tools, which could get you started. I have not tried them, so I cannot be sure about them, but they sound very good.

3. Another thing that I believe might give you a good background in GTD is to watch the videos by the GTD coaches at GTD Focus, which I have really enjoyed. They can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/@GTD-focus

4. I think it will also be helpful to continue coming here to the GTD Forum. I suggest that you read the posts and comments by other people on the Forum, and see what you can learn. As we learn more, I believe our understanding of GTD will grow.

5. You have mentioned the difficulty that your handwriting is illegible to you, which makes a paper-based system ineffective. I also have that challenge. I suggest that you consider setting up a legible paper-based system by typing and printing out the items that go into your GTD system. You could use Notepad, or a word processor you are familiar with, such as MS Word. You may not need anything more complex than this.

I believe this is plenty to do right now, but your needs may differ from my suggestions. I know that some people believe it is best to jump right in with the practice and learn from doing. Please do whatever feels right to you as you continue your GTD journey. Remember, there is no "right" way to do GTD. There is simply the way that works best for you.

Best wishes,

Emily

@TimBourne

I believe there is more to GTD than may meet the eye initially. Here are some suggestions you might consider:

1, Read a bit in David Allen's updated GTD book daily, if possible, say 15 minutes, a few paragraphs, or whatever feels right. Read through the book consecutively without skipping parts. Read for understanding, and think about what you're reading. Don't take notes while you're reading. Instead, simply enjoy reading the book. If it helps you to take notes, then do that after you finish your reading for the day. If you can't read your handwriting, use Notepad to take notes.

I think this will give you a good understanding of GTD, and that will give you more confidence in deciding how to start your GTD system. I've spent many years reading and re-reading the GTD book, and I hear others in the forum say the same thing. I highly recommend doing this.

2. If you want to consult any of the GTD Guides, that might be useful. I believe these Guides are directed at the specifics of certain tools, which could get you started. I have not tried them, so I cannot be sure about them, but they sound very good.

3. Another thing that I believe might give you a good background in GTD is to watch the videos by the GTD coaches at GTD Focus, which I have really enjoyed. They can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/@GTD-focus

4. I think it will also be helpful to continue coming here to the GTD Forum. I suggest that you read the posts and comments by other people on the Forum, and see what you can learn. As we learn more, I believe our understanding of GTD will grow.

5. You have mentioned the difficulty that your handwriting is illegible to you, which makes a paper-based system ineffective. I also have that challenge. I suggest that you consider setting up a legible paper-based system by typing and printing out the items that go into your GTD system. You could use Notepad, or a word processor you are familiar with, such as MS Word. You may not need anything more complex than this.

I believe this is plenty to do right now, but your needs may differ from my suggestions. I know that some people believe it is best to jump right in with the practice and learn from doing. Please do whatever feels right to you as you continue your GTD journey. Remember, there is no "right" way to do GTD. There is simply the way that works best for you.

Best wishes,

Emily

1. Okay? I have bad comprehension so should take notes

right

2. right

3. probably best do this at later date. - I could put this on Asana if you respond?"

4. okay

5. right - but I don't have a good printer.

yeah I feel like there is too much to do :( '

@TimBourne

Best wishes,

Emily
ITM

i just tried that today?

"a bit in David Allen's updated GTD book daily, if possible, say 15 minutes, a few paragraphs, or whatever feels right. Read through the book consecutively without skipping parts. Read for understanding, and think about what you're reading. Don't take notes while you're reading. "

I would find that difficult to do - read without taking notes because I have low IQ/intellect? erm I tried something - yeah writing in a book afterwards, note book (after 15mins) certain things.

WE - something said is you should take notes after finish a chapter or amount of time spending reading so why not.

by copy GTD latest paper back - has lots of markings with pencil when previous read it.

"I had a voice say - if you don't respond within 24 hours I could start to look into: getting new copy paper back of book (maybe old edition haven't read" STN

@TimBourne

Best wishes,

Emily

1710247830811.png
This was - on Asana.

Emily, you don't know any other types systems for dealing with e-mails or inbox? "STN

@TimBourne

Best wishes,

Emily
"ITM

seeing you haven't got back here yet.

though could be worth mentioning example - how today , second time reading book 15 mins - just ended the type of preface/forward in book im not sure looked at properly.

