Most seamless way of Apple Watch as capture tool?

baseball98

Registered
I don't use it often but I purchased Braintoss ($2.99) which comes with a Watch app. You can set it to go to your email, or the email address of your list manager's inbox if your app has that feature. It's useful when I need it.
Really liked that app for iOS but unfortunately I cannot trust it. So many messages are being stuck in queue or failed. Have reported but no solution. Still think my solution above is better though. Thanks for the tip if you like the app and it actually works I can see that it is useful.

Matth8346

Registered
Really liked that app for iOS but unfortunately I cannot trust it. So many messages are being stuck in queue or failed. Have reported but no solution. Still think my solution above is better though. Thanks for the tip if you like the app and it actually works I can see that it is useful.
Thanks for mentioning that, you have to trust your tools. I do not use it often so I guess that's why I haven't experienced a problem with it.

mcogilvie

Registered
I'd recommend checking out Drafts.app - probably one of the best capture tools for Apple watch.

They also have ios apps, a Mac app, and a limited browser plugin.
Somehow Drafts and I have never clicked. It feels like an inbox for my inbox and it is not as good at extracting information from other sources as the apps I use a lot. For example, Bear does an amazing job of extracting text, formatting and images from web pages and translating into markdown.

David Weaver

Registered
I don't use it often but I purchased Braintoss ($2.99) which comes with a Watch app. You can set it to go to your email, or the email address of your list manager's inbox if your app has that feature. It's useful when I need it.
EDIT: Found it: https://braintoss.freshdesk.com/sup...9588-how-do-i-change-the-format-of-the-email-

I just bought this app to try it out. Is there a way to remove the [Brain Toss] from the beginning of the subject when it sends? That's kind of annoying.

schmeggahead

Registered
I use drafts as my go to capture tool on my Macs, Watch, iPhone and iPad

The drafts watch app has a complication that looks like a microphone. tapping it begins recording directly for as long as you care to speak.
The current release requires an additional tap, but Greg Pierce is working on a solution to that.

I use a combination of Hey Siri remind me and drafts capture.
Drafts is useful for me because it houses a kind of mind sweep and incubate processing center. I can send the item anywhere: to email, to a reminder list, archive it in Drafts, tag in drafts as incubate in various categories (essentially creating multiple incubates by category).

Drafts has integration with about everything, including Todoist. It has full coverage of the Apple ecosystem

Hope this helps
Clayton

jahammersley

Registered

The drafts watch app has a complication that looks like a microphone. tapping it begins recording directly for as long as you care to speak.
The current release requires an additional tap, but Greg Pierce is working on a solution to that.

Drafts is useful for me because it houses a kind of mind sweep and incubate processing center. I can send the item anywhere: to email, to a reminder list, archive it in Drafts, tag in drafts as incubate in various categories (essentially creating multiple incubates by category).

Drafts has integration with about everything, including Todoist. It has full coverage of the Apple ecosystem

Hope this helps
Clayton
Clayton -- I have been tweaking my capture devices for *years* and the ones you outline in this post are the exact ones I have found most useful. However, your post is now almost two years old. Are you still primarily using Drafts and Hey Siri? Does the Drafts Apple Watch complication still require two taps to audio record? Have you found any lower friction capture device for the Apple watch?

Thank you!

Jill

mcogilvie

Registered
I have Braintoss, but very rarely use it. I more commonly use native watch apps for capture or use Reminders as a conduit.

schmeggahead

Registered
Does the Drafts Apple Watch complication still require two taps to audio record?
The short answer is yes. Drafts Author Greg Pierce has been working on a fix to the Apple Watch issue and the new Capture with Options complication actually works very well. It is easier to use than the standard Apple Watch inputs. It reduced my friction quite a bit.

Are you still primarily using Drafts and Hey Siri?
I've added a tool named Omnivore for reading material. I capture a great deal of potential reading material and Omnivore allows me to have things read to me and also to flag with various tags. It integrates with Obsidian, so notes on the various reading material can be integrated into Obsidian. I have a reMarkable now that I use sometimes for capture when doing a mind sweep around the house.

I've also begun using my Note taker wallet again. Paper is a wonderful thing.

Hope this helps,
Clayton.

