Considering Switching to Nirvana from FacileThings, Thoughts?

mcogilvie

Registered
I consider Split View an iPad UI design error not worth the development time. @mcogilvie
I don’t use split screen all that often myself, but sometimes it is an efficient way to get information from one app to another. Share sheets are another, as are data detectors. I use all three. There’s other stuff Apple put into iPadOS that I have no idea how to use. What does three fingers dragged diagonally across the screen do?. No clue.

bcmyers2112

Registered
I switched from Evernote to Nirvana for my GTD lists some months ago but I'm thinking of jumping ship. It's gotten to the point where I dread using the tool and it's causing me to avoid engaging with my system.

On the one hand, if you're looking for software with a faithful GTD implementation, Nirvana is about as close as you can get. Right out of the box, Nirvana is compliant with GTD principles. So there is that.

On the other hand, I find Nirvana's interface maddeningly clunky. For example, I like to name projects to reflect the desired outcome. So if my toilet breaks and I'm going to tackle that myself, I might name the project "fix toilet" or "repair toilet." But let's say I enter an action that I want to add to the project. The only way to do it is to select the project from a pick list using the mouse. What if I can't remember whether I named the project "fix" the toilet or "repair" the toilet? Then I have to scroll through the list to find it.

If you capture an action and then realize as you're doing so that it's really a project, there is also no way to create a project from within the next action creation window. So that's another problem for me.

There's also no easy way to create a next action from an item you've added to the inbox. And any item you add to Someday/Maybe is treated as a one-off action; if you want to add a someday/maybe *project* you have to do that from the projects list. I'd rather have Someday/Maybe be a catch-all list of items that can be promoted to next actions or projects as I see fit.

The only way to add items to the inbox in Nirvana are manually or via email. I use Siri pretty heavily, but Nirvana doesn't integrate with Siri. I also have an Apple Watch, but Nirvana has no Apple Watch app. So I can't take advantage of these tools with Nirvana.

Oh, and in the mobile app if I want to view all of my next actions tagged "errands" I have to either use the left-hand menu to scroll to the errands tag -- going past all of my contacts and other tags (waiting fors have to be tagged with a contact in Nirvana) -- or I have to use filters which takes SEVEN TAPS. That's right. SEVEN. That's NUTS.

Finally, the UI isn't very easy on my eyes and I find it sometimes difficult to read. Yes, I'm a nearly-50-year-old guy with invisible bifocals, but my vision is 20-20 with my glasses. :)

I'm looking at Nozbe and Todoist as alternatives with a strong leaning right now towards Nozbe. Both require some workarounds for GTD but they address all the other issues. For example, both allow the creation of a project from within the new task window, and you can also attach a task to a project by typing a keyword to perform an automated search of the project list.

In fairness to the developers of Nirvana, it sounds like they have a small team and they're doing the best they can with the resources they have. And the GTD crowd is kind of a niche market.

Now some people may read this and think, "Gee, none of those things that are problems for him would be issues for me! And software that has a near-perfect GTD implementation sounds pretty good." Well, then, Nirvana might be just right for you. It's certainly a viable option. I don't like it personally but YMMV.

bcmyers2112

Registered
Oh, one other thing: if you set up a recurring task in Nirvana, it creates a new task whether you completed the prior one or not. Not every recurring task has a hard due date in my life. So that's another thing that drives me nuts and a flaw I don't usually see present in other solutions.

Lopatamd

Registered
Do you know or teasing me on that :) lol They post nothing, share nothing, and do nothing update wise so it is so frustrating. I asked them in November they said its coming.... Now it is March and its coming....

I wish they would post something.... It seems like such a strong tool with some added features it would be a home run.

dude what are you talking about.... they are posting

Lopatamd

Registered
On the other hand, I find Nirvana's interface maddeningly clunky. For example, I like to name projects to reflect the desired outcome. So if my toilet breaks and I'm going to tackle that myself, I might name the project "fix toilet" or "repair toilet." But let's say I enter an action that I want to add to the project. The only way to do it is to select the project from a pick list using the mouse. What if I can't remember whether I named the project "fix" the toilet or "repair" the toilet? Then I have to scroll through the list to find it.

What's so difficult about drag and dropping an action to the Project on the left bar? that's one of the cool features..

If you capture an action and then realize as you're doing so that it's really a project, there is also no way to create a project from within the next action creation window. So that's another problem for me.

sorry, you're doing it wrong. You don't create stuff in 'Next Actions' but you create the stuff first in your INBOX.
Then when you process them just DRAG and DROP it to the ProjectList and it will be created as a project.
Then inside it you can create more actions for that project...

