My Written tutorial for the Digital file folder ABC system/method (By simpletivity on youtube) for PC's and more questions about using digital forGTD

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
Thanks very much

""incompletion trigger list", whish to me is more of a resource/reference material." you mean to write which?

"you see these triggers, what possible projects do you identify in YOUR world? Write these down." Im just suppose to look at the text/writing once for each trigger or say it aloud once, then write down all the thoughts in my mind which came from it - and don't look at it again?

don't know what a list manager is

"ist manager I have a mind sweep list, where I write things down either directly or by sending an email to a certain address (or by using the app Braintoss)"

"recycle the paper note." Yeah its good to recycle, I should try to recycle as much as possible to help mother Earth - But I don't understand everything you write in this paragraph

"internalizing" what definition of that word are you using?

"ITM STN
Yes, I meant to write "which", my mobile phone's auto correct does the strangest things...

Correct regarding triggers: they are supposed to trigger your creative thinking about the items. Such as when you see an item on the trigger list - and say it out loud if you like, you will probably at some point say "oh, that reminds me....", and you write down whatever that is.

List manager: whatever system you use to manage all your lists. In the digital domain, this could be Microsoft To Do, Things, Asana etc...

My main point regarding the mind sweep is that this is a fast and simple process, where the focus is to capture whatever has your attention, not spending much time on designing a complex system for this part of the process...

Internalizing: I mean that it's a good idea to focus on the five steps of mastering workflow (Capture, Clarify, Organize, Reflect and Engange) enough so they are just a natural way of behaving. This may take some time, but this is a more important thing to really learn in the beginning then some particular software...

Hope that this was clarifying!

Yes, I meant to write "which", my mobile phone's auto correct does the strangest things...

Correct regarding triggers: they are supposed to trigger your creative thinking about the items. Such as when you see an item on the trigger list - and say it out loud if you like, you will probably at some point say "oh, that reminds me....", and you write down whatever that is.

List manager: whatever system you use to manage all your lists. In the digital domain, this could be Microsoft To Do, Things, Asana etc...

My main point regarding the mind sweep is that this is a fast and simple process, where the focus is to capture whatever has your attention, not spending much time on designing a complex system for this part of the process...

Internalizing: I mean that it's a good idea to focus on the five steps of mastering workflow (Capture, Clarify, Organize, Reflect and Engange) enough so they are just a natural way of behaving. This may take some time, but this is a more important thing to really learn in the beginning then some particular software...

Hope that this was clarifying!

ITM x2

Yeah you clarified more stuff here

"supposed to trigger your creative thinking " well I have problems thinking because of my disorder, effects my thought

"ome point say "oh, that reminds me....", I have short term memory problems because of heavy metals from the vax

I don't use list manager right now

Mind sweep written in book - said something example spend 1 hr doing it (or was it amount of time is up to yourself?), that's what initially did

"dea to focus on the five steps of mastering workflow" How should I learn this? "STN

Yeah so I should go over mind sweep tomorrow 1hr in thebrian if no one gets back here within 24hours"

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
ITM x2

Yeah you clarified more stuff here

"supposed to trigger your creative thinking " well I have problems thinking because of my disorder, effects my thought

"ome point say "oh, that reminds me....", I have short term memory problems because of heavy metals from the vax

I don't use list manager right now

Mind sweep written in book - said something example spend 1 hr doing it (or was it amount of time is up to yourself?), that's what initially did

"dea to focus on the five steps of mastering workflow" How should I learn this? "STN

Yeah so I should go over mind sweep tomorrow 1hr in thebrian if no one gets back here within 24hours"
Good!

I'm really no expert in your diagnosis - actually, not even an amateur, but when you describe that you have trouble with long term memory, I believe that your GTD system, which we often refer to as an external brain, will help you!

I have never really done a thorough sit-down mind sweep session, I actually find that a bit hard - to "come up with stuff on demand". Instead, I make sure to capture things as I go, and that keeps my mind clear.

As for the five steps of the workflow, they are just that (CCORE).
I don't know if you can afford it, but I believe that Crucial Learning's on-demand course would be of great help to strengthen just that! My guess is that it's about $250.