Thought to write this because idea that don't agree with suggestion 15mins reading instruction how you wrote it?

Should I show a picture to help you understand.

Because a key problem is I have problems retaining information due to decreased IQ - so what do you think of that argument - that I wouldn't benefit from suggestion instruction given "spend 15mins reading).

One of books I have looked at is topic of "speed reading".

STN

Instead I have other idea"

1710329860744.png
1710329900175.png

ITM update on progress of e-mail organizing here:

tagging as many users to try help, who might be in same boat/situation.

"
uploading picture- saved Doc on google – drive document list of e-mail providers had example.

And idea which occurred myself tim makes sense: to try – for notifications e-mails marketing promotions type – I should make it so I use a non primary or secondary e-mail address.

*sharing this info could help other people." END QUOTE

Words ideas were:

Basically I was having words/voices in my head on a personal level -
That wanted declutter inbox as much as possible (my all mail)
So what decided do is: literally : bin/remove all mail that is NOT: e-mails had with other human persons in real life (which will reference in archieve Gmail cloud)

But all else such as to do with website purchases/orders etc all going be removed
As well as information e-mails from organizations which might have interest in?

Idea of next action occurred: to paste the whole list (of subscribed e-mail addresses/providers I was with in print screen image) because maybe other net users also interested or could relate to my subscriptions ?

further word ideas:

1) any persons reading this see negatives with what I announced in above writing?

2) Do I feel like I need to create a whole new thread on topic of e-mail right now (being a decent long time since further created this thread and hadn't felt like had e-mails properly under control (with amount of saved messages) 2.1 - And I could include further e-mail help instructions (for the complete new e-mail system I have working under control).

*1 can anyone else think of any other categories of e-mails which are different to what wrote above?

P.S. in heighn sight - basically saying I feel pressure/need - to take actions on the amount of built up space (messages) right now- an only method is what wrote above - you understand?

@René Lie

Thought came mind... Two 2 things ...

erm @Mrs-Polifax @gtdstudente @cfoley @Oogiem @John Forrister

Were list of people which remember in my mind" STN

I can't add tags do new posts within a thread?
#schizoprhenia #OCD #mental problems
STN

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
If I understand you correctly:

I let all email come in to my primary inbox - as I want to have as few inboxes to process as possible.

A Gmail trick is to add "+" with an extension (e.g. if your email is hello@gmail.com, you could call it hello+newsletter@gmail.com), and it would still work. This way you can easily set up filters to route email to different folders as you like.
(A secondary benefit with this method, is that is you set up unique extensions for all services you subscribe to, you can immediately see who leaked your email address if you receive spam).

The amount of email you receive will be constant, regardless of how many email adresses you have to juggle. If you don't want an email to grab your attention, you should consider unsubscribing instead of routing it to another email address, in my opinion...

If I understand you correctly:

I let all email come in to my primary inbox - as I want to have as few inboxes to process as possible.

Yes I deleted the 3 - categories top of g-mail email, so just have 1 inbox - other user said to to that?
A Gmail trick is to add "+" with an extension (e.g. if your email is hello@gmail.com, you could call it hello+newsletter@gmail.com), and it would still work. This way you can easily set up filters to route email to different folders as you like.

A trick to do what?
filter different folder?
(A secondary benefit with this method, is that is you set up unique extensions for all services you subscribe to, you can immediately see who leaked your email address if you receive spam).

unique extensions?
The amount of email you receive will be constant, regardless of how many email adresses you have to juggle. If you don't want an email to grab your attention, you should consider unsubscribing instead of routing it to another email address, in my opinion...
I don't fully understand everything here - my what I am saying here - i should make a second e-mail for less important mail (is second best) to probably what trying share with me here? " ITM

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
Yes I deleted the 3 - categories top of g-mail email, so just have 1 inbox - other user said to to that?
I believe that was me...
A trick to do what?
filter different folder?
A trick to create several unique email-adresses without creating a new email account. From there, you can set up filters to make sure that email sent to the different email variants so that they land in different folders (tags), if that's what you like.
unique extensions?
Yes, as I explained, you add "+" followed by whatever you want, and email sent to this alias still ends up in your regular inbox (unless you set up a filter)
I don't fully understand everything here - my what I am saying here - i should make a second e-mail for less important mail (is second best) to probably what trying share with me here? " ITM
This adds another inbox to keep track of. If this is want you want, then go for it - you will have to decide for yourself...