There's also no easy way to create a next action from an item you've added to the inbox. And any item you add to Someday/Maybe is treated as a one-off action; if you want to add a someday/maybe *project* you have to do that from the projects list. I'd rather have Someday/Maybe be a catch-all list of items that can be promoted to next actions or projects as I see fit.
you can do all of that stuff by using Drag and Drop.. if you have something in your 'Someday' List, just drag it to ProjectList and it will be created as a Project...

The only way to add items to the inbox in Nirvana are manually or via email. I use Siri pretty heavily, but Nirvana doesn't integrate with Siri. I also have an Apple Watch, but Nirvana has no Apple Watch app. So I can't take advantage of these tools with Nirvana.
no, but you can the other tools as CAPTURING only and then using Nirvana to process them.
Basically you can capture stuff on your iphone list or whatever and then later during the day instead of 'copying' that captured stuff to the Nirvana Inbox, you just process them so you can straight add them to the Scheduled List or create a project for that or putting them in SomedayList.

Oh, and in the mobile app if I want to view all of my next actions tagged "errands" I have to either use the left-hand menu to scroll to the errands tag -- going past all of my contacts and other tags (waiting fors have to be tagged with a contact in Nirvana) -- or I have to use filters which takes SEVEN TAPS. That's right. SEVEN. That's NUTS.

hm on android app, in the NextActions page we can select the 'tags' ..so maybe thats a problem of the iphone app ;P

Finally, the UI isn't very easy on my eyes and I find it sometimes difficult to read. Yes, I'm a nearly-50-year-old guy with invisible bifocals, but my vision is 20-20 with my glasses. :)

they have DarkMode on the desltop app.. you should check it out. it's amazing ;)

OF user

Registered
When Nirvana was first introduced years ago, I thought it was a clone of Things (I think Things 1 was still the current version). It seemed like they were Things for non-MAC users. They only had the web version back then and they were free and in Beta a very long time. Look at where Things has gone and where Nirvana still is. I say that acknowledging that Cultured Code is very deliberate with their updates as well. Nirvana is clunky, they don't communicate well, and they seem to take a long time to introduce updates and features. They have a good platform to build on and one that is rather simple to use. Unfortunately, I am committed to cloud storage, and a subscription service where i basically do not have control over my experience because I committed to blocks of time regardless of the updates. Plus I am generally paying for time upfront. It is a program that just lacks what i am looking for in GTD software.

Mateusz

Registered
I switched from Evernote to Nirvana for my GTD lists some months ago but I'm thinking of jumping ship. It's gotten to the point where I dread using the tool and it's causing me to avoid engaging with my system.

On the one hand, if you're looking for software with a faithful GTD implementation, Nirvana is about as close as you can get. Right out of the box, Nirvana is compliant with GTD principles. So there is that.

I'm looking at Nozbe and Todoist as alternatives with a strong leaning right now towards Nozbe. Both require some workarounds for GTD but they address all the other issues. For example, both allow the creation of a project from within the new task window, and you can also attach a task to a project by typing a keyword to perform an automated search of the project list.

In fairness to the developers of Nirvana, it sounds like they have a small team and they're doing the best they can with the resources they have. And the GTD crowd is kind of a niche market.

Now some people may read this and think, "Gee, none of those things that are problems for him would be issues for me! And software that has a near-perfect GTD implementation sounds pretty good." Well, then, Nirvana might be just right for you. It's certainly a viable option. I don't like it personally but YMMV.
At some points, I have very similar feelings. That's why I strongly support Everdo project. It has all the good things that Nirvana has and great roadmap.

mcogilvie

Registered
When Nirvana was first introduced years ago, I thought it was a clone of Things (I think Things 1 was still the current version). It seemed like they were Things for non-MAC users. They only had the web version back then and they were free and in Beta a very long time. Look at where Things has gone and where Nirvana still is. I say that acknowledging that Cultured Code is very deliberate with their updates as well.
If you look at the version history of Things 3, you see that they are up to 3.12, with new features coming about every 3 months. Sinice the initial release of Things 3, they have been remarkably disciplined and productive In their development. I have been running their betas on all four platforms for years now with very few problems. The new features aren’t always flashy, but always solid and thoughtful.

mcogilvie

Registered

I’m with you on this one. Nirvana is conceptually good but it is clunky. When it come to UI, it Is wonderful when actions that make sense to us just work, and a little painful when we have to think more about how to do something than what we are doing and why.

bcmyers2112

Registered
I’m with you on this one. Nirvana is conceptually good but it is clunky. When it come to UI, it Is wonderful when actions that make sense to us just work, and a little painful when we have to think more about how to do something than what we are doing and why.

