GTD App Replacement for To-Do-Matrix

Harry Caruso

Registered
I have been a strict GTD believer and follower for the past 7 years. Back when I had a blackberry, I had To-Do-Matrix (produced by RexWireless) and it was still to this day the best GTD app I have ever used. Unfortunately they do not have an android app and they seem to have by and large stopped supporting the app.

I have been using DoIt.Im for the last few years but am still in search for a better app and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts. The main capabilities and features (above and beyond basic and standard GTD functionality and organization) which I am looking for and unable to find in one single app are the following:

- Ability to move projects from "Projects" to "Waiting for" overarching folders (or ability to do this by setting status of projects)
- Ability to make Projects with subfolders with tasks within each subfolder
- Easy and fast way to add items to inbox from mobile device
- Usable and user-friendly desktop UI

Any help or thoughts would be beyond appreciated.

@Newbie

Registered
This probably should be in the other forum "tools an software for GTD". On topic, having read a few posts on said forum, you will likely notice that finding the perfect app tends to be very personal, and changes over time for people. For example i am very much into using trello for each and everything atm, while i know that quite a few folks regard trello as a too simple system to incorporate all of GTD. At the moment i disagree. Over time it is very realistic that I might change my mind if the next great thing comes along.

Gardener

Registered
You didn't mention a platform. Windows or Mac? If Mac, I'd suggest OmniFocus.

Edited to add: Oh. Android. I missed that you had a mobile platform. OK, also not an option for OmniFocus.

Jim Talkington

Registered
I was in a similar situation. I found a program called Chaos Control. It works on Android, Mac. IOS, Web, and has a windows desktop app for windows 10. When you buy the pro version, $24 it has a background sync for all your devices. The app is built completely around the GTD method with context, projects, next actions, etc. It is working very well for me and it doesn't break the bank. Here is a link to their site. http://chaos-control.mobi/en/

I am in no way connected to them. I just want to share that there is finally an app designed specifically for GTD.

JamesT

Registered
Hi Harry;

You might want to check out GTDNext (http://GTDNext.com) it seems to hit all of your requirements.

Notes on your requirements:
- Ability to move projects from "Projects" to "Waiting for" overarching folders (or ability to do this by setting status of projects)
---- You can mark any Project or Task as "Waiting" and then review it on your "waiting" list.
--- GTDNext gives you the ability to have as many sub-projects (or subfolders) as you want. Really, as many as you want.
--- Most of our users email tasks directly to their inbox. Or use an app like Braintoss or DO by IFTT to send tasks to your GTDNext inbox with 1 button touch.
---Our main interface is web based and we just updated our UI this week!

Full Disclosure. I am the co-founder of GTDNext. Please let me know if I can answer any questions.

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Hi Harry;

You might want to check out GTDNext (http://GTDNext.com) it seems to hit all of your requirements.

Notes on your requirements:
---- You can mark any Project or Task as "Waiting" and then review it on your "waiting" list.
--- GTDNext gives you the ability to have as many sub-projects (or subfolders) as you want. Really, as many as you want.
--- Most of our users email tasks directly to their inbox. Or use an app like Braintoss or DO by IFTT to send tasks to your GTDNext inbox with 1 button touch.
---Our main interface is web based and we just updated our UI this week!

Full Disclosure. I am the co-founder of GTDNext. Please let me know if I can answer any questions.
Hi James,

I am going to take another look at GTDNext. I like the new web app look! May I ask how close your team is coming with an iOS app?

PDG_61

Registered
I have been a strict GTD believer and follower for the past 7 years. Back when I had a blackberry, I had To-Do-Matrix (produced by RexWireless) and it was still to this day the best GTD app I have ever used. Unfortunately they do not have an android app and they seem to have by and large stopped supporting the app.

I have been using DoIt.Im for the last few years but am still in search for a better app and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts. The main capabilities and features (above and beyond basic and standard GTD functionality and organization) which I am looking for and unable to find in one single app are the following:

Any help or thoughts would be beyond appreciated.
Like you I relied on TODOMatrix for many years on a Blackberry and than an iPhone but had to give up when their technical support stopped. I unsuccessfully tried a few apps but then found TickTick Pro which is brilliant. It is beautifully designed and I recommend it as a great replacement. I hope you like it

Andy H

Registered
I still feel quite nostalgic for ToDoMatrix.

I now use https://www.2doapp.com/ on Android. Everything else I have tried feels like a toy in comparison.

It syncs with an excellent Mac app (and many other options) and iOS. It does everything todomatrix did and more, but without the strict GTD ethos. Importantly it is still growing.