Also, I strongly believe that you should try to establishment some kind of lists separated by contexts. In the digital domain, this could be as simple as one notepad file for each kind of list - I had a course participant who did just that, and it actually makes sense! When you get more comfortable, you can consider checking out more advanced solutions...

Good!

I'm really no expert in your diagnosis - actually, not even an amateur, but when you describe that you have trouble with long term memory, I believe that your GTD system, which we often refer to as an external brain, will help you!

I have never really done a thorough sit-down mind sweep session, I actually find that a bit hard - to "come up with stuff on demand". Instead, I make sure to capture things as I go, and that keeps my mind clear.

As for the five steps of the workflow, they are just that (CCORE).
I don't know if you can afford it, but I believe that Crucial Learning's on-demand course would be of great help to strengthen just that! My guess is that it's about $250.

Also, I strongly believe that you should try to establishment some kind of lists separated by contexts. In the digital domain, this could be as simple as one notepad file for each kind of list - I had a course participant who did just that, and it actually makes sense! When you get more comfortable, you can consider checking out more advanced solutions...

ITM
back to this from initial

"describe that you have trouble with long term memory" no - short term memory

" actually find that a bit hard - to "come up with stuff on demand". Instead, I make sure to capture things as I go, and that keeps my mind clear." yes I was just trying that and found it difficult

See this image - I was using thebrian , feel like not using it properly, just by writing types of stuff under one point on mind map in a list type manner- writing from the book, then writing my thought

I was having word in my head that feel like doing this isn't helpful at all? It is good as myself literally just doing nothing in real life? Sitting and doing nothing idle? is this true or false 100% ?

1707828342170.png

This was about half an hour of writing I did?

having thought maybe persons @mksilk2 test still, or should I stop using the brain? It seems to me - that type of instructions , information for learning the brain seems throughout (thorough), not sure am capable? How long would it take me myself to learn it? is it worth investment ?

" Crucial Learning's" never herd of that? Should look into this if don't get back next reply?

"could be as simple as one notepad file for each kind of list" you talking about note pad application on browser? or in real life could just use note pad to write next actions down?' STN

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
Oh sorry - short term... Well, writing things down could still be helpful, right? Myself, I find that when things get busy, I have trouble remembering - and love having the ability to capture quick notes about things I have to remember. They go into Asana (my list manager) on my mind sweep list, for later processing (or 'clarifying').

To me, The Brain seems like a PKM (personal knowledge management) system for stuff with a longer life span, much like I use Notion and others use Obsidian. Regarding the trigger list, I would look at that, maybe say them out loud. If nothing comes up - move on - and if something is triggered - write it down. When ready for processing, use the Clarifying model to clarify and organize.

At this point, I would advice you to keep the tools as simple as possible, so that they don't become an obstacle in your workflow.
Notepad is an app in Windows, the simplest text editor there is...

Crucial Learning is the company that made the new GTD course (among other courses). Here's a link to the on-demand course:
GTD on-demand
(I see now that the price is $270)

I'm a simple guy, always looking for the tools that are easy to use...

Oh sorry - short term... Well, writing things down could still be helpful, right? Myself, I find that when things get busy, I have trouble remembering - and love having the ability to capture quick notes about things I have to remember. They go into Asana (my list manager) on my mind sweep list, for later processing (or 'clarifying').

To me, The Brain seems like a PKM (personal knowledge management) system for stuff with a longer life span, much like I use Notion and others use Obsidian. Regarding the trigger list, I would look at that, maybe say them out loud. If nothing comes up - move on - and if something is triggered - write it down. When ready for processing, use the Clarifying model to clarify and organize.

At this point, I would advice you to keep the tools as simple as possible, so that they don't become an obstacle in your workflow.

Crucial Learning is the company that made the new GTD course (among other courses). Here's a link to the on-demand course:
GTD on-demand

yeah I am always writing things down
But thats reason why I am like the 1 user on this fourm making all these posts - because I have problems retaining information

Maybe I should use Asana right now then
and save Brain for later?

Right yeah I use notepad after persones recommended it for journaling a while ago.

I looked at link you shared - not sure if that course is for myself?

[https://asana.com/pricing] I looked at type app you mentioned - thats something which more looks for myself , persons who haven't done proper mind sweep yet
feels like can't do one?

and that isn't either the best at "capturing my own ideas
How do you draw the line?