Moreover, a subscription price of $5.05 per month (for a monthly commitment) is in my estimation a little too much to pay for software that leaves so much to be desired.

JMartinez

Registered
Hello @ivanjay205

Certainly the Nirvana team has been offline for quite some time.
However, as I mentioned in another forum discussion, it is a small team that combines the development of Nirvana with the work of their Marketing and Web Design agency in Montreal (People Like Us)

I'm seeing a lot of comments about Nirvana taking a long time to implement improvements, new developments or updates.

Until not so long ago, that's true. They are slow but... for me the most important thing is that they are extremely reliable.

The Nirvana application (Web, IOS, or Android) has never failed me and I'm a user since 2012, and a heavy user since 2015.

Some time ago they took out the beta of the desktop applications, that everything and that are beta, they are the ones that I use in my day to day in my work and personal life and they have not failed me or given me problems ever.

Honestly, guys... they've got their act together and they're working hard.
Just visit the update page on their website https://help.nirvanahq.com/updates/

3 Updates in the month of March 2020
2 Updates in the month of February 2020
1 Update in October 2019
1 Update in July 2019
1 Update in June 2019

On the other hand, it is being commented that Nirvana has no integrations.

You know that those initiated in the methodology are recommended to start on paper, right? What integration does the paper have? None.

On another note... A Certified Trainer from Spain asked me one day, "Where do you keep your calendar list?" ... until then I had a big problem, because I put actions with an expiration date in the calendar (outlook) and actions with an expiration date in nirvana.

It really doesn't matter where you have your calendar list, whether it's in outlook, gcalendar or nirvana, but it only has to be in one place. You can't have things here and there.

solution!!! I transferred all my events, appointments, reminders, recurring, birthdays, anniversaries to the Nirvana calendar.

I manage all my calendar directly in Nirvana, and I'm delighted!!! is the best decision I've made regarding GTD in a long time.

The integrations in many cases only bring noise and slow down the synchronization.

Nirvana allows to attach links, for me that's enough. With links I can access whatever support material is needed.

JMartinez

Registered
What's so difficult about drag and dropping an action to the Project on the left bar? that's one of the cool features..

sorry, you're doing it wrong. You don't create stuff in 'Next Actions' but you create the stuff first in your INBOX.
Then when you process them just DRAG and DROP it to the ProjectList and it will be created as a project.
Then inside it you can create more actions for that project...

you can do all of that stuff by using Drag and Drop.. if you have something in your 'Someday' List, just drag it to ProjectList and it will be created as a Project...

no, but you can the other tools as CAPTURING only and then using Nirvana to process them.
Basically you can capture stuff on your iphone list or whatever and then later during the day instead of 'copying' that captured stuff to the Nirvana Inbox, you just process them so you can straight add them to the Scheduled List or create a project for that or putting them in SomedayList.

hm on android app, in the NextActions page we can select the 'tags' ..so maybe thats a problem of the iphone app ;P

they have DarkMode on the desltop app.. you should check it out. it's amazing ;)
Really, with drag and drop, @bcmyers2112 you can solve some of these problems

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Hello @ivanjay205

Certainly the Nirvana team has been offline for quite some time.
However, as I mentioned in another forum discussion, it is a small team that combines the development of Nirvana with the work of their Marketing and Web Design agency in Montreal (People Like Us)

I'm seeing a lot of comments about Nirvana taking a long time to implement improvements, new developments or updates.

Until not so long ago, that's true. They are slow but... for me the most important thing is that they are extremely reliable.

The Nirvana application (Web, IOS, or Android) has never failed me and I'm a user since 2012, and a heavy user since 2015.

Some time ago they took out the beta of the desktop applications, that everything and that are beta, they are the ones that I use in my day to day in my work and personal life and they have not failed me or given me problems ever.

Honestly, guys... they've got their act together and they're working hard.
Just visit the update page on their website https://help.nirvanahq.com/updates/

3 Updates in the month of March 2020
2 Updates in the month of February 2020
1 Update in October 2019
1 Update in July 2019
1 Update in June 2019

You know that those initiated in the methodology are recommended to start on paper, right? What integration does the paper have? None.

