About a problem using Davids email system being able to archive emails within waiting for folder"

In Gmail, once you move the email to a label, you cannot archive it from there. It goes into "All mail" You would be able to find it in both places. Archive just sends it to All Mail. If you label something from Inbox, it will remain in inbox and you could click the icon from there. It would then move to All Mail and still have the label and again you could find it in both places. I keep my inbox at 0 and label emails. "read through", "follow up", or "waiting for". I do contexts in my system not my email. If I need to search for an email the search function is excellent. That is rare though. View attachment 1998
to start

"In Gmail, once you move the email to a label, you cannot archive it from there." it seems like I have glitch then - cos what I show first image upload in this post is being able to archive emails in a label "

Yeah,
I haven't done the best using NA's in emails in the past either.

I've used apple notes.

... was gonna write - should experiment with same as your showing here despite what others have shared to me.

showing images - you have list of project (the main task - but are not , don't have a space for sub tasks there? " s
Right I put the next action on a context list. Projects are listed as "What done looks like." So yes projects is just a list. Why would you try to come up with all the next items and put them on your project list? Just put the very next action in contexts. People are making it too hard. They worry more about having the right tool, the right system (complicated one) instead of actually getting things done. For example, If I have a project called Plant rhododendron. The very next action is Agenda ask wife where she would like me to plant it. I may get all the way to purchasing the plant. And then the very next action @Home- Plant Rhododendron. I certainly don't need to put all the intermediary steps down as I'm doing one after the other. But if I stopped after ask wife where to plant it. The very next action would be @Home- cut down boxwood she hates. I could finish the project from there without another next action by doing all the steps. If I stop anywhere along the way, I would put the very next action down and I could pick up right where I left off. If I miss next the action, I will catch it at weekly review. And go oh i need to put buy plant on my errand list or whatever the next action is. The ONLY time I use project support is if I have a tremendous amount of documents or it is a large project that is complicated. Even still that is rare and the project list would still just be like "Have a new accounting software in place by 12/31/24". You might have sub projects but why not wait til you do? And even then it would go on your project list.

to start

"In Gmail, once you move the email to a label, you cannot archive it from there." it seems like I have glitch then - cos what I show first image upload in this post is being able to archive emails in a label "
It looks like you are in all mail. The thread might have already been "archived" and is just in all mail. (no labels) That is why the archive option is not available. "All mail" is all undeleted email. whether "archived" or not. So if you archived it in the past the archive button will be un available. If you put a label on it it will be under the label tab and all mail. And icon will be un available.

Right I put the next action on a context list. Projects are listed as "What done looks like." So yes projects is just a list. Why would you try to come up with all the next items and put them on your project list? Just put the very next action in contexts. People are making it too hard. They worry more about having the right tool, the right system (complicated one) instead of actually getting things done. For example, If I have a project called Plant rhododendron. The very next action is Agenda ask wife where she would like me to plant it. I may get all the way to purchasing the plant. And then the very next action @Home- Plant Rhododendron. I certainly don't need to put all the intermediary steps down as I'm doing one after the other. But if I stopped after ask wife where to plant it. The very next action would be @Home- cut down boxwood she hates. I could finish the project from there without another next action by doing all the steps. If I stop anywhere along the way, I would put the very next action down and I could pick up right where I left off. If I miss next the action, I will catch it at weekly review. And go oh i need to put buy plant on my errand list or whatever the next action is. The ONLY time I use project support is if I have a tremendous amount of documents or it is a large project that is complicated. Even still that is rare and the project list would still just be like "Have a new accounting software in place by 12/31/24". You might have sub projects but why not wait til you do? And even then it would go on your project list.

*seen your whole writing here right now - makes me seem or feel bit overwhelmed with amount volume sent here'

With food dude (going over all your posts since this one)

From memory now - basically what he's saying could be best instead having waiting for folder (recommended in the guid) I could try moving it to section in list manager to declutter mail

1"
In Gmail, once you move the email to a label, you cannot archive it from there. It goes into "All mail" You would be able to find it in both places. Archive just sends it to All Mail."

So if want to archive a mail you recommending I not label it

“It would then move to All Mail and still have the label and again you could find it in both places. I keep my inbox at 0 and label emails. "read through", "follow up", or "waiting for". I do contexts in my system not my email. “

I should strive to do this afterwards?

