Is Nirvana GTD app going to close?

benclo

Registered
It's weird - I keep coming back to Nirvana after flirting with lots of other tools - I've recently had to go "cross platform". The niggles for me are essentially that it doesn't have a great note taking function and I can't add attachments (especially photos). But... it works. I've just spent the last couple of weeks playing with ClickUp, Marvin, and some others - and they're all great - and have lots of functions, yet it ends up as sand in the gears.

I do wish though that they would add a few more updates now and then :)

bcmyers2112

Registered
It's weird - I keep coming back to Nirvana after flirting with lots of other tools - I've recently had to go "cross platform". The niggles for me are essentially that it doesn't have a great note taking function and I can't add attachments (especially photos). But... it works. I've just spent the last couple of weeks playing with ClickUp, Marvin, and some others - and they're all great - and have lots of functions, yet it ends up as sand in the gears.

I do wish though that they would add a few more updates now and then :)

I posted a rant in another thread about Nirvana's shortcomings but it's looking like I'm going to stick with it. For all I want to bitch about it, it feels like it has it where it counts. At least for me.

I played with Amazing Marvin on a lark and found it confusing and overwhelming as hell.

Last edited:

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Yes, there are many things I wish Nirvana could do. And I am as frustrated as anyone else on their slow progress. But as @bcmyers2112 said, it has the right feel for a good GTD workflow, is lightening fast, syncs rapidly, and is....well....simple, but elegant. I too am sticking with Nirvana.

Mateusz

Registered
We are all on the same boat.
My biggest issue with Nirvana is the lack of communication or wrong communication. One year ago I received a few emails from them which claimed that updates should be released in August 2019.
Fortunately, we are almost one year older and... nothing from them.
It is not about lack of new features. It is about deluding me and many other users.
Hence to that reason I consider a permanent switch to Everdo app which at least has very clear and honest communication with users.
Its similarity to Nirvana only makes this decision easier.
If Nirvana doesn't change its approach and Everdo implements most of the positions from its roadmap, the choice will be as easy as a sneeze.

Longstreet

We are all on the same boat.
My biggest issue with Nirvana is the lack of communication or wrong communication. One year ago I received a few emails from them which claimed that updates should be released in August 2019.
Fortunately, we are almost one year older and... nothing from them.
It is not about lack of new features. It is about deluding me and many other users.
Hence to that reason I consider a permanent switch to Everdo app which at least has very clear and honest communication with users.
Its similarity to Nirvana only makes this decision easier.
If Nirvana doesn't change its approach and Everdo implements most of the positions from its roadmap, the choice will be as easy as a sneeze.
I took a look at Everdo and it looks amazingly like Nirvana. One thing that is holding me back from switching is I purchased a lifetime subscription to Nirvana, so no further costs. I think Everdo is $67 US dollars per year. But I guess if we do not see ANY progress in Nirvana by the end of the year, then perhaps it will be time to move on. We will see.

Longstreet

It is one time payment.
There is optional subscription for synchronization through internet which is 10€ annually.
Sync through local network is free.
Oh really? Wow - have you moved over? You stated that they are interactive with their clients. Tell me how you like using Everdo - now I may not wait until the end of the year.

Mateusz

Registered
Oh really? Wow - have you moved over? You stated that they are interactive with their clients. Tell me how you like using Everdo - now I may not wait until the end of the year.
I like a programmer's approach and attitude towards this project. That is why I have bought it - because I wanted to support his great work.

Currently, I use it for one particular area which is more sensitive for me. Everdo keeps everything in the local SQLite database. No cloud.

Basically, the workflow is pretty the same in both Everdo and Nirvana.

Some small advantages (coincidental order):

• 90% of operations you can do from the keyboard only. There is a goal to support every action.
  • when you use the filter from the top panel then only logically possible options stay available for you
  • when you use a filter within one list and switch to another list, the filter remains remembered. For me, it is good behaviour.
  • it is possible to set a Waiting state for projects
  • there is a Context section on the side panel which can work like favourites feature for tags and contacts
  • there is an option to repeat a task only when the previous one is done
  • it is possible to convert a checklist into tasks
  • because it is an SQLlite database it is possible to do automatic backup of the file every day
  • there is a community forum and the main developer is there almost every day
  • absolutely great roadmap
  • items on a waiting list show how many days you are waiting

Some disadvantages:
  • there is no email to inbox. It is in the roadmap
  • tags, areas and contacts names are listed alphabetically not logically. Not a big deal because it is possible to use a special character at the beginning of the name and force expected sorting.
  • there is no Later list
  • I believe Nirvana has better colour contrast. Everdo is a little too vivid
  • multiple items selection is clickable, no lasso feature
  • no visible sync state indicator. It is in the roadmap

Uppermentioned points probably aren't the only ones.

