Can Waiting For Lists be too long?

Logan

Registered
Just noticed a question I have no good answer for.

If a next action list gets too long, I move some next actions to someday/maybe.

What if the Waiting For list gets too long?
Split it up in lists for certain areas of responsibilities? I‘d never move them to someday/maybe, because usually they are just slowing me down anyway.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

mcogilvie

Registered
If you think about how you might split the list up (by time spent waiting, person, area of focus, et cetera), you might get some insight into why you feel the list is too long. Sometimes, for example, a project dies and nobody fills out the death certificate. Or a person or department is struggling. A list that feels “too long” may not be an objective problem in and of itself, but a perception of one or more other issues.

schmeggahead

Registered
I'm reading this and thinking, when do I want to see the waiting for's?

Grouping them by follow-up context might be helpful If you meet with a group on a particular topic on a regular basis, it might be helpful to cover that together. Knowing the meeting frequency, you know how many you have to handle outside of that context.

When I managed projects, I had waiting for's by project. They were covered in the project meetings mostly.

A long waiting for list sounds as if it is not precipitating the actions and follow-up that you desire.
The key thing motivating my to alter my system: where do I want to see it next and what will precipitate me looking there at the appropriate place and/or time.

Enjoy the day,
Clayton

Do not do unto others that which you do not want done to you. - Confucius

ivanjay205

Registered
I like keeping my waiting for "within" the project itself vs a standalone list. This way if I want to look at X project to see how I can move it forward I am also looking at what I am waiting for on that project. That helps me keep them within context. And manageable length.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
In talking with GTD enthusiasts about their lists, I often find that the Waiting For list is the most neglected for relieving stress. I could say, "Amazon never lets me down, so I don't need to track that order as a Waiting For." Until Amazon let me down in 2016 and I had several other costly dependent actions get derailed. The Waiting For list is tracking stuff that matters to me, that someone else is somehow doing. If I take an item off the list because the list is too long, I either need to renegotiate the agreement with myself that the item matters to me, or accept the added stress of tracking it mentally. For me, the Waiting For list is very busy, with items reviewed, added, and deleted often.

ivanjay205

Registered
In talking with GTD enthusiasts about their lists, I often find that the Waiting For list is the most neglected for relieving stress. I could say, "Amazon never lets me down, so I don't need to track that order as a Waiting For." Until Amazon let me down in 2016 and I had several other costly dependent actions get derailed. The Waiting For list is tracking stuff that matters to me, that someone else is somehow doing. If I take an item off the list because the list is too long, I either need to renegotiate the agreement with myself that the item matters to me, or accept the added stress of tracking it mentally. For me, the Waiting For list is very busy, with items reviewed, added, and deleted often.
Cannot echo this enough. I cannot say I follow it to this level. Although I wish I did as I needed to order wipes for my son and Amazon did let me down and I just "assumed" it had showed up. Hence the 9:30 PM target run the other night lol.

But I have to delegate a lot of my work and I also have to review and approve a lot of things prepared by others. Since I am the last in the chain at work, (executive role), if I do not track it and people run late.... Well that means I am doing it off hours or rushed. So my waiting list is typically pretty long.

I also suffer from a HORRIBLE memory. But, everyone in my office always wonders how I am so on top of EVERYTHING and constantly know where everything is and when it is due.... Well, that is the beauty of that waiting for list. It is my secret sauce.

That is why I mentioned the area of focus. I dont think the idea is to shorten it to the OP but to better manage it in spaces that make sense based on your priorities

Logan

Registered
If you think about how you might split the list up (by time spent waiting, person, area of focus, et cetera), you might get some insight into why you feel the list is too long. Sometimes, for example, a project dies and nobody fills out the death certificate. Or a person or department is struggling. A list that feels “too long” may not be an objective problem in and of itself, but a perception of one or more other issues.
Listened to one of the webinars recently and heard Meg Edwards talking about how going through lists quickly. If the list has >80 waiting fors this seems to take too long.

Logan

Registered
I'm reading this and thinking, when do I want to see the waiting for's?

Grouping them by follow-up context might be helpful If you meet with a group on a particular topic on a regular basis, it might be helpful to cover that together. Knowing the meeting frequency, you know how many you have to handle outside of that context.

When I managed projects, I had waiting for's by project. They were covered in the project meetings mostly.

A long waiting for list sounds as if it is not precipitating the actions and follow-up that you desire.
The key thing motivating my to alter my system: where do I want to see it next and what will precipitate me looking there at the appropriate place and/or time.

