Digital Tickler Setup

gtdstudente

Registered
I suppose that’s an argument for bigger phone screens or smaller fonts (which Things can do). I find my phone is my least -used device, because the iPad is so much more spacious, and the Apple Watch is so handy. I know I’m fortunate to have so many options. I’ve tried Apple Reminders formatting on all devices, and I don’t like it as much as markdown.
@mcogilvie,

S P A C E, S P A C E, S P A C E . . . Intrinsically and Extrinsically :)

Lucas W.

Registered
@alex143 and all other fellow GTDers,

Bewildered on this end . . . why a Digital Tickler in addition to a Digital Calendar?

What can Digital Tickler do that a Digital Calendar is unable to do?

Thank you very much

Personally I prefer Digital Tickler list than a calendar – please check my below remarks:

• You may find it a little messy when you aggregate tickler items, day-specific actions and day-specific information all as the calendar all-day events.
  • You may find it more handy to review tickler items as a list - especially if you want to make some changes.
  • It is easier to miss or skip a tickler item when you put in the calendar. You will rather not miss anything when you keep it on the list - overdue items will be visible on top of your list.
  • List tickler items are hidden and “appear” when the times come – and it is closer to original idea of 43 folders and “clearing” your view and your head.
In the other hand most of popular tools like Microsoft To Do or Todoist do not offer separate start dates and due dates – and in my opinion in such a situation it is better to keep tickler items in the calendar and due date items in the list manager.

You can make a very good implementation of the tickler file in the Outlook Tasks (but it is complicated to set). Quite good implementation of tickler file you can also find in Nirvana – but there is a little trap – there is one and the same list for tickler and for “focus” items (I think it is better to use it only for one purpose, not for both). Also FacileThings solved it quite well – you can see tickler items as a list and at the same time in your calendar and you can also quickly hide tickler items in your calendar.

gtdstudente

Registered
Personally I prefer Digital Tickler list than a calendar – please check my below remarks:

• You may find it a little messy when you aggregate tickler items, day-specific actions and day-specific information all as the calendar all-day events.
  • You may find it more handy to review tickler items as a list - especially if you want to make some changes.
  • It is easier to miss or skip a tickler item when you put in the calendar. You will rather not miss anything when you keep it on the list - overdue items will be visible on top of your list.
  • List tickler items are hidden and “appear” when the times come – and it is closer to original idea of 43 folders and “clearing” your view and your head.
In the other hand most of popular tools like Microsoft To Do or Todoist do not offer separate start dates and due dates – and in my opinion in such a situation it is better to keep tickler items in the calendar and due date items in the list manager.

You can make a very good implementation of the tickler file in the Outlook Tasks (but it is complicated to set). Quite good implementation of tickler file you can also find in Nirvana – but there is a little trap – there is one and the same list for tickler and for “focus” items (I think it is better to use it only for one purpose, not for both). Also FacileThings solved it quite well – you can see tickler items as a list and at the same time in your calendar and you can also quickly hide tickler items in your calendar.
@alex143, @mcogilvie, @cfoley, @Lucas W., et al.,

This post had me realize I actually do use an indispensable digital 3x4 Table Monthly Tickler 'Dashboard' for added 'Breathing Space' for "Coming Attractions [Obligations]"

Thank you very much