Definitely, Everdo isn't as mature project as Nirvana is and maybe it is to early to ultimately say it is better.

You can always give it a try for free. There are restrictions for up to 5 projects and 2 areas. All other functions are available for free.

benclo

Registered
Everdo looks remarkably similar to Nirvana - the UI is almost exactly the same. It's like a port of the product to a green UI and with an installed application. The colours are tricky - I'm struggling to read it properly after half a bottle of wine. Maybe one day - feels a bit immature yet - and a bit pricey? EUR70 (which for me in Australia, is $115 + $5/month for sync) - that's a lot. That's getting up with OmniFocus. Looks like it has potential though.

Steve_Dunn

Registered
I am sticking with Nirvana. I still think it is outstanding to use as my trusted GTD system. :)

I'm considering Nirvana too..... I'm currently with GTDNext (which I'm really enjoying but it has quirks).
I really like the "lifetime" price of $49 for Nirvana. I think if sub-projects would come that would be a definite switchover for me.

Hasan Bjaili

Registered
After decades of search, the finding and the abandonment, like many of you I was very anxious to see NirvanaHQ succeed. But alas there is not the sense that development is a reasonably aggressive path. Now if you want to see an equally elegant execution but already way ahead of Nirvana and putting out notable, well thought out improvements every couple of months, head over to ClickUp. Very impressive.
Hi
Are using ClickUp? I am using it but I am stuck on making my project task to appear in my Next Action List.

benclo

Registered
Hi
Are using ClickUp? I am using it but I am stuck on making my project task to appear in my Next Action List.
I struggled with ClickUp - the iPhone app was too complex for use on the go and the overall system, whilst it was so close, still leaves me with the ever present "reference material" problem (which I use EverNote for).

When someone creates a system that allows me to use Evernote as the basis with a layer of next actions over the top... I'm there...

Graeme Thom

Registered
Bulk import of tasks/projects (including notes) and/or checklists via Excel using email to Inbox (also Braintoss for quick additions) and another Rapid Entry workaround

Hi everyone. I've only just discovered GTD in the last few months and have been reading the books and especially listening to the audiobook (many times over). Like others I have been looking into what apps/tools I can set up to be as functionally complex as I need in order to handle the steps, i.e. capture/clarify/organize/reflect on everything in real time (or on an "as needed" or regular basis) and allow me to actually engage (do) when in the appropriate context, but at the same time be as simple and elegant as possible so I don't get buried by the complexity (which is what I'm trying to avoid in the first place).

After trying many apps I found NirvanaHQ - at first glance it seemed to be purpose-built specifically to handle GTD principles and methodology/workflow. It looked very attractive as it allows for all facets of GTD "out of the box" and is cross-platform (web/mobile) and the UI and design not overly cluttered - i.e. relatively low barrier to entry in getting started with the main idea of GTD being implementation of the 5 steps. The last thing I want at this point is a steep software learning curve which could detract from my actually getting things done.

I've searched this forum and other groups on the web and agree with many of the often mentioned shortfalls (wishlist) issues for NirvanaHQ including lack of ability to import data/lists from other platforms and file storage (i.e. for project support and reference material etc). Regarding file storage, I'm actually inclined to keep NirvanaHQ as the core GTD app workflow framework and begin storing all my other material on the cloud (Google Drive etc) and/or mindmap software (iThoughts). I want to keep the GTD app as just the workflow manager (or virtual control cockpit) and not be burdened by other file storage and organization complexities.

Despite NirvanaHQ's current shortfalls, I do believe the "email to Inbox" feature is very handy and I've set up my main Braintoss email address using the NirvanaHQ email to send to Inbox - and Braintoss' voice recognition usually provides a pretty accurate transcript of what I've voiced into the app (at least enough to be able to work out my earlier thought when it comes to clarifying in the Inbox).