On another note... A Certified Trainer from Spain asked me one day, "Where do you keep your calendar list?" ... until then I had a big problem, because I put actions with an expiration date in the calendar (outlook) and actions with an expiration date in nirvana.

It really doesn't matter where you have your calendar list, whether it's in outlook, gcalendar or nirvana, but it only has to be in one place. You can't have things here and there.

solution!!! I transferred all my events, appointments, reminders, recurring, birthdays, anniversaries to the Nirvana calendar.

I manage all my calendar directly in Nirvana, and I'm delighted!!! is the best decision I've made regarding GTD in a long time.

The integrations in many cases only bring noise and slow down the synchronization.

Nirvana allows to attach links, for me that's enough. With links I can access whatever support material is needed.
Yes! I have been using Nirvana for many years now and I will stay. It is my trusted system and is lightening fast AND reliable. Cheers!

TesTeq

Registered

Funny! In Poland we integrate paper with every piece of software using a scanner or a smartphone camera (+optional OCR) and a printer. :cool:

bcmyers2112

Registered
You know that those initiated in the methodology are recommended to start on paper, right?

Actually, whenever I've heard employees of David Allen Company give advice about how to choose a list manager they've given suggestions for how to choose paper vs. digital. I haven't heard that "start on paper" is the best practice, merely that paper is a viable option. @John Forrister, am I off base here?

mcogilvie

Registered
Actually, whenever I've heard employees of David Allen Company give advice about how to choose a list manager they've given suggestions for how to choose paper vs. digital. I haven't heard that "start on paper" is the best practice, merely that paper is a viable option. @John Forrister, am I off base here?
I certainly can't speak for John or for David Allen, but I have many times heard Kelly or other coaches talk about how to handle an existing list tool when learning GTD or what to do if you want to move into a new tool at the same time. It's usually said that if there are no other important considerations, paper is a good way to begin, but may not be your final list tool. I have never heard anyone suggest abandoning a digital calendar (which works for most people who use one) in favor of paper.

Ariadne Marques

Registered
I just wanted to share my thoughts on switching to Nirvana HQ.

I probably spent a year in the following cycle: trying Nirvana, loving it, using it for a while, then looking at "shinier" apps, switching to Trello then Todoist, moving back and forth, then deciding I would stick with Nirvana.

The one thing that made me fall in love with Nirvana at first sight was the global filter. That is brilliant and I had never seen it working so seamlessly in other apps. The second thing was the implementation itself: it is pure GTD. After I saw Nirvana I wanted to have the same experience while using Todoist, for example. I enjoyed adding emojis to my projects and tags, getting a little elephant icon whenever I linked a note from Evernote, changing projects colors, calendar integration, etc. And I knew that was only possible if I used Todoist (or some other similar app). But, during my quest to try to make Todoist behave like Nirvana, I just got frustrated. I tried hard! But it never ended up as simple and elegant as Nirvana HQ.

So after I realized I was spending too much time tinkering with an app trying to make it become something else, I looked back at Nirvana and listed all the things I would miss if I did the switch. I understood that all those bells and whistles were not an essential part of my GTD system. So I went back to Nirvana and moved everything I had in Todoist to it. This is a screenshot that shows the same projects on both apps after I did the move:

Todosit vs Nirvana HQ_work April 4 2020 annotated.PNG

This image compares the Projects view (Work AoF). You can see that my Todoist was all colorful and beautiful, but I had a lot of different filters to try to emulate Nirvana's global filter, and I got maybe too excited about creating contexts and putting them all in my favorites list.

What I like about Nirvana is that I can see at a glance the full picture: my active projects, what is inactive, what is in "someday/maybe" (I use the "Later" option in Nirvana to park incubated projects). And it's super easy so go through the Next, Later and Waiting lists for each of my Areas of Focus (I use Work and Personal).

Seriously, classifying my projects between "Active" and "Inactive" has been a power struggle for me for years! I could never get it right! I realized I need it to be clear and in front of me: the way Nirvana does.

Nirvana organizes the information better and that works pretty well with my agitated brain. Also, I have a clear understanding now of the hard edges between my Calendar and my to-do list. I confess that with Todoist, given the focus it has on dates, I was "blurring" my calendar with my next actions and it was getting rather messy!

So, it's true Nirvana HQ lacks some hot exciting features, but it's all about having the essentials and getting rid of the superfluous.

JMartinez

Registered
I just wanted to share my thoughts on switching to Nirvana HQ.