STN

mksilk2

Registered

GTD on-demand

Totally agree, TheBrain is my reference / PKM system. It can be easily used for GTD task/project management too, there are many tutorials on setting it up, but I don't use it for that. If you want lists and list management there are many options out there. As I mentioned I use Nirvana for personal and MS ToDo at work. I didn't really get the hang of reference until later in my GTD journey. I started with simple lists. You just have to find what works for you.

Totally agree, TheBrain is my reference / PKM system. It can be easily used for GTD task/project management too, there are many tutorials on setting it up, but I don't use it for that. If you want lists and list management there are many options out there. As I mentioned I use Nirvana for personal and MS ToDo at work. I didn't really get the hang of reference until later in my GTD journey. I started with simple lists. You just have to find what works for you.
Thanks getting back here.

I don't know what PKM stands for. Yeah maybe I will use TheBrain later, but right now feel like don't have time to be going through tutorials/instructions it offers. I remember trying using Microsoft To do before, it is automatically installed, but from what I remember MT didn't seem to be in-depth - at least how I was using it in the past (maybe was just me myself, also not reading instructions/tutorial about it- are you suppose sync stuff with it? - way used it was just like with traditional list features only. Yeah I need get better using simple lists.

I feel like I need to go over these recent threads I made - since made thread "been 30 days since I have done a weekly review" and then realised that way that had done WR in past wasn't right, that I hadn't even done mind sweep right in past. That was trying doing mind sweep manually looking at book over- but then myself actually revert to feeling not sure how beneficial it is - persons Rene says way he does mind sweep is not in one go, but just over time captures thoughts/ideas he has - that is his mind sweep.

I am thinking to myself why is it recommended in book do mind sweep in one session - but then also can just do it have option not do it in that style and just try capture your thoughts over time - that is version of mind sweep? is that written in the book? I need go over this before going on investment of my time of what list manager I am using digitally .

what was thinking to myself while writing this: you use a list manager in order to write "next actions" from your weekly review or mind sweep right - so that if you haven't got something like a solid foundation in previous task said to do in the book (i.e. the mindsweep) how well am I going to be using list manager according to a GTD system? I feel like I will end up using a list manager generically like anyone else who uses software Microsoft To do or Nirvana and won't be connected to GTD?

ITM I mean I just randomly here and there made reference about my health problem in this fourm [https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Detoxification-Manual-Guide-Chelation/dp/0967616840] maybe worth sharing or [https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Detoxification-Manual-Guide-Chelation/dp/0967616840] I have read through .

says persons who a mercury intoxicated causes brain fog, short term memory becomes impaired - so does it make me less well to be able do the GTD system?

What's my problem? I feel like my mind is out of balance literally - myself I will start having thoughts/ideas of new stuffs to do, new activities/projects - but I still have a bunch of stuff which is left unfinished

And what? STN said a voice in my head

I" so @René Lie @Mrs-Polifax @gtdstudente

STN?

Oogiem

Registered
what PKM stands for.
Personal Knowledge Management Since everyone thinks differently and likes different ways of interacting with the data they need it has to be Personal as in fits you. Knowledge because it needs to support making mere facts into actionable stuff that helps you do whatever it is you want to do. Management because all systems need some care and feeding and you have to make time to manage your stuff in a way that fits you, i.e. manage them.

I am thinking to myself why is it recommended in book do mind sweep in one session - but then also can just do it have option not do it in that style and just try capture your thoughts over time
Wen you are first getting started it is REALLY helpful to take the time, and it can be a LOT of time, to do a full complete mindsweep. Until you do your brain will be churning at the things you did not capture yet and you will still feel like you haven't done it right. After that you can transition to capturing all the time. Plus, as overwhelming as it will seem to see everything that is on your mind there is also a relief at getting it all out.

I will start having thoughts/ideas of new stuffs to do, new activities/projects - but I still have a bunch of stuff which is left unfinished
That's a good sign IMO. THAT is when you activate the capture on the go. Just because you have all those thoughts and things to do and stuff doesn't mean you have to act on them now or do them now. But you do need a way to capture them and then later decide whether they are worth saving for later, tossing in the trash, adding to an already existing project or creating a new active project.