I also found a "Rapid Entry" (Windows) workaround on the web which allows for a copied list of items in clipboard memory to be automatically entered - each as a new Task/Project item - into NirvanaHQ Inbox for later clarifying.
https://www.damiansurr.com/how-to-add-lots-of-tasks-to-nirvanahq-batch-import-multiple-actions

This also got me thinking about how I could try and work out a "Rapid" (bulk) email import of sorts - and I started exploring the web for ideas about using Excel for bulk emailing - using the NirvanaHQ email to send lots of items to Inbox - which would be useful for making new or importing existing data/lists from other apps and also checklists (which are lines of text preceded by a hyphen and a space character in the Notes section in NirvanaHQ).

So I designed a basic Excel spreadsheet which allows for "Email to Inbox" using the user's NirvanaHQ email address - and for quick sending of tasks/project titles (i.e. the email subject line) and also lines of text in the Notes section which can become checklist items if preceded by a hyphen and space character (this option to use checklist or no checklist can be selected in Excel - up to 15 items). If you already have a 2-column or tab separated set of text data from a list manager or other app (where the left column is the task/project name and the right column contains the supporting Notes) you can also copy/paste up to 100 line items (i.e. 100 tasks/projects) into the spreadsheet and quickly send each as their own email into the NirvanaHQ Inbox - once they are in Inbox you can then move/organize/tag as necessary within your own GTD workflow process.

The 100 line limit above can be readily extended in the spreadsheet, although more than 15 checklist items seemed problemtatic as I think Excel has a character limit in the formula cells I was compiling. Another point is that you can also use the spreadsheet to convert a checklist (or list of sub-tasks) into their own individual tasks/projects.

I've attached a couple of screenshots here and can provide more information and share the spreadhseet if anyone is interested or has any questions about any of the points here.

Cheers,
Graeme
ExcelChecklist.pngChecklistEmail.pngExcelBulkImport.pngBulkImportEmail.pngNirvanaHQ_Inbox.png

Last edited:

JMartinez

Registered
Hello Everyone. Great news. Today we have Nirvana's update!

July 9, 2020

Desktop App, version 3.5.2 (macOS & windows 10)

• Keyboard navigation enhancements — Select tasks with up/down arrow keys; shift+up/down to select multiple tasks; option+up/down to move selected tasks; with tasks selected, right arrow to show notes, left arrow to hide notes, enter to edit, then enter to save changes; n key inserts a new task just below selected tasks; and bracket keys [ and ] are now what we use to traversing lists in the left navi.
  • Drag-select fixes — Select tasks like you would select files and folders on your computer’s desktop, then right-click for options or drag selected items to another list.
  • Legibility improvements — no more tiny fonts, and color contrast has been increased to help reduce eye strain.
  • Dark mode is now a Nirvana Pro feature ( thank you supporting us!)
  • Updated tons of underlying code libraries to latest versions.
  • Updated tons of underlying code to enable theming and internationalization (in an upcoming release).

Longstreet

Hello Everyone. Great news. Today we have Nirvana's update!

July 9, 2020

Desktop App, version 3.5.2 (macOS & windows 10)

• Keyboard navigation enhancements — Select tasks with up/down arrow keys; shift+up/down to select multiple tasks; option+up/down to move selected tasks; with tasks selected, right arrow to show notes, left arrow to hide notes, enter to edit, then enter to save changes; n key inserts a new task just below selected tasks; and bracket keys [ and ] are now what we use to traversing lists in the left navi.
  • Drag-select fixes — Select tasks like you would select files and folders on your computer’s desktop, then right-click for options or drag selected items to another list.
  • Legibility improvements — no more tiny fonts, and color contrast has been increased to help reduce eye strain.
  • Dark mode is now a Nirvana Pro feature ( thank you supporting us!)
  • Updated tons of underlying code libraries to latest versions.
  • Updated tons of underlying code to enable theming and internationalization (in an upcoming release).
Yes, but this is just for the desktop Beta app. And the killer bug of if you empty the trash within the app, you no longer can add text to anything. You still have to close out the app and restart it. I reported this months ago. It is highly reproducible. And it is still there. I am very disappointed.

JMartinez

Registered
Yes, but this is just for the desktop Beta app. And the killer bug of if you empty the trash within the app, you no longer can add text to anything. You still have to close out the app and restart it. I reported this months ago. It is highly reproducible. And it is still there. I am very disappointed.

I found 2 bugs more
if the contact list is long, I can't scroll up and down

The right bracket ] does not work to scroll down in the English keyboard navigation list