I probably spent a year in the following cycle: trying Nirvana, loving it, using it for a while, then looking at "shinier" apps, switching to Trello then Todoist, moving back and forth, then deciding I would stick with Nirvana.

The one thing that made me fall in love with Nirvana at first sight was the global filter. That is brilliant and I had never seen it working so seamlessly in other apps. The second thing was the implementation itself: it is pure GTD. After I saw Nirvana I wanted to have the same experience while using Todoist, for example. I enjoyed adding emojis to my projects and tags, getting a little elephant icon whenever I linked a note from Evernote, changing projects colors, calendar integration, etc. And I knew that was only possible if I used Todoist (or some other similar app). But, during my quest to try to make Todoist behave like Nirvana, I just got frustrated. I tried hard! But it never ended up as simple and elegant as Nirvana HQ.

So after I realized I was spending too much time tinkering with an app trying to make it become something else, I looked back at Nirvana and listed all the things I would miss if I did the switch. I understood that all those bells and whistles were not an essential part of my GTD system. So I went back to Nirvana and moved everything I had in Todoist to it. This is a screenshot that shows the same projects on both apps after I did the move:

View attachment 681

This image compares the Projects view (Work AoF). You can see that my Todoist was all colorful and beautiful, but I had a lot of different filters to try to emulate Nirvana's global filter, and I got maybe too excited about creating contexts and putting them all in my favorites list.

What I like about Nirvana is that I can see at a glance the full picture: my active projects, what is inactive, what is in "someday/maybe" (I use the "Later" option in Nirvana to park incubated projects). And it's super easy so go through the Next, Later and Waiting lists for each of my Areas of Focus (I use Work and Personal).

Seriously, classifying my projects between "Active" and "Inactive" has been a power struggle for me for years! I could never get it right! I realized I need it to be clear and in front of me: the way Nirvana does.

Nirvana organizes the information better and that works pretty well with my agitated brain. Also, I have a clear understanding now of the hard edges between my Calendar and my to-do list. I confess that with Todoist, given the focus it has on dates, I was "blurring" my calendar with my next actions and it was getting rather messy!

So, it's true Nirvana HQ lacks some hot exciting features, but it's all about having the essentials and getting rid of the superfluous.

Hello again @Ariadne Marques Nice to see you again here.

Hello.
Oh my good !!!
Seeing Todoist with so many colors, I feel like when I'm at a concert with 2,000 other people and I want to find my friend... it's hard for me to concentrate.

If you really want to have a bird's eye view in nirvana seeing all the content categorized according to the list in which it is stored, in the central panel, ... just follow these steps and enjoy what I call "The Hawk's eye"

1. Select an area of responsibility (you can do the same by selecting "All" but a lot of information will be displayed

2. Scroll on the sidebar to the label section.

3. Select the first "All" label

Look at the central part of the screen and see how all the content is organized by lists, including active, inactive and reference lists.

This is only a small example with one of my Areas of Responsability
Captura de pantalla 2020-04-06 a las 22.11.10.png

By the way.
I came to that conclusion in the year 2015. The feature that I was trying to replicate in the other task managers was "Focus" but the magic of "Focus" in Nirvana is that it is practically unattended. Just set a start date, expiration date, or both and it will appear only in Focus.

In the other tools the management and replication of a "Focus" was totally manual.

Nirvana for me is by far the best.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2020-04-06 a las 22.09.43.png
    Captura de pantalla 2020-04-06 a las 22.09.43.png
    168 KB · Views: 26

Ariadne Marques

Registered
Thank you again @JMartinez !!

I see what you mean, this is brilliant! Just tried it and I feel I'm on the top of (my) world now!
Everything listed in such an orderly manner: Inbox, Next, Later, Waiting, Scheduled, Someday, Projects, Reference. Projects in blue are active, Inactive projects are grey! Awesome for weekly reviews! :)

I forgot to mention: yes, the "Focus" was the third reason I loved Nirvana! I tried to do that with my "Highlight Today" filter on Todoist, but it was too manual (I was using the priority flags to filter them... it was not easy and clean as Nirvana).

And, yes, my Todoist was maybe way too colorful and it was hard to focus. Sometimes I would be distracted by choosing (again) a better emoji to one list or another...

I have a question about Someday/Maybe lists on Nirvana. How do you handle the type of lists like: "Places to visit" or "Courses to take"? Do you create a Project called "Places to visit" and then one action for each item? Or an Action called "Places to Visit" and just leave the list in the notes?
I'm just asking because the "Places to Visit" list is just a bunch of ideas, it's not something I would be looking at every week, for example.