Is Nirvana GTD app going to close?

Having tried the whole To-Do, Outlook, OneNote world and integration, I have gone back to Nirvana. There is something for me in how well designed Nirvana is for GTD, whereas with other systems it feels like I am having to make too many changes and adjustments. Muscle memory with Nirvana is just too strong for me

From my perspective – the need to use both project lists and labels in Todoist was confusing and from time to time I did mistakes during the organizing process – so I did not feel comfortable with my system and taking care of it was more engaging than it should be.
You don't have to use both projects and labels in Todoist. The GTD Setup Guide for Todoist shows you how to use projects as context lists, if that's your preference. If you don't care about linking NAs to projects, that's a good option.

I used labels for contexts so I could link NAs to projects, and I didn't find it confusing or burdensome. I actually found it easier than Nirvana, where you have to scroll through a pick list to select a project. That's not a criticism of you. I'm just adding my own opinion.

I lost my enthusiasm in a day or so because I was tinkering with the filters to set up my contexts and it just feels too cumbersome.
When I used Todoist I set up my contexts with labels. I never bothered with the filters. There are a lot of features in Todoist I don't see a use for, but I found them easy to ignore. Whereas some stuff I've tried has features I find unnecessary that get in the way.
It just feels too much maintenance for the system I envision (and that I already have with Nirvana).
Yeah, it's easier to just use Nirvana than bend something else into being Nirvana-like.

Last edited:
Yes, that's what usually happens with me. It just feels too much maintenance for the system I envision (and that I already have with Nirvana). I think Todoist is great if you get the hang of setting up the projects/filters. Or having a simpler setup.
One reason I always look at Todoist is because of the global capture shortcut on desktop and quick natural language processing. The funny thing is that I've tried it multiple times hoping it would work and it never sticks with me. It's a lesson I never learn :) .

Nirvana is still my go-to tool, mainly because I've used it the most and during a longer period overall.

Yes, I saw on Noisy Deadlines;) But I think it is good that you have a written record now - so you can back to it when needed.

Nirvana is heavily adapted to GTD – and this is my biggest concern – I just mean that it is difficult to replace when you use it.

You don't have to use both projects and labels in Todoist. The GTD Setup Guide for Todoist shows you how to use projects as context lists, if that's your preference. If you don't care about linking NAs to projects, that's a good option.

I used labels for contexts so I could link NAs to projects, and I didn't find it confusing or burdensome. I actually found it easier than Nirvana, where you have to scroll through a pick list to select a project. That's not a criticism of you. I'm just adding my own opinion.

Yes, I have tested few setups over a time – including both from the official setup guide. What works for me best was to use the project’s section for all of my lists and labels as a short project tag for linking the items on those lists.

All of those setups have their pluses and minuses but what brings me to Todoist is quick capture tool – really helpful to capture, clarify and organize in one go.

Yes, I have tested few setups over a time – including both from the official setup guide. What works for me best was to use the project’s section for all of my lists and labels as a short project tag for linking the items on those lists.

All of those setups have their pluses and minuses but what brings me to Todoist is quick capture tool – really helpful to capture, clarify and organize in one go.
Interesting, so you probably don't need to mess around with Filters in Todoist? (that's what always frustrates me). I've never tried setting it up with hashtags for projects. Thanks!

Interesting, so you probably don't need to mess around with Filters in Todoist? (that's what always frustrates me). I've never tried setting it up with hashtags for projects. Thanks!

I do not use filters for workflow and don't recommend it, but I do use them to check data accuracy, like ensuring all tasks in the SCHEDULED list have assigned dates.

This setup is simple: tasks are organized into basic GTD lists (#) with labels to link items to projects (@). It is recommended in the official guide, and I agree – it's straightforward. The only thing to remember is to place tasks in the correct list. Adding labels is optional and won't disrupt your workflow since you work directly from the lists.

The alternative setup in the guide uses project section for the project lists (#) and labels for Next Actions (@). I find this harder to maintain because you must place tasks in the correct list and you must add the correct label – since you will be working directly through the labels.

However is your setup, Todoist is more error-prone than Nirvana because labels, projects, dates, filters, and views all exist independently.

I think Todoist is great if you get the hang of setting up the projects/filters. Or having a simpler setup.
I'm curious: in what way did you find Todoist to have a steeper learning curve? When I used Todoist, I used the projects list for projects and created labels for contexts.
However is your setup, Todoist is more error-prone than Nirvana because labels, projects, dates, filters, and views all exist independently.
I'm not sure what you mean. Projects are a separate list item in Nirvana; and areas, contexts and dates all have to be set manually (actually, Todoist has the leg up here if you enable the natural language feature). If you use labels for areas in Todoist, it works pretty much the same way Nirvana does. And when you create a label in Todoist, it's added to the "Filters & Labels" list automatically.