I believe that was me...

A trick to create several unique email-adresses without creating a new email account. From there, you can set up filters to make sure that email sent to the different email variants so that they land in different folders (tags), if that's what you like.
"A Gmail trick is to add "+" with an extension (e.g. if your email is hello@gmail.com," your writing about using the web browser extension feature? - should I search how to do this.
Yes, as I explained, you add "+" followed by whatever you want, and email sent to this alias still ends up in your regular inbox (unless you set up a filter)

I didn't understand what you were referring to.
This adds another inbox to keep track of. If this is want you want, then go for it - you will have to decide for yourself...
Your giving me personal advice to organize my e-mail like you do - so its worth I try read over/search about what exactly trying to describe to myself above - being above do "unique e-mail address" feature - your saying this is something I can create (and it will receive certain e-mails like normal e-mail address which I have control over?

STN

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
"A Gmail trick is to add "+" with an extension (e.g. if your email is hello@gmail.com," your writing about using the web browser extension feature? - should I search how to do this.

I didn't understand what you were referring to.

Your giving me personal advice to organize my e-mail like you do - so its worth I try read over/search about what exactly trying to describe to myself above - being above do "unique e-mail address" feature - your saying this is something I can create (and it will receive certain e-mails like normal e-mail address which I have control over?

STN
Let's say your email is tim@gmail.com. Now, if you register the email address tim+amazon@gmail.com if you are a customer there, email will still arrive in you normal email inbox. But - you can now set up a filter saying that all email which is sent to tim+amazon@gmail.com should be given a special label (for example 'amazon' or something like that), and all email sent with this email in the 'to' field will land in this folder (label). You still only have one Gmail account and one login (tim@gmail.com), but it acts as if you have several email adresses! ('amazon' in this case is what I referred to as an 'extension' to a regular Gmail address, it has nothing to do with browser extensions. English is not my first language...)

Let's say your email is tim@gmail.com. Now, if you register the email address tim+amazon@gmail.com if you are a customer there, email will still arrive in you normal
register with amazon? I am amazon user
How do you register a new e-mail address
email inbox. But - you can now set up a filter saying that all email which is sent to tim+amazon@gmail.com should be given a special label (for example 'amazon' or something like that), and all email sent with this email in the 'to' field will land in this folder (label). You still only have one Gmail account and one login (tim@gmail.com), but it acts as if you have several email adresses! ('amazon' in this case is what I referred to as an 'extension' to a regular Gmail address, it has nothing to do with browser extensions. English is not my first language...)
I need research more what writing here
how to do it?

*I just looked over you three previous messages here*

searched into net "gmail ilters to route email to different folders as you like" what phrase you wrote above
What I am trying to figure out is how to do what trying to explain to me in first message about adding extentision e-mail - maybe you could show a print screen? Or tell me what I need to type into search to find article by google or article explaining what trying write about about add extension?

I could try reading over your writing a second time...

ITM STN

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
register with amazon? I am amazon user
How do you register a new e-mail address
Now, Amazon was just an example. In this case, where you have a user account, log in and change your email to include the plus sign and whatever you would like to include thereafter.
I need research more what writing here
how to do it?

*I just looked over you three previous messages here*

searched into net "gmail ilters to route email to different folders as you like" what phrase you wrote above
What I am trying to figure out is how to do what trying to explain to me in first message about adding extentision e-mail - maybe you could show a print screen? Or tell me what I need to type into search to find article by google or article explaining what trying write about about add extension?

I could try reading over your writing a second time...

ITM STN
This can be a useful place to start:

ITM x2
Now, Amazon was just an example. In this case, where you have a user account, log in and change your email to include the plus sign and whatever you would like to include thereafter.

