Is Nirvana GTD app going to close?

Mateusz

Registered
According to Nirvana's twitter account, the macOS and Windows apps are coming. I believe we can expect some bug fixes and new features also.

benclo

Registered
Nirvana works really nicely - especially if you have to work across the Mac/Windows world. Yes, they're slow in dev - suspect it's a small team - however their support team respond quickly and a generally helpful. I've ended up paying for it as I think that it's a great simple platform.
Especially like the ease of use and quick focus on areas. The lack of integration and markdown format is a bit irritating... but does keep you focus on GTD and not the tool (remember... it's about getting things done... :))

Thomas19

Registered
Here's my issue with the slow updates.

1) If I'm going to put my life into a system, I need trust it. With infrequent updates, it gives the impression it'll go away soon. And if it does, I'll either have to hope I'm made away before it does, so I can migrate my data. Or worst case, I wake up one day and my data is gone forever.

2) I'd rather a product that evolves gradually over time with small incremental updates then big releases made years apart.

Aside from that, I loved the app when I used. I've just lost trust that it'll stay around, so I moved on to an app that updates often.

Papapooch

Registered
After decades of search, the finding and the abandonment, like many of you I was very anxious to see NirvanaHQ succeed. But alas there is not the sense that development is a reasonably aggressive path. Now if you want to see an equally elegant execution but already way ahead of Nirvana and putting out notable, well thought out improvements every couple of months, head over to ClickUp. Very impressive.

Mateusz

Registered
After decades of search, the finding and the abandonment, like many of you I was very anxious to see NirvanaHQ succeed. But alas there is not the sense that development is a reasonably aggressive path. Now if you want to see an equally elegant execution but already way ahead of Nirvana and putting out notable, well thought out improvements every couple of months, head over to ClickUp. Very impressive.
For me the ClickUp is too sophisticated app. I need a trusted system which is as simple and clear as possible and at the same time powerful where it should be powerful. My experience tells me that to-do software is not about features, it is about workflow. This is why Nirvana is so great even if its features look poor with comparison to other apps. Bells and whistles everywhere:)

mcogilvie

Registered
For me the ClickUp is too sophisticated app. I need a trusted system which is as simple and clear as possible and at the same time powerful where it should be powerful. My experience tells me that to-do software is not about features, it is about workflow. This is why Nirvana is so great even if its features look poor with comparison to other apps. Bells and whistles everywhere:)

Yep, workflow is key. And I’ve always liked this remark, attributed to Einstein: “ Everything should be made as simple as possible, and not simpler.“

bcmyers2112

Registered
Yep, workflow is key. And I’ve always liked this remark, attributed to Einstein: “ Everything should be made as simple as possible, and not simpler.“

This is why I've stuck with Nirvana despite my complaints about the UI. I feel like the developers get GTD in a way that few developers do and they've tried to design software you could use when you have the flu. There are some rough edges in that regard but... it's still the best I've tried.

Sarahsuccess

Registered

1) If I'm going to put my life into a system, I need trust it. With infrequent updates, it gives the impression it'll go away soon. And if it does, I'll either have to hope I'm made away before it does, so I can migrate my data. Or worst case, I wake up one day and my data is gone forever.

2) I'd rather a product that evolves gradually over time with small incremental updates then big releases made years apart.

Aside from that, I loved the app when I used. I've just lost trust that it'll stay around, so I moved on to an app that updates often.

Which app did you move on to?

I am considering moving from paper to digital. I like how Nirvanahq is intuitive to gtd. I notice some bugs in assigning tags in the iphone app.

Mateusz

Registered

I am considering moving from paper to digital. I like how Nirvanahq is intuitive to gtd. I notice some bugs in assigning tags in the iphone app.
What kind of bugs did you encounter?

I truly recommend Nirvana

Sarahsuccess

Registered
What kind of bugs did you encounter?
Here is the situation: On the first day of using the Nirvanahq iphone app, I save an item in the Inbox. Later I go back and change category/folder to Action, and Tag to one that was never assigned yet (Lets say Errands). Then when I go to the left sidebar and go to view by Tags, the one I assigned (in this case Errands) is not there. I can’t view my actions by the Tag - Errands. (When I select “Manage” in the upper right corner then I can see all the tags.)

However, when I assign a Tag when I initially save a new entry then the Tag does appear in the sidebar Tags list. But in gtd you are supposed to be able to quickly capture a new item, and later go back and assign a Tag.
The workaround is to initially save an item with the new Tag, but it was very confusing for me as a new user until I figured that out.
(I downloaded the Nirvana app in May and explored it, but never used it as a gtd tool. )

Is that clear?

Last edited:

Sarahsuccess

Registered
Yes it is but has never happened to me.
In the Nirvanahq iphone app:
1. Add new Tag
2. Add a new item to the inbox, save it without assigning a Tag
3. Assign the new tag to that item.
4. Go to Tags and try to view by your new tag.
Is your new tag in the list?

Mateusz

Registered
You are right. It is not there until I pull down to sync.
I have rather a constant set of tags and I have never needed to do things as you described.
Did you report this to the support?

Sarahsuccess

Registered
You are right. It is not there until I pull down to sync.
I have rather a constant set of tags and I have never needed to do things as you described.
Did you report this to the support?

Yes, for Tags that are frequently used this is is not a problem. It is only a problem for new tags (and new users!)
I think I sent an email last May when I initially downloaded the app, but I don’t clearly remember. I don’t have proof (of a sent email) because the Support link allows me to send a message via a web page.
There is also a Feedback link that opens an email. Today I sent a message to both Support and Feedback.

Sarahsuccess

Registered
I received an email reply from Nirvanahq today, about one hour after I emailed them.
This is their reply:

Hi Sarah!

We've tried to reproduce these steps and received the same result, thank you for pointing the issue. I'll forward this to our tech team to eliminate in the future app updates.

As a workaround, you can use Filter function, it seems to work fine with newly added tags. Just follow these steps:

1. Choose a list or perform a search.
2. Tap the 3 dots in the top-right corner, followed by Filters.
3. Select your desired attributes or tags, repeating as necessary.

Hope this helps, but let me know if any questions arise.

Kind regards,
Diana

Thomas19

Registered

I moved to OmniFocus. It took some getting used to, but I find it to be far more powerful than Nirvana.

JMartinez

Registered

It is true that Nirvana does not update frequently. Nirvana is created by People Like Us, a digital marketing and web development company from Montreal, Canada. As they say, the team is small and they alternate their daily activities with the development of Nirvana. All in all, Nirvana has been with us for over 10 years now, and has never ever failed. I understand your suspicions but I personally have full confidence in Nirvana. Just this week the Android application was updated