A fool with a tool is still a fool. - @MortenRovik talking about the need for skills acquisition first.

mcogilvie

Registered
I've added a tool named Omnivore for reading material. I capture a great deal of potential reading material and Omnivore allows me to have things read to me and also to flag with various tags. It integrates with Obsidian, so notes on the various reading material can be integrated into Obsidian. I have a reMarkable now that I use sometimes for capture when doing a mind sweep around the house.
+1 for Omnivore. I actually find most read-it-later apps pretty worthless, because they mostly function as an unnecessary intermediate inbox. Omnivore Is good for reading for research: I want to extract information from what I read. The markdown export of highlights is perfect for me.

kathleentnorris

Registered
Personally, I’ve found the native reminders app to be pretty clutch. Just a quick "Hey Siri" and boom, your task is saved. Super handy for when you're on the go or got your hands full. Another pro tip is to use the voice memo feature. It's like having a mini recorder on your wrist. Easy peasy.But, let's not forget about the OG method – good ol' pen and paper. Sometimes, keeping it simple just works. However, if you're vibing with the tech, integrating apps like Evernote or Todoist with your watch can also be a game-changer. They sync up nicely and keep everything in one place.And oh, speaking of cool gadgets, if you’re into watches, you might wanna check out https://replicapanerai.io. They got some interesting stuff if you're into that kinda thing. Not trying to sell ya anything, just sharing the love for timepieces.

Last edited:

Robert5911

Registered
I am fully invested in the Apple ecosystem and find the watch invaluable as a capture tool. It is even my capture tool in the shower. But, in actuality, Siri is the capture tool, whether in the car, my watch, phone, iPad, or even sitting at my desk at times. I also have home pods in frequently used rooms in my home.

jahammersley

Registered
If I were to purchase the newest Apple Watch, could I simply say "Hey Siri ... take a note ... add milk to grocery list" and would it transfer to Apple notes on my iPhone? I am looking for the most frictionless way to capture and would prefer not to actually have to touch anything on my watch.

And if this does exist, what happens when you say "Hey Siri" and you are near your watch and your phone?

As an aside, I have been on a years-long quest to find the perfect capture device. Haven't found it yet.

Robert5911

Registered
If I were to purchase the newest Apple Watch, could I simply say "Hey Siri ... take a note ... add milk to grocery list" and would it transfer to Apple notes on my iPhone? I am looking for the most frictionless way to capture and would prefer not to actually have to touch anything on my watch.

And if this does exist, what happens when you say "Hey Siri" and you are near your watch and your phone?

As an aside, I have been on a years-long quest to find the perfect capture device. Haven't found it yet.
I do not use it with the notes app. However you could add it to you grocery reminder list by telling Siri to remind you and ad to Grocery list.

mcogilvie

Registered

There is no official Apple Notes app for the Apple Watch. There is a 3rd-party app which might be ok. The Watch supports Calendar and Reminders well. I use Siri routinely and easily for Watch -> Reminders -> Things.

If two or more Apple devices hear “Siri” (“Hey“ is no longer needed), one device preempts the others using a stupid scheme. I sometimes long-push the button on my watch instead to bring up Siri.

schmeggahead

Registered
I sometimes long-push the button on my watch instead to bring up Siri.
I've had to turn off recognition of Siri on every apple device I own. It was activating so often, it interrupted much more than it helped. I do the long press on the crown on my watch to activate Siri and sometimes long press the phone button in the car.

Siri used to only activate with Hey Siri very clearly stated but the recent "enhancements" have made it unusable with automatic activating.
Clayton.

Overloading overloaded controls ends up in frustratingly misfiring uncontrollable controls.

cfoley

Registered
I like listening to podcasts in the car over bluetooth.

It is very common for the podcast to activate the "OK Google" on the phone that is playing the podcast.

Is this the tech equivalent of waking oneself with the sound of one's own fart?

Jim

GTD Ninja
But the Todoist app on the AW is not working very good…
If they have any support for their native app, I would contact the app's developer, and:
  1. File a bug report
  2. Ask for troubleshooting help
  3. Make a feature request

Jim

GTD Ninja
I've been experimenting with Just Press Record on my setup.

Reasonably priced, it gives you:
  • One-tap recording (very fast to start recording, and you can edit the recording afterwards)
  • Transcription (fast, accurate, and you can copy the text easily)
  • iCloud syncing on your Apple Watch, iPone and Mac
Pretty happy with it.

samuelethan

Registered

Watch Parts
Hope this helps
Clayton
I've been an Arccos user for almost three years and I've come to rely on the advanced analytics after the round to help me see where I'm improving or getting worse. While I love the data and the UX of the Arccos app, I've started to get really frustrated by the number of shots it misses (I'm using the Link device to detect shots) as well as the really poor AI recommendations the app makes. So I decided to pick up the Garmin S70, which I used for a couple of weeks before realizing it was not what I wanted either. My opinion is that it's really great during the round, and gives good info including slope, barometric data, etc., but after the round it leaves a lot to be desired from a data standpoint. The only software option currently available to use the data collected by the watch is the Garmin Golf app, which is essentially just a digital scorecard. It does track club distances but that's about it. There is little to no analytics to help you improve as a golfer. I just ordered an Apple Watch SE and am going to try some apps like The Grint, Golfshot, 18 Birdies, and PAR Golf as soon as it arrives. Has anybody else gone on this journey before me and has some advice or knowledge to pass on? My ultimate goal is a solution that provides shot-tracking capability, in-round AI caddie advice, and post-round analytics preferably using strokes gained metrics.