Enjoy the day,
Clayton

Do not do unto others that which you do not want done to you. - Confucius
I thought about that the other way around. If it‘s good practice to look at this list several times a day, I wonder how quick must I be doing that.

Logan

Registered
I like keeping my waiting for "within" the project itself vs a standalone list. This way if I want to look at X project to see how I can move it forward I am also looking at what I am waiting for on that project. That helps me keep them within context. And manageable length.
In most cases I look inside the project when doing a review. Usually, during that time (end of day, weekend) I tend to not start acting on them. Because of this, I prefer my waiting for list during the day.

Logan

Registered
Yeah, at the time I was still at the office. I was sitting in meetings discussing actions an often wondered: Why does she/he not write that down? If it would be me I would forget that.
It‘s not so much not to trust people, but to show them I care about agreements we‘ve made.

Logan

Registered
Area of focus is actually a good idea. I have a few candidates with a few more waiting for items. Sorry, I‘ve overread that in the brackets reading your suggestions the first time.

Logan

Registered
Cannot echo this enough. I cannot say I follow it to this level. Although I wish I did as I needed to order wipes for my son and Amazon did let me down and I just "assumed" it had showed up. Hence the 9:30 PM target run the other night lol.

But I have to delegate a lot of my work and I also have to review and approve a lot of things prepared by others. Since I am the last in the chain at work, (executive role), if I do not track it and people run late.... Well that means I am doing it off hours or rushed. So my waiting list is typically pretty long.

I also suffer from a HORRIBLE memory. But, everyone in my office always wonders how I am so on top of EVERYTHING and constantly know where everything is and when it is due.... Well, that is the beauty of that waiting for list. It is my secret sauce.

That is why I mentioned the area of focus. I dont think the idea is to shorten it to the OP but to better manage it in spaces that make sense based on your priorities
I agree filter by area of focus seems to be the way to go. Thank you for your reply.

mcogilvie

Registered
Listened to one of the webinars recently and heard Meg Edwards talking about how going through lists quickly. If the list has >80 waiting fors this seems to take too long.
Yes, but why are your lists so long? Who or what is causing your list to be so long?

Ger80C

Registered
Split it up in lists for certain areas of responsibilities? I‘d never move them to someday/maybe, because usually they are just slowing me down anyway.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Simple answer, part one: Waiting Fors are no binding committments (on your end). The list cannot be too long. At least I never have a problem with that.

Simple answer, part two: Split it up as often as you want, slice it, dice it, put it in several media/forms (eg books -> Amazon wishlist) - or not. Whatever works for you is "right".

Last edited:

dtj

Registered
If your waiting-for's list gets too long, you might have to refine what they mean and how they serve you. It's making a whole bunch of aspirational tasks that just junk up your list and inhibit flow. It's like when David says "What does done look like?". You will need to ask "When do I stop waiting for it?" in order to mulch and fertilize them properly.

mcogilvie

Registered
If your waiting-for's list gets too long, you might have to refine what they mean and how they serve you. It's making a whole bunch of aspirational tasks that just junk up your list and inhibit flow. It's like when David says "What does done look like?". You will need to ask "When do I stop waiting for it?" in order to mulch and fertilize them properly.
Great answer. This is really the key operational question: “When do I stop waiting for something?” And of course this is followed by: “What’s the next action?” Sooner or later, you probably will understand why your list is the length it is as well.

larea

Registered
For me the waiting for list is the one with absolutely no stress because handling it is so easy. I read through it and there are only a few choices to consider for each item - 1) I received this, mark it off, 2) I received this, mark it off and add a new action I can do now that I have it, 3) I didn’t receive this but it’s fine to keep waiting, or 4) This is overdue and I need to change it to an action item. (I suppose you could also say 5) I give up and delete it.) None of these take long at all. I wonder if there is an issue with not having enough information so that the items are not clear. Lists are stressful if you have to figure out what things mean. I would work on adding any information needed to clarify what it is you are waiting for and also any reminder needed about what you were going to do when you got it. Examples - if information requested via an email note the date you requested it so you can find the email to follow up, add a comment like “waiting on x, need to set up task to do y when received.” Finally, don’t add things to waiting for unless there is a clear action you intend to take if it isn’t received. If it isn’t something you would need to follow up on if it doesn’t happen, it doesn’t need to be there. If you have long lead items and just get tired of seeing them so many times, you might make a separate list for those and don’t read it as often - ie Waiting for this month, waiting for longer term lists. Then when time gets closer move it to the more immediate list.