I am now entirely digital, I used to use Omnifocus but now I've moved to Obsidian. But when OI started GTD I was on other systems and the most freeing thing I did was do a really complete mind sweep at the beginning. I like a small daily calendar that is about 1/4 the size of a sheep of paper. I save them and use them as temporary notes. I also use cheap 3x5 spiral bound notebooks as my on -the-go capture tool. For me the key to mind sweep initially was only 1 thought or idea or to do on a pice of paper. That's why I liked using the backs of paper that I had already used. I ended up with a huge stack. I don't remember how many but it was in the multiple hundreds for sure and probably approaching a thousand or more. Then I did a sort. I did it on a big table but any large flat surface works. Pick up one note. Read it again. Ask the primary question "What is it?" Then ask is it actionable? If it's not something that you need to keep or if upon reflection you think it's junk then toss the note in the trash. If it's something related to a project you are working on start a pile for all things related to that project. If it's something related to a project you want to do someday put it in a pile of someday/maybe things. Do that for every single note. You will end up with many different piles of individual notes but you wil have sorted them out into trash, later and (potentially) now roughly sorted by project.

Take all the notes that you said were for later and put them in an envelope and mark it with a date not more than a week or 2 in the future when you will look at them again and file the envelope so you will see it at that date. That is your someday/maybe list and a pile of notes is probably good enough for now.

Sort the do now ones into their projects, decide if there are duplicates, and decide what is the outcome or goal of each project. Now is when you might want to go digital but you could also just take a regular size piece of paper and write the name of the project on it That's the start of your project list. Look at all the notes you made about that project and decide what is the very next thing you can do on that project or next things if there are several things that can be done without something else being finished. Those become your next actions. As you pick out those notes write on them, maybe in a different color, what you need to do, or have or the place you need to be to do that individual action. Those words or things or places will become your contexts. You can keep those lists on paper, enter them into a digital system or any number of ways to organize them but the key is you are making progress.

Once you do that the first time, and it's likely to take a long time,. My initial mind sweep took many hours. The organization into my first GTD system took a week or more as I only worked on the piles of project notes one pile at a time for an hour or 2 a day over the course of a week or longer. It's been years now but I kept a journal and looking back I see that I spent over 10 hours total doing my initial mind sweep, generated several hundred someday maybe projects and had a "short" list of over 100 I felt I had to work on right now. Over time I've gotten it down to now when I typically have about 60 current active projects and then nearly a thousand waiting in the wings. I may never get to them but my mind won't let them go completely either. So they stay on someday/maybe lists.

Next week. do the smae thing but try to limit it a bit. Do a mind sweep onto note paper or digital, put the someday ones away and clean upand organize the do now ones.

I have my system set so I can quickly see all the tasks on a specific context and so I can go to that place or start that application or have a meeting with that person and get everything done related to that context at one time. Thats more efficient and I know I am moving many projects forward when I do that.

Personal Knowledge Management Since everyone thinks differently and likes different ways of interacting with the data they need it has to be Personal as in fits you. Knowledge because it needs to support making mere facts into actionable stuff that helps you do whatever it is you want to do. Management because all systems need some care and feeding and you have to make time to manage your stuff in a way that fits you, i.e. manage them.

Wen you are first getting started it is REALLY helpful to take the time, and it can be a LOT of time, to do a full complete mindsweep. Until you do your brain will be churning at the things you did not capture yet and you will still feel like you haven't done it right. After that you can transition to capturing all the time. Plus, as overwhelming as it will seem to see everything that is on your mind there is also a relief at getting it all out.

That's a good sign IMO. THAT is when you activate the capture on the go. Just because you have all those thoughts and things to do and stuff doesn't mean you have to act on them now or do them now. But you do need a way to capture them and then later decide whether they are worth saving for later, tossing in the trash, adding to an already existing project or creating a new active project.

