Best GTD Apps

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss Tools & Software for GTD' started by Tombo, Sep 1, 2018.

1. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

I'm in! Let's do the MW-GTD-A (Mud Wrestling GTD App) championships in Amsterdam in June 2019 during The GTD Summit! @Longstreet ;)

Longstreet likes this.
  2. bcmyers2112

bcmyers2112 Registered

Game on.

TesTeq and Longstreet like this.
  3. Longstreet

Longstreet Registered

Professor of Microbiology & Infectious Diseases
    Oh my....still laughing! What have I got myself into? :D:D

TesTeq likes this.
  4. Lecter

Lecter GTD Ninja

Magician
    Home Page:
    Three three of you will never agree on the best type of mud to use!

TesTeq and Longstreet like this.
  5. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

I think it has to be The Official GTD Mud certified for a professional GTD wrestling usage by @DavidAllen himself. Probably The Amsterdam Mud mined from the canals! :D @bcmyers2112 @Longstreet

Longstreet and bcmyers2112 like this.
  6. mcogilvie

mcogilvie Registered

I’ve always been told that GTD is mud-agnostic: you can use any mud you want, as long as you can manage lists with it.

TesTeq, Longstreet and bcmyers2112 like this.
  7. Longstreet

Longstreet Registered

:D:D

TesTeq likes this.
  8. Longstreet

Longstreet Registered

:D:D

TesTeq likes this.
  9. Alejandro Fonseca

Alejandro Fonseca Registered

Why has no one mentioned Outlook? What does one do with their email using Nirvana or Nozbe?

10. Longstreet

Longstreet Registered

If I have an email that I determine is actionable and I can't do it in 5 minutes or less, I forward it to Nirvana for processing. It shows up in the Nirvana inbox. I save the original email in an @actions folder in Outlook. Works beautifully for me. :D

bcmyers2112 likes this.
  11. Lecter

Lecter GTD Ninja

Magician
    Home Page:
    One of the advantages of GTD is that you can make it work using whatever tools you like.

I created a custom AppleScript for TaskPaper. To use it, I select the e-mail in Apple Mail, and I invoke the script with a keyboard shortcut. The script then captures the data that I want, and formats it into a task, with a live link to the e-mail (which continues to work even if the e-mail is archived or placed into a folder). This task is filed as the top item in my Communications project. It all happens in less than a second.

Example:

Communication:
    - Respond to: Getting Things Done® Forums — 12/7/18 — Best GTD Apps - New message in watched forum — message://%3c751021f22b56189295228f434161390978cf34a5@forum.gettingthingsdone.com%3e — @start(2018-12-07)

12. pjaugust

pjaugust Registered

Sales Mgr - Beer Industry
    Nirvana and Todoist are two of the best around. Outlook is pretty legit too, especially if you sync with your mobile device using Companionlink/Dejaoffice.

But, flat lists on index cards (one card per context) are surprisingly solid as heck if you’re a visual person. Paper can be a great app!

Geeko and RS356 like this.
  13. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

In Nozbe you don't have to use email at all (within your team). You delegate tasks via Nozbe without the need to attach files and without a fear that you forgot to attach something. That's the next level of productivity - beyond Outlook! :cool:

14. AFG

AFG Registered

By the way: how secure is "forward to {Nirvana,OneNote,...}" for processing?

Actually, I can answer my own question: probably not secure at all.

Standard email systems have little in the way of authentication on email. So, unless you restrict yourselves to ascii text - not ascii text that looks like MIME, and certainly not HTML - it's a risk.

If your email client can apply a Private/Public cryptographic signature to email you forward to {Nirvana,OneNote,...}, then *maybe* I would trust it.

BTW - for real, this time - I used to do such forwarding all the time. I really miss it. I would hope that there are email clients and mail gateways to GTD apps that are properly secured in this way - but I am afraid that I don't know of them.

15. mcogilvie

mcogilvie Registered

I don’t really understand your security concerns. Things, for example, uses a long, pseudorandom email address and strips messages down to text, which are encrypted for transmission. It seems low risk overall, certainly lower than email itself.

16. Lagerbaer

Lagerbaer Registered

I don't see where the risk is. Like, with HTML etc, are you worried that someone would send malicious code to your NirvanaHQ inbox? Pretty sure they all sanitize the input and nothing is actually executed or run. (cf. this XKCD comic: https://xkcd.com/327/)

Or are you worried that someone might send tasks to your inbox to mess with your head? They'd still have to somehow get a handle on that long pseudorandom string (like, Todoist emails go to an address that's just a bunch of numbers and letters) that uniquely identifies your inbox.

I think FacileThings just uses a generic "inbox@facilethings.com" and thus someone would "just" need to spoof your email address to send stuff to your inbox. But even then, what's the end game here? Annoy the heck out of you by flooding the inbox? Well, if they want to be a pain in the butt, and they can spoof your email address, there's more pressing concerns.