I've not found Todoist to be more error-prone than Nirvana. I think it's possible that Todoist offers more options for complicating things, but you can over-complicate Nirvana (and I have). Heck, I've known people who can over-complicate a post-it note (I think I've done that too).

I'm not trying to sell anyone on Todoist. I actually like Nirvana better! But I don't think people new to GTD need to steer away from Todoist, as long as they know how to use it. The GTD setup guide helps a lot in that regard.

I'm not sure what you mean. Projects are a separate list item in Nirvana; and areas, contexts and dates all have to be set manually (actually, Todoist has the leg up here if you enable the natural language feature). If you use labels for areas in Todoist, it works pretty much the same way Nirvana does. And when you create a label in Todoist, it's added to the "Filters & Labels" list automatically.

I've not found Todoist to be more error-prone than Nirvana. I think it's possible that Todoist offers more options for complicating things, but you can over-complicate Nirvana (and I have). Heck, I've known people who can over-complicate a post-it note (I think I've done that too).

I'm not trying to sell anyone on Todoist. I actually like Nirvana better! But I don't think people new to GTD need to steer away from Todoist, as long as they know how to use it. The GTD setup guide helps a lot in that regard.

I meant something like putting item on Someday list with “PC” label or with a due date – it is rather about random human error, not complexity.

I think that I have found quite satisfying solution for Nivana. I used my secondary browser (Edge) to pin Nirvana web shortcut on the side bar. I have also adjusted the window's size and set it always on top. So now my “win + 9” keyboard shortcut open something like small quick capture tool over the other windows. It is for MS users but it looks promising - I will test it and post more details in the future.

1717321518634.png

I meant something like putting item on Someday list with “PC” label or with a due date – it is rather about random human error, not complexity.
I think I've had a much different experience with Todoist than you and @Ariadne Marques because I've used it much differently than either of you. I think this is about personal preference and not a question of right or wrong.

If I had to sum up my own feelings, I find Todoist has a more intuitive interface and more features (attachments, integrations with other apps, natural language recognition for due dates, for example). Nirvana, on the other hand, is purpose-built for GTD, and things I like to do that required some minor workarounds in Todoist are things Nirvana does right out of the box.

I like Nirvana just a hair better, but I could use either app happily and successfully. For whatever that's worth to anyone.

I'm curious: in what way did you find Todoist to have a steeper learning curve? When I used Todoist, I used the projects list for projects and created labels for contexts.
I guess it's because I've always thought of Todoist being used with the filters, and I was overcomplicating things. I was trying to create a "Focus" and "Next" and "Later" filters with priority tags, and that was the issue. Because Todoist is so flexible, I always try to use the features as much as I can, I just can't help it ! o_O Now that I think about it, I could have set it up in a more straightforward way.

I guess it's because I've always thought of Todoist being used with the filters, and I was overcomplicating things. I was trying to create a "Focus" and "Next" and "Later" filters with priority tags, and that was the issue. Because Todoist is so flexible, I always try to use the features as much as I can, I just can't help it ! o_O Now that I think about it, I could have set it up in a more straightforward way.
Hey, live and learn. Besides -- like me, you ended up preferring Nirvana. So why worry about how to best set up Todoist?

I think that I have found quite satisfying solution for Nivana. I used my secondary browser (Edge) to pin Nirvana web shortcut on the side bar. I have also adjusted the window's size and set it always on top. So now my “win + 9” keyboard shortcut open something like small quick capture tool over the other windows. It is for MS users but it looks promising - I will test it and post more details in the future.
So, I was able to create a keyboard shortcut to open a Nirvana web instance. How did you manage to set up the window's size and set it to stay always on top? And to always open in the Inbox window?

So, I was able to create a keyboard shortcut to open a Nirvana web instance. How did you manage to set up the window's size and set it to stay always on top? And to always open in the Inbox window?

Please check this short video.

I suggest to set a unique window’s name – my is “Inbox - Nirvana”.

To set it always on top – Windows 11 users can use ctrl + F11. But for Windows 10 you need the external program. I suggest Window TopMost Control v 1.3 (unofficial, but no installation is needed).

You cannot open it always in inbox window so you have to press i, x, w, p, y, l, f – or escape – as you need. But it works quite well.

Please just be aware that I am making some tests now so I probably need 1-2 weeks to give an opinion. I also use a little different solution but the above one should be easy and quick to set and test for you.

Please check this short video.

I suggest to set a unique window’s name – my is “Inbox - Nirvana”.

To set it always on top – Windows 11 users can use ctrl + F11. But for Windows 10 you need the external program. I suggest Window TopMost Control v 1.3 (unofficial, but no installation is needed).

You cannot open it always in inbox window so you have to press i, x, w, p, y, l, f – or escape – as you need. But it works quite well.

Please just be aware that I am making some tests now so I probably need 1-2 weeks to give an opinion. I also use a little different solution but the above one should be easy and quick to set and test for you.
Thanks, @Lucas W. ! I will try this out!