About to move back to GTD on paper - what folder/paper-binding system to use?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss Tools & Software for GTD' started by Ship69, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Geeko

Geeko GTD since 2017

technical writer, martial arts teacher
    Thanks for the offer but I think I will keep my beautiful filofax malden :)
    The main downside was the size but maybe it is just time for another (bigger) bag :D
    I made some custom dividers in A5, too. Maybe you could try Inkscape to open your Illustrator files (https://inkscape.org/). If you have any trouble regarding this, feel free to drop me a line :)

Cheers,
    Tristan

2. chirmer

chirmer Registered

Web & graphic designer, marketer
    Home Page:
    Oh, I don't think I was very clear in my post, haha - I meant if you can't find any inserts with the calendar layout you like, not to suggest getting a whole new Filofax! ;) These things are too expensive to replace that easily...

3. Geeko

Geeko GTD since 2017

I think we actually were on the same page ;) I was thinking about switching from Filofax to Staples ARC so your post made perfectly sense. And as you say, a Filofax is too expensive to get dusty on my bookshelf. So I will live with the downsides (no compatibility in size) and make the best of it :)
    BTW: Filofax offers exactly the inserts I like and I already made some dividers with pages of the GTD methodology guide on the back :) I hope you will be able to recover your inserts.

Cheers,
    Tristan

4. mcogilvie

mcogilvie Registered

I find that the biggest downside of paper is the lack of easy revision, but search might be #2. It’s common for me to revise my next actions to sharpen them.

5. Oogiem

Oogiem Registered

I admit that I shudder to even consider using paper for implementing GTD.

For me the biggest downsides include more difficult to impossible backups, sheer volume if I include everything I have in my existing system, inability to easily modify and edit the exact wording of projects and actions, no search, and no ability to easily change the structure if my life changes.

I admire folks who make it work, but I know I could never do that. My paper implementation lasted less than a week, years ago. Now I doubt I'd even last a day using paper before I went totally nuts.

6. chirmer

chirmer Registered

Web & graphic designer, marketer
    Home Page:
    Thanks! I did and they're good to go... for ARCs heh. I actually made my first Filofax insert already—an improved To Do list page. The ones that only fit 11/page just aren't cutting it for me, haha. And so it begins...

7. Geeko

Geeko GTD since 2017

I switched to plain Paper for my TODOs and simply rule out the tasks that are done (feels very satisfying :D). I had some trouble with the personal size but I still think it is a good compromise between size and space. Well, at the moment I prefer my A5 sized planner :)
    Cheers,
    Tristan

8. David Popely

David Popely Registered

I've been running GTD out of a Filofax ring bound binder for about 8 years and I have a couple of blog posts detailing my setup if you're interested

Geeko likes this.
  9. Geeko

Geeko GTD since 2017

That sounds interesting :) It would be nice if you could share a few links.

Cheers,
    Tristan

10. David Popely

David Popely Registered

Hi Tristan

I'm a member of the Philofaxy Facebook group (and several others), and a regular on the Philofaxy website at https://philofaxy.blogspot.com/

You can find posts on the Philofaxy website about how I use my system, both the setup and the routines which lie behind it. I think it's important to remember that whether analog or digital, no app/binder/whatever is going to make GTD work - only the user can make it work, and then only by following the routines which underlie the system - weekly review done with no excuses or cop-outs, plus other reviews as may be necessary. For what it's worth check out my posts as follows:-

https://philofaxy.blogspot.com/2011/12/my-gtd-set-up-david-popely-guest-post.html

https://philofaxy.blogspot.com/2013/11/guest-post-my-current-gtd-based-filofax.html

https://philofaxy.blogspot.com/2014/08/guest-post-how-i-use-my-personal.html

Best wishes

David

Geeko, TMac and TesTeq like this.