I am now entirely digital, I used to use Omnifocus but now I've moved to Obsidian. But when OI started GTD I was on other systems and the most freeing thing I did was do a really complete mind sweep at the beginning. I like a small daily calendar that is about 1/4 the size of a sheep of paper. I save them and use them as temporary notes. I also use cheap 3x5 spiral bound notebooks as my on -the-go capture tool. For me the key to mind sweep initially was only 1 thought or idea or to do on a pice of paper. That's why I liked using the backs of paper that I had already used. I ended up with a huge stack. I don't remember how many but it was in the multiple hundreds for sure and probably approaching a thousand or more. Then I did a sort. I did it on a big table but any large flat surface works. Pick up one note. Read it again. Ask the primary question "What is it?" Then ask is it actionable? If it's not something that you need to keep or if upon reflection you think it's junk then toss the note in the trash. If it's something related to a project you are working on start a pile for all things related to that project. If it's something related to a project you want to do someday put it in a pile of someday/maybe things. Do that for every single note. You will end up with many different piles of individual notes but you wil have sorted them out into trash, later and (potentially) now roughly sorted by project.

Take all the notes that you said were for later and put them in an envelope and mark it with a date not more than a week or 2 in the future when you will look at them again and file the envelope so you will see it at that date. That is your someday/maybe list and a pile of notes is probably good enough for now.

Sort the do now ones into their projects, decide if there are duplicates, and decide what is the outcome or goal of each project. Now is when you might want to go digital but you could also just take a regular size piece of paper and write the name of the project on it That's the start of your project list. Look at all the notes you made about that project and decide what is the very next thing you can do on that project or next things if there are several things that can be done without something else being finished. Those become your next actions. As you pick out those notes write on them, maybe in a different color, what you need to do, or have or the place you need to be to do that individual action. Those words or things or places will become your contexts. You can keep those lists on paper, enter them into a digital system or any number of ways to organize them but the key is you are making progress.

Once you do that the first time, and it's likely to take a long time,. My initial mind sweep took many hours. The organization into my first GTD system took a week or more as I only worked on the piles of project notes one pile at a time for an hour or 2 a day over the course of a week or longer. It's been years now but I kept a journal and looking back I see that I spent over 10 hours total doing my initial mind sweep, generated several hundred someday maybe projects and had a "short" list of over 100 I felt I had to work on right now. Over time I've gotten it down to now when I typically have about 60 current active projects and then nearly a thousand waiting in the wings. I may never get to them but my mind won't let them go completely either. So they stay on someday/maybe lists.

Next week. do the smae thing but try to limit it a bit. Do a mind sweep onto note paper or digital, put the someday ones away and clean upand organize the do now ones.

I have my system set so I can quickly see all the tasks on a specific context and so I can go to that place or start that application or have a meeting with that person and get everything done related to that context at one time. Thats more efficient and I know I am moving many projects forward when I do that.

ITM

I was just scanning over your writing.

Im not sure im fully understood with my writing.

For example - I made a mistake trying to do mind sweep in past, then just ended up destroying it in trash.

with words you write here suggestions with myself how to make a someday\maybe list and even do stuff like the mind sweep according to a different system.

I had it allen said - don't need spend more than an hour or two on mind sweep at one time - but I guess it is individual.

Seeing that your type of person who is entirely digital is something that inspires myself - that is what I would strive to do

"Personal Knowledge Management Since everyone thinks differently"

"take the time, and it can be a LOT of time, to do a full complete mindsweep" What in a session sit in? - or over time like other persons @René Lie suggested (which requires awareness of your thoughts which im not sure im so good at

"need a way to capture them and then later decide whether they are worth saving for later," yes I feel like I am poor at capturing

"mall daily calendar that is about 1/4 the size of a sheep of paper" why would make sense have a small calander? wouldn't be harder to write on?

"3x5 spiral bound notebooks" I have a note book, it creates clutter ...

"Take all the notes that you said were for later and put them in an envelope and mark it with a date not more than a week or 2 in the future when you will look at them again and file the envelope so you will see it at that date" :(

ITM

literally right now I was reading this over.

"

"

This is very similar to what I did in past - where I made thread "why does david allen suggest using A5 sheets of paper to capture ideas"

Where what did in past - was read through the mind sweep chapter in about 1hr, where made certain amount A5 sheets which stood out to myself.

Then - when finished that I carried on using A5 sheets to do what wrote "continue to capture everything on your mind literally".

And I ended up creating a large amount of notes A5 in in tray in process of moving house, wrote to @gtdstudente about this - ended up deciding to basically trash all the notes made like a week ago - because the handwriting on them isn't fully illegible for example
Or I am literally writing a note about the same topic or similar topic.
For example to do with organization of my room which is poor.

