GTD with Apple Reminders

Folks

Registered
After having used in the past years different software systems for GTD like Things, Asana, Omnifocus and some more I have now come to Apple’s (new) Reminders - the reason: keep it simple. The software has furthermore been improved a lot.

As Reminders now allows me to create Groups I use them for:
  • Agenda (people)
  • Projects (all my current projects)
  • Reading List (articles, audio, video)
  • Shopping (different stores I go to)
  • Someday (Someday Tasks plus Someday Projects)
Apart from this I have the following lists:
  • INBOX
  • Next Actions
  • Scheduled
  • Waiting For
My Project Material and my Reference Material is in iCloud and in Apple Notes.

The whole system is super fast, reliable, trustworthy, cheap and SIMPLE.

thomasbk

Registered
I love WorkFlowy and have used that for my system for years. But I've been increasingly using Reminders for time and location action items. Last week I decided to migrate all my lists to Reminders to test it out as a Workflowy replacement. It's too soon to reach a verdict and I miss WorkFlowy's elegance, but I'm deep in the Apple ecosystem so I'll likely stick with it. It's becoming handy to just tell Siri to add items to specific lists.

TesTeq

Registered
As Reminders now allows me to create Groups
Thank you. I didn't know about this feature. Unfortunately it only works when you enable iCloud which seems to be a dumb idea of some Apple software designer. There's no reason to make this feature available only when iCloud is on.

thomasbk

Registered
Thank you. I didn't know about this feature. Unfortunately it only works when you enable iCloud which seems to be a dumb idea of some Apple software designer. There's no reason to make this feature available only when iCloud is on.
Between backups and device syncing, I suppose Apple expects/wants everyone to use iCloud. Part of that is undoubtedly the revenue stream that comes from storage subscriptions.

RS356

Practicing GTD since 2005
Thanks for sharing, and I’m glad you‘ve found a simple system that works for you. One of my favorite features of Reminders is the ability to sync to both iCloud and Exchange concurrently, addressing cross-platform needs between Mac and Windows. As my world becomes more complex, I’ve found that simpler GTD tools handle it best.

mbusillo

Registered
Thanks for sharing, and I’m glad you‘ve found a simple system that works for you. One of my favorite features of Reminders is the ability to sync to both iCloud and Exchange concurrently, addressing cross-platform needs between Mac and Windows. As my world becomes more complex, I’ve found that simpler GTD tools handle it best.
That's a great point. I love Things 3 and am in the Apple eco-system at home, but working from my work-issued PC most of the day.

Agreed that simpler tools keep me from getting into 'features mischief.'