Best GTD Apps

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss Tools & Software for GTD' started by Tombo, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Christina

Christina Registered

You are absolutely right. Beginners feel overwhelmed by choice. But often once they get into using a tool for a while and think more about their workflow they get REALLY bothered when something they want is not possible. With a tool you use every day even small things can start to bother you a lot. At least it's like that for a lot of people.

Francis Wade has a theory that your needs for a task manager evolve as you go along on your productivity journey: https://medium.com/2time-labs/what-...n-do-to-catch-up-with-pokemon-go-d69dfbd9953f
    I don't agree with everything 100%, but there is definitely a lot of truth to it.

Often there is also one specific feature someone is looking for that is hard to find. From a developer perspective with a customizable tool it's nice because you can add niche features without cluttering up everything as only people who need it can enable the feature. So it allows you to cover a wide variety of needs for many users that don't get served by the standard tools without bogging everyone down. I really enjoy that part. :)

TesTeq likes this.
  2. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

Unfortunately every time I wanted to customize the "insanely customizable app" the option I was dreaming of was not available. Probably my dreams are always outside the scope of the developer's imagination... ;)

Rostane and AFG like this.
  3. Christina

Christina Registered

Oh now my curiosity is piqued to the max! :) Please share your dream setup/feature.

TesTeq likes this.
  4. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

For example a powerful tagging interface with easily accessible (via dedicated buttons) groups of tags:
    @tags for places/contexts
    #tags for Areas of Focus
    &tags for people
    $tags for Projects
    This interface should allow creating complex filters ((&John and &Kelly) in (@Amsterdam or @Rotterdam) for $GTDPresentation).
    This interface should prevent redundant tags creation.

5. Mateusz

Mateusz Registered

I believe OmniFocus can do this.

I have checked an Amazing Marvin and indeed it is very customizable but for me its interface looks too nice:) I prefer more rough ones.

Yes I know... strange preference.

TesTeq likes this.
  6. Chris Austin

Chris Austin Registered

I use FacileThings...I’ve tried most all of them and there are many good ones. I like Nirvana but the lack of attachments is a weakness IMO. If/when Facilethings integrates with outlook and onenote that will truly be “nirvana” for me.

7. AFG

AFG Registered

Me too.

Apps that call themselves "insanely customizable" very often just have lots and lots of options.

The only truly customizable apps have embedded programming languages. Like elisp for EMACS.

TesTeq likes this.
  8. Mike Brennan

Mike Brennan Registered

I mainly just want an updated/better version of Nirvana that works across all platforms.

Mateusz likes this.
  9. Rostane

Rostane Registered

Tried I lot of them!

Nozbe was good but getting a bit expensive and too 'big' for me.
    Trello was cool for a while, but not the best for GTD.
    Tried Evernote also, was fine but I prefer using it for reference.
    If you guys remember TaskWriter (dead now :(), it was the closest to GTD I encounted ! Conqu was also fine.

Today I'm using Zenkit, switched to it when Trello was sold and I'm very happy with it so far.
    Looks like the team there like GTD a lot : https://zenkit.com/en/blog/how-to-set-up-gtd-in-zenkit/

Hope my experience helps you guys.

Cheers.

10. Zelda

Zelda Registered

After ages I came back to this forum and I remember you from the old days ;-)

I use Amazing Marvin too and they just released an update that has tag groups and advanced query language and tag management that prevents creating redundant labels too easily.

Not saying this to convince you but to make this tool more known since it has more to offer then many other tools and the devs are the most responsive I have ever seen. I am using GTD tools since 2003 and have seen a lot...the good and the bad ;-)

Christina and TesTeq like this.
  11. ColinRiegels

ColinRiegels Registered

Todoist. One of the most popular to-do list management apps, Todoist is my one of the top recommendations for the best GTD app. The tool provides a rich feature set for managing one's notes, checklists, tasks, habits, and much more through one platform.

12. Merinmel Caesg

Merinmel Caesg Registered