Nirvana HQ

Mateusz

Registered
Oh, I think I saw that! It's not a full dark mode yet, I'm hoping we will have 100% dark background theme soon. Thanks!
No, it is 100% Dark Mode:)
In the web version, there is a mode which is called "dark" but it is not. But in the Desktop versions, they added a real Dark Mode.
Please have a look:
Zrzut-ekranu-2019-10-15-o-17-00-58.png

bcmyers2112

Registered
No, it is 100% Dark Mode:)
In the web version, there is a mode which is called "dark" but it is not. But in the Desktop versions, they added a real Dark Mode.

Is that beta software? I went to the Nirvana website and couldn't find anything about a desktop version.

TesTeq

Registered
Just installed the latest beta. I like the dark mode.
I hope nobody will be offended by my new idea. :D Here's BLACKANA - the best black mode competitor to Asana, Nirvana, OmniFocus, Nozbe and Todoist. You can have million things to do but BLACKANA always displays this beautiful black screen. You're done. Relax! @mcogilvie ;)
[BLACKANA]
BLACKANA.PNG

mcogilvie

Registered
I hope nobody will be offended by my new idea. :D Here's BLACKANA - the best black mode competitor to Asana, Nirvana, OmniFocus, Nozbe and Todoist. You can have million things to do but BLACKANA always displays this beautiful black screen. You're done. Relax! @mcogilvie ;)
[BLACKANA]
View attachment 494

Perfect. It always responds totally appropriately to whatever you throw at it. We’ve gone way beyond “mind like water” now and have arrived at “mind like black hole.” It takes in everything, and spits out Hawking radiation.

bcmyers2112

Registered
I like the dark interface because it's more legible. I think Nirvana's implementation of GTD is the most faithful to the methodology of any software I've tried, but the interface could use work. The dark mode is a step in the right direction.

I hope someone at the company considers hiring a UI consultant. The program has some great features, but like I said the UI leaves a fair amount to be desired.

Mind you, I'm still happy enough with Nirvana to stick with it for the time being. I like it better than anything else I've tried so far.

Oogiem

Registered
I like the dark interface because it's more legible.
I find this so odd. For me the biggest advantage of modern computers vs the old CRTs I started on is the black text on a light background. So much more readable and less eye strain. I can't even function with dark mode in apps. I remember there were studies that showed light background and dark text is more healthy for your eyes as well as easier to read for most people.

bcmyers2112

Registered
I find this so odd. For me the biggest advantage of modern computers vs the old CRTs I started on is the black text on a light background. So much more readable and less eye strain. I can't even function with dark mode in apps. I remember there were studies that showed light background and dark text is more healthy for your eyes as well as easier to read for most people.

Normally I prefer dark text on light screen. Unfortunately, in light mode some of Nirvana's icons lack contrast against the white background and are hard to see.

Like I said, the company could really use the services of a UIX consultant.

JMartinez

Registered
I started using Nirvana back when you could buy the lifetime subscription (I am not sure the lifetime option exists anymore). I remember testing the app, loving it and subscribing it for life! But at the same time I was obsessed with my Calendar and started testing Trello with Google Calendar integration. Long story short, I moved my system to Trello+Google Calendar+Google Keep and started scheduling tasks like crazy. Then I realized I was complicating my system and creating a sense of task urgency that was overwhelming me.
I looked back to Nirvana and loved it again!
Nirvana is simple, pure GTD-oriented with no calendar integration that usually made me schedule everything. So I'm using Nirvana for all my next actions (I love the Areas of Focus option, I have Personal and Work), minimal contexts (@home, @work, @calls, @errands) and everything else that has a date goes to my Google Calendar (reminders, events, deadlines). I use the "Scheduled" option on Nirvana for deferred actions, as a trigger that I need to get back to it again, not as a hard due date.
I store MPN (master project notes) on Onenote and support material on Onedrive.
It's been working well so far!

Hello Have you thought about implementing the calendar in Nirvana? I have done it recently and I am happy. In the "Scheduled" list for Nirvana, I have the calendar, the recurrent ones and the tickler file

JMartinez

Registered
I really do love Nirvanahq and how well it works for me. I will be patient! :D

Resist!!! as I have been a user of Nirvana for many many many years. They had the old interface still when I started with them. As they usually say ... Old rockers never die. Hang in there, buddy! They are slow but sure. Besides.... after so many years, I've made approaches to other tools and always returned with my tail between my legs to the heat and security of Nirvana

Ariadne Marques

Registered
Is there a way to duplicate an entire project in Nirvana? Or, to duplicate a group of actions? I'm asking because I have work projects that follow the same initial steps every time I start them (think construction tender projects with a series of initial setup actions to get it running). I was thinking I could create a "template" project with these actions and then copy them all to a new project. Thoughts or ideas? Thanks so much!

Mateusz

Registered
Is there a way to duplicate an entire project in Nirvana? Or, to duplicate a group of actions? I'm asking because I have work projects that follow the same initial steps every time I start them (think construction tender projects with a series of initial setup actions to get it running). I was thinking I could create a "template" project with these actions and then copy them all to a new project. Thoughts or ideas? Thanks so much!
Probably the best what you can do is creating a references notebook(with items) as your project template. Each time when you need you can make a copy of this notebook (popup menu) and convert a copy into the project(popup menu).

Last edited:

JMartinez

Registered
Really easy @Ariadne Marques

as @Mateusz says, as simple as that:

1. Create a reference list and call it a project template x
2. Right mouse button and "Make a copy"
3. Select the new copy > Right mouse button "Convert to project".

Voila! you have your template reference list converted into a project. You can have as many templates as you want.

You can see the process there

Nirvana-makecopy.png

ConvertProject.png

TesTeq

Registered
Probably the best what you can do is creating a references notebook(with items) as your project template. Each time when you need you can make a copy of this notebook (popup menu) and convert a copy into the project(popup menu).
In Things (iPad) you choose "Duplicate" from the Project's local menu.
In TaskPaper (Mac) you choose "Duplicate" from the "Item" menu or press Shift-Command-D.
Just saying... @Ariadne Marques @mcogilvie

mcogilvie

Registered
In Things (iPad) you choose "Duplicate" from the Project's local menu.
In TaskPaper (Mac) you choose "Duplicate" from the "Item" menu or press Shift-Command-D.
Just saying... @Ariadne Marques @mcogilvie
Duplication is my most common way of adding a new next action after completing one. “Begin rough draft” gives rise to “Complete rough draft” and so on. It’s fast and efficient when supported directly by the app. Duplication works throughout Things, across platforms. Even if you didn’t have duplication in Taskpaper, cut and paste is almost as easy.

Omnifocus used to drive me nuts with its behavior in iOS. Duplication is enabled in the built-in tag (context) and project views, but not in any user-defined views. It’s like buying a big truck with a 10-speed transmission and finding out the clutch only works in first and second gear. I check periodically to see if it’s fixed. So far, no.