Most seamless way of Apple Watch as capture tool?

baseball98

Registered
I don't use it often but I purchased Braintoss ($2.99) which comes with a Watch app. You can set it to go to your email, or the email address of your list manager's inbox if your app has that feature. It's useful when I need it.
Really liked that app for iOS but unfortunately I cannot trust it. So many messages are being stuck in queue or failed. Have reported but no solution. Still think my solution above is better though. Thanks for the tip if you like the app and it actually works I can see that it is useful.

Matth8346

Registered
Really liked that app for iOS but unfortunately I cannot trust it. So many messages are being stuck in queue or failed. Have reported but no solution. Still think my solution above is better though. Thanks for the tip if you like the app and it actually works I can see that it is useful.
Thanks for mentioning that, you have to trust your tools. I do not use it often so I guess that's why I haven't experienced a problem with it.

mcogilvie

Registered
I'd recommend checking out Drafts.app - probably one of the best capture tools for Apple watch.

They also have ios apps, a Mac app, and a limited browser plugin.
Somehow Drafts and I have never clicked. It feels like an inbox for my inbox and it is not as good at extracting information from other sources as the apps I use a lot. For example, Bear does an amazing job of extracting text, formatting and images from web pages and translating into markdown.

David Weaver

Registered
I don't use it often but I purchased Braintoss ($2.99) which comes with a Watch app. You can set it to go to your email, or the email address of your list manager's inbox if your app has that feature. It's useful when I need it.
EDIT: Found it: https://braintoss.freshdesk.com/sup...9588-how-do-i-change-the-format-of-the-email-

I just bought this app to try it out. Is there a way to remove the [Brain Toss] from the beginning of the subject when it sends? That's kind of annoying.

schmeggahead

Registered
I use drafts as my go to capture tool on my Macs, Watch, iPhone and iPad

The drafts watch app has a complication that looks like a microphone. tapping it begins recording directly for as long as you care to speak.
The current release requires an additional tap, but Greg Pierce is working on a solution to that.

I use a combination of Hey Siri remind me and drafts capture.
Drafts is useful for me because it houses a kind of mind sweep and incubate processing center. I can send the item anywhere: to email, to a reminder list, archive it in Drafts, tag in drafts as incubate in various categories (essentially creating multiple incubates by category).

Drafts has integration with about everything, including Todoist. It has full coverage of the Apple ecosystem

Hope this helps
Clayton

jahammersley

Registered
I use drafts as my go to capture tool on my Macs, Watch, iPhone and iPad

The drafts watch app has a complication that looks like a microphone. tapping it begins recording directly for as long as you care to speak.
The current release requires an additional tap, but Greg Pierce is working on a solution to that.

I use a combination of Hey Siri remind me and drafts capture.
Drafts is useful for me because it houses a kind of mind sweep and incubate processing center. I can send the item anywhere: to email, to a reminder list, archive it in Drafts, tag in drafts as incubate in various categories (essentially creating multiple incubates by category).

Drafts has integration with about everything, including Todoist. It has full coverage of the Apple ecosystem

Hope this helps
Clayton
Clayton -- I have been tweaking my capture devices for *years* and the ones you outline in this post are the exact ones I have found most useful. However, your post is now almost two years old. Are you still primarily using Drafts and Hey Siri? Does the Drafts Apple Watch complication still require two taps to audio record? Have you found any lower friction capture device for the Apple watch?

Thank you!

Jill

mcogilvie

Registered
I have Braintoss, but very rarely use it. I more commonly use native watch apps for capture or use Reminders as a conduit.

schmeggahead

Registered
Does the Drafts Apple Watch complication still require two taps to audio record?
The short answer is yes. Drafts Author Greg Pierce has been working on a fix to the Apple Watch issue and the new Capture with Options complication actually works very well. It is easier to use than the standard Apple Watch inputs. It reduced my friction quite a bit.

Are you still primarily using Drafts and Hey Siri?
I've added a tool named Omnivore for reading material. I capture a great deal of potential reading material and Omnivore allows me to have things read to me and also to flag with various tags. It integrates with Obsidian, so notes on the various reading material can be integrated into Obsidian. I have a reMarkable now that I use sometimes for capture when doing a mind sweep around the house.

I've also begun using my Note taker wallet again. Paper is a wonderful thing.

Hope this helps,
Clayton.

A fool with a tool is still a fool. - @MortenRovik talking about the need for skills acquisition first.

mcogilvie

Registered
I've added a tool named Omnivore for reading material. I capture a great deal of potential reading material and Omnivore allows me to have things read to me and also to flag with various tags. It integrates with Obsidian, so notes on the various reading material can be integrated into Obsidian. I have a reMarkable now that I use sometimes for capture when doing a mind sweep around the house.
+1 for Omnivore. I actually find most read-it-later apps pretty worthless, because they mostly function as an unnecessary intermediate inbox. Omnivore Is good for reading for research: I want to extract information from what I read. The markdown export of highlights is perfect for me.