Post #9
“allows you to hit the archive icon if it is in your inbox.” - what I was showing was in a label waiting for in image (not in my all mail but a label)

Next post #
“knowing I'm going to be WF an answer, I bcc to myself so I can move to "Waiting for" label. Then I don't have to remember to go to send file to label it. “ your writing its easier to not use the labels feature

“cons like delete and archive, is when I receive an email or when I have time to do a quick 2 min to clear inbox. In that two minutes I will delete archive or label as much as I can.” - so you make the decision there and then? "

*seen your whole writing here right now - makes me seem or feel bit overwhelmed with amount volume sent here'
Didn't want it to be overwhelming, but so many people try to list projects in a folder and plan all the next steps. When they leave it they instinctively know they have missed something and it's still on their mind. When I list a project, I put down the very next action in contexts and I'm done thinking about it. What I was trying to show is I may get many actions done or just one. if the project is not done, I put the very next action in my contexts. Then it is off my mind. Trust the system.

With food dude (going over all your posts since this one)

From memory now - basically what he's saying could be best instead having waiting for folder (recommended in the guid) I could try moving it to section in list manager to declutter mail

1"
In Gmail, once you move the email to a label, you cannot archive it from there. It goes into "All mail" You would be able to find it in both places. Archive just sends it to All Mail."

So if want to archive a mail you recommending I not label it

“It would then move to All Mail and still have the label and again you could find it in both places. I keep my inbox at 0 and label emails. "read through", "follow up", or "waiting for". I do contexts in my system not my email. “

I should strive to do this afterwards?

Post #9
“allows you to hit the archive icon if it is in your inbox.” - what I was showing was in a label waiting for in image (not in my all mail but a label)

Next post #
“knowing I'm going to be WF an answer, I bcc to myself so I can move to "Waiting for" label. Then I don't have to remember to go to send file to label it. “ your writing its easier to not use the labels feature

“cons like delete and archive, is when I receive an email or when I have time to do a quick 2 min to clear inbox. In that two minutes I will delete archive or label as much as I can.” - so you make the decision there and then? "
Delete is your friend. When I am going through my inbox I delete a lot of emails.

1. No I still label emails. I have 3 follow up, read through, and waiting for. When I do email, I move most of them to the folder I want or delete them. Once you label an email it removes from your inbox to all mail. You lose the ability to "archive" it because it is already archived. It may help to think of all mail as your archive folder as gmail doesn't have an archive folder.

Post 9 Ok if it is in a label, and none in the thread in your inbox the archive icon is not available. See above.

When I'm done with a labeled email, I just remove the label. It stays in all mail til I delete it.

Didn't want it to be overwhelming,
its not you, but me - with my health"
but so many people try to list projects in a folder and plan all the next steps.
in the Gmail label e-mail folder "waiting for" for example - your saying here?
When they leave it they instinctively know they have missed something and it's still on their mind.
Is that what I've experience - labelling a mail in waiting for - then still feel like ... cos its not in list manager -your saying here?
When I list a project, I put down the very next action in contexts
I couldn't see that in print screen jpeg you shared before - just saw minimal 1 actions listed ?
and I'm done thinking about it. What I was trying to show is I may get many actions done or just one. if the project is not done, I put the very next action in my contexts. Then it is off my mind.
your saying - you find it best to try keep everything together in your one apple notes"
Trust the system.

P.S.
Did you see the D M I sent you regarding myself trying to follow take your apple notes suggestion? If not or can't - I could/can upload the message in this thread

Also I wonder why your name is food dude? its not - your not promoting a conventual modern day diet are you? I could share the truth about diet similar to how I was just writing to @gtdstudente "

Delete is your friend. When I am going through my inbox I delete a lot of emails.
I don't normally do that, haven't been so. Till this moment in time, I actually have habit of not deleting much mail on my inbox at all - cos of the reason said in video linked above , being unsure what do with it *1
1. No I still label emails. I have 3 follow up, read through, and waiting for.
Right I was told from Asana guide - only use two label e-mails WF and 'follow up' - your saying
I can't do it have no label in my e-mails?

But I thought you just wrote before - that you don't keep/save any e-mails in label emails?
When I do email, I move most of them to the folder I want or delete them. Once you label an email it removes from your inbox to all mail.
Oh right - I understand now "labelling" a mail moves it to two places?
You lose the ability to "archive" it because it is already archived.
"what I'm mentioning for third time at least now - is there is a glitch (shown in my JPEG before) where gives option to "archive" after labelled a mail. *2
It may help to think of all mail as your archive folder as gmail doesn't have an archive folder.

Unless you made one titled that - which I did? which I can delete?

Post 9 Ok if it is in a label, and none in the thread in your inbox the archive icon is not available. See above.
Again - i must have glitch then.
When I'm done with a labeled email, I just remove the label. It stays in all mail til I delete it.
' don't you think its annoying - having to label/relabel ? or why not just delete it then?"

*1 - could help here?
*2 there was reason why was mentioning this

Nice to hear your voice!

To your example in the recording, you ALMOST answer it yourself. You don't want to do anything about it now, but you don't want to delete it, because it may have future value. Those emails go into "Someday/Maybe"!