I really felt like failed at doing the A5 sheet exercise recommended in book - its hard to explain?

what I'm writing about here links to like half a year ago when first read the book ...

STN?

ITM

I could show image I have on my phone.

Where I tried take picture JPEG of the sheets had, before trashed (like a further away image) - maybe makes certain parts visible.

I am surprised that right now even - no one actually ended up responding to your detailed/ throughou (typo) message here?

One of my ideas was to post a new thread in fourm.
to do with main stuff thinking about like certain pieces of allens advice doesn't completely seem to - well I feel like doesn't fully work with myself? For example I myself am just someone with part time job, who has neurological disorder, who never got the best type of grades when finished public schooling.

So I'm like not the typical kind of person which is what maybe the main edition of GTD book updated is aimed at in audience anyone from ages like 16 - 70/80/90 working age before retiring? I had it in my mind that I actually saw something written by allen he thinks that his GTD can be applied to people retiring

What would be points I would write about? is like how would someone like myself benefit from suggested tools written - things like files/folders physical yeah but stuff like stapler scotch tape, rubber bands for example (not sure would have practical application for myself)*1 and what else - what is practical application suppose to be (with someone who is myself - I would think to myself that I don't actually know - If persons X could see a POV of what I do on daily basis certain things tools written wouldn't apply to myself?"

* I am kind of person who doesn't work in office, doesn't have office space work space - key point written by allen

*1 I could maybe make series going over things recommended?

+1 back now - about points about time management... But don't think its worth it- where would basically be saying something - someone like myself basically wouldn't know where to draw the line between doing something such as pranayama spiritual type practices and mantras for example - somethings like spiritual practices (my favourite thing to do)really have nothing to do with GTD - but they do help myself approach GTD material D I E M

@René Lie @Mrs-Polifax @gtdstudente (awaiting response)

D 1

STN and call this P1

Oogiem

Registered
"take the time, and it can be a LOT of time, to do a full complete mindsweep" What in a session sit in? - or over time like other persons @René Lie suggested (which requires awareness of your thoughts which im not sure im so good at
I tried to do it all at once but I needed a break so it ended up over several days.
"need a way to capture them and then later decide whether they are worth saving for later," yes I feel like I am poor at capturing
So start carrying around a notebook and just start writing down anything that strikes your fancy one thought per page.
"mall daily calendar that is about 1/4 the size of a sheep of paper" why would make sense have a small calander? wouldn't be harder to write on?
The calendar is a cartoon that has a one cartoon a day. I use the back sides as scratch paper. We like them for the amusement they provide. Currently we have a Far Side one and a Non Sequitor one. The daily cartoons are ephemeral. I don't care whether I save them or not so as I tear off each day after reading the cartoon I save them for use as scratch paper becaus the backs are nearly free of any printing except perhasp a small quote or a joke of the day.
"3x5 spiral bound notebooks" I have a note book, it creates clutter ...
But What i do is I carry a notebook. Write down the idea or thought, TEAR IT OFF and put the torn off paper in my inbox for processing. I NEVER keep any of these notes in paper form. That's why I use cheap ones that are small, so I don't feel bad destroying the note after I've processed it, either by in the trash, or re-writing it into my digital system and THEN tossing the paper I initially wrote on.

I have notepads like this all through the house with pens nearby. I have on on my bedside table and it's not unusual for me to wake up in the middle of the night and create 30 new notes before I can fall back asleep. I've found I'm more likely to get a good nights rest if I take the time to clear my brain when I wake up in the night.

I tried to do it all at once but I needed a break so it ended up over several days.

So start carrying around a notebook and just start writing down anything that strikes your fancy one thought per page.

The calendar is a cartoon that has a one cartoon a day. I use the back sides as scratch paper. We like them for the amusement they provide. Currently we have a Far Side one and a Non Sequitor one. The daily cartoons are ephemeral. I don't care whether I save them or not so as I tear off each day after reading the cartoon I save them for use as scratch paper becaus the backs are nearly free of any printing except perhasp a small quote or a joke of the day.

But What i do is I carry a notebook. Write down the idea or thought, TEAR IT OFF and put the torn off paper in my inbox for processing. I NEVER keep any of these notes in paper form. That's why I use cheap ones that are small, so I don't feel bad destroying the note after I've processