Best GTD Apps

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss Tools & Software for GTD' started by Tombo, Sep 1, 2018.

1. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

People complain that Nirvana, Nozbe, and Todoist are subscription based. They want free apps that sell their profiles to advertisers or "No SaaS. Pay once, use forever" like Everdo which is not a sustainable business model. One should not believe in apps paid once and then updated eternally... Just saying. @Mateusz

2. Mateusz

Mateusz Registered

I understand it differently. The term “pay ones and use forever” means that I can use forever what I have bought. It doesn’t mean that I will get access to every new version in the future. I believe one of the most famous app is a good example how it works. Namely OmniFocus. If you want to have a new major version than you have to buy another license but it is not oblige. You can still use what you have. Everdo has another fundamental difference which is no cloud needed. All data is stored locally.

BTW nirvana has added a life time license which is even worse business model. There is no way to grab additional money from users who have bought that license. Access to all future updates is guaranteed by license agreement.

3. mcogilvie

mcogilvie Registered

In my experience, your statements have limited applicability to the kinds of apps people use for GTD. Developers of software like Omnifocus and Things are not pretending to sell a lifetime license. Although people complain about the high cost, I think these are pretty good values. I’m not sure about some competing subscription software, which over five years cost more. Nirvana does offer a lifetime subscription, which I assume is priced according to some pricing model that makes sense. I also don’t know of any popular apps in this space that sell your profile, unless you include Google.

4. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

I have several "pay once" apps that no longer work due to iOS upgrades which are obligatory when you buy a new iPhone/iPad. And you have to buy new a hardware since batteries can be replaced by an authorized service only and are very expensive.

5. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

Everdo sells "use forever" license. "Forever" > "human lifetime", I suppose. ;)
    I don't have any evidence that free apps are literally "selling" user's profiles but they do it indirectly by displaying ads. For example a free version od Overcast podcast player displays podcast ads tailored for me.

6. Vishnu Kumar

Vishnu Kumar Registered

I’m new to GTD, so it took me a while to find an app that works for me. Most of the ones I tried were too complex and designed to help me in ways that hindered my learning of the GTD system. It wasn’t until I saw someone mention GoodTask at the bottom of a thread that I found an app that suits my needs.

It would be great if we could compile a list of the most recommended apps that people in this sub use. That could make it easier for newcomers (and veterans) to find an app that works for them. I’ll list a few that I’ve tried.

7. mcogilvie

mcogilvie Registered

Those are all reasonable apps to look at (except for Marvin- isn’t that an ebook reader?). I think a fair number of people would add Todoist to your list, and of course some people are stuck with Outlook. But choosing an app is such an individual thing. For example, GoodTask reminds me of the Palm app Datebk5 by the gorilla haven guy. They are both very clever programs that add functionality to a built-in app by storing metadata in the Note field. I know what the problems with that are, and I’ve decided against going that route. But that’s me.