Nice to hear your voice!

To your example in the recording, you ALMOST answer it yourself.

I appreciate your feedback?

But I have troubles knowing what I want to do?

You don't want to do anything about it now, but you don't want to delete it, because it may have future value. Those emails go into "Someday/Maybe"!
' so things I sense have future value:
I can start putting on my new Icloud list manager recommended by @fooddude ? 's

What I would do, is just to label it Someday-Maybe in Gmail. Whenever I do a weekly review I will see it again, and decide if I want to take action on it or not.

What I would do, is just to label it Someday-Maybe in Gmail. Whenever I do a weekly review I will see it again, and decide if I want to take action on it or not.

agreed anything with future value but not actionable right now would be someday/maybe. I move items during my weekly review to projects. If it still interests me. I find a lot of someday maybes are deleted when it no longer interests me.

OK a new folder

whether you will move it then to your list manger your saying ? "
Exactly!

The point is that you aren't ready to do anything about it, but don't want to lose it - and the weekly review serves as a new reminder. Then, you can choose to move on it or not - and decide if you want to delete or keep it for future review.

you also use this gmail folder ?

on your i cloud list manger - right

you delete alot of them?"
I do not keep a gmail folder for this. I have 3 Waiting for, Read Later, Follow up. I may even get rid of follow up because it crosses over to waiting for. My someday/maybe list is just like my apple notes is just like my project list. 1727876544967.png
Do I delete a lot of them? Eh when they don't interest me anymore sure. They are replaced by something else that catches my eye. I delete projects that don't interest me anymore too. Look I keep my system really simple. For example, for every project there is one next action. the very next action. Please don't change yours as the sands shift. I see so many complicated systems that might work for some. They move this to here and copy paste and change to this folder or that. That is too complicated for me and I would spend so much time on the system and not get anything done. Which is the whole point of GTD :) But several years ago I went back to the basics. I just listed a project (on my project list) like any one would do a to do list. Making sure I used done terminology. That was the aha moment for my system. I put the next action on one of my 7 context lists. I was done with that item. (or it was off my mind til I was at that context.) I put my next project on my project list. And the very next action on a context list. I don't do urgency. I don't do most important. I keep it really simple. I find when I do the very next action, I can do several more to move a project along. **You know what I mean. An email gets answered and you can finally move 4 steps down the project** When I get to that stopping point, only the very next action goes on my context list. Are there confusions? Sometimes. That's where the weekly review comes in. Genius. If your system is too complicated, you will spend your weekly review time tweaking your system to "Get it just right" That is not the purpose of the weekly review. I hope this helps. I try to keep it as simple as possible, but not simpler. -Einstein I think but I'm not looking it up right now:)

Exactly!

The point is that you aren't ready to do anything about it, but don't want to lose it - and the weekly review serves as a new reminder. Then, you can choose to move on it or not - and decide if you want to delete or keep it for future review.
' I

I made a nother new folder titled your name , 4 somedaymaybe , erm

(even though i've also created folders in past (for this same purpose) which are now cluttered, what should I do about this? "

I do not keep a gmail folder for this. I have 3 Waiting for, Read Later, Follow up. I may even get rid of follow up because it crosses over to waiting for. My
I thought you just wrote you have mail follow uo folder?
someday/maybe list is just like my apple notes is just like my project list.
Your projects list?
View attachment 2005
Do I delete a lot of them? Eh when they don't interest me anymore sure.
right
They are replaced by something else that catches my eye. I delete projects that don't interest me anymore too. Look I keep my system really simple. For example, for every project there is one next action. the very next action. Please don't change yours as the sands shift. I see so many complicated systems that might work for some. They move this to here and copy paste and change to this folder or that.

That is too complicated for me and I would spend so much time on the system and not get anything done. Which is the whole point of GTD :) But several years ago I went back to the basics. I just listed a project (on my project list) like any one would do a to do list. Making sure I used done terminology. That was the aha moment for my system. I put the next action on one of my 7 context lists. I was done with that item. (or it was off my mind til I was at that context.) I put my next project on my project list. And the very next action on a context list. I don't do urgency. I don't do most important. I keep it really simple. I find when I do the very next action, I can do several more to move a project along. **You know what I mean. An email gets answered and you can finally move 4 steps down the project** When I get to that stopping point, only the very next action goes on my context list. Are there confusions? Sometimes. That's where the weekly review comes in. Genius. If your system is too complicated, you will spend your weekly review time tweaking your system to "Get it just right" That is not the purpose of the weekly review. I hope this helps. I try to keep it as simple as possible, but not simpler. -Einstein I think but I'm not looking it up right now:)

requires reviewing futher"