Oh right your saying any user account - which requires e-mail address to log in can actually be used?

Thanks for this reference link.

I don't fully understand?

Logging in to which user account where?

[https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6579?hl=en] scanned over this article.

it is saying - about using filter feature to search e-mails in your inbox.

and then also - be able to create a filter for incoming e-mails (is this what you were trying to teach me?) - being able filter specific website e-amils Within on e-mail account? -right?

and then editing/deleting and exporting filters?

STN

Yes! :) This way, you can differentiate your login information (and newsletters etc) without having to create new Gmail accounts!
ITM
So your saying this could be worth to do with marketing or promotion type e-mails? Really?

But what I was trying to say before - was don't these type of e-mails still just take up a certain amount of space within Gmail drive? and its better to be minimalist?

STN

I feel like I need : read over what written start to finish and write notes, then try attempting it once, seeing if it works for me "HOW

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
I don't fully understand?

Logging in to which user account where?
To whatever account where you want the email to automatically be put in a specific folder instead of your inbox
[https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6579?hl=en] scanned over this article.

it is saying - about using filter feature to search e-mails in your inbox.
No, it doesn't - it says: On your computer, you can manage your incoming mail using Gmail’s filters to send email to a label, or archive, delete, star, or automatically forward your mail.
and then also - be able to create a filter for incoming e-mails (is this what you were trying to teach me?) - being able filter specific website e-amils Within on e-mail account? -right?
Yes!
and then editing/deleting and exporting filters?
No, the filter you set up is a "function" that automatically handles your incoming email (in this case). You "set it and forget it", and it does its job.

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
ITM
So your saying this could be worth to do with marketing or promotion type e-mails? Really?
That's what I'm suggesting. You COULD instead set up a filter for each provider directly, but often the sender email is very complicated - and if the at some point change their sender email, your filter will stop working. If you use tim+newsletter@gmail.com (assuming tim@gmail.com is your email address) for all newsletters, one filter you set up for tim+newsletter@gmail.com will handle all of these.
But what I was trying to say before - was don't these type of e-mails still just take up a certain amount of space within Gmail drive? and its better to be minimalist?
Yes, this is correct. Personally I don't keep email that has no future value (including newsletter that I have no intention of acting upon), so I delete them. But one email message usually doesn't take up very much space, so you should be good for a while...

ITM x3
That's what I'm suggesting. You COULD instead set up a filter for each provider directly, but often the sender email is very complicated - and if the at some point change their sender email, your filter will stop working. If you use tim+newsletter@gmail.com (assuming tim@gmail.com is your email address) for all newsletters, one filter you set up for tim+newsletter@gmail.com will handle all of these.
"Rene - I thought what you were suggesting was something creating a separate e-mail address to receive e-mail? Have you ever seen/saw before type thing that allows a "quick e-mail address to be created" aka an auto generated e-mail address - some website allow creation of this (for-if you are in situation where told to put e-mail details in (but don't want receive any e-mails - you understand?

That's not what you were writing here I understand now.
Yes, this is correct. Personally I don't keep email that has no future value (including newsletter that I have no intention of acting upon), so I delete them. But one email message usually doesn't take up very much space, so you should be good for a while...
"something which might be a symptom of autism is lack of interpretation was words in my head. Can Z persons (e.g. everyone reading this agree on something by definition) What by definition would count as e-mail which has no future value?

Things which come to my mind are promotions, marketing
- older website subscriptions which have no value?
maybe bank e-mails or phone contract e-mails?

What else?

Rene could you share, provide me more examples of e-mails which you would consider as having no value?

"But one email message usually doesn't take up very much space, so you should be good for a while..." your saying if there is just a one off e-mail then you would keep it? I don't understand.
To whatever account where you want the email to automatically be put in a specific folder instead of your inbox
I undersatnd you were talking about sender email addresses now
No, it doesn't - it says: On your computer, you can manage your incoming mail using Gmail’s filters to send email to a label, or archive, delete, star, or automatically forward your mail.
But you first need to search your mail to be able set up this feature?
Yes!

No, the filter you set up is a "function" that automatically handles your incoming email (in this case). You "set it and forget it", and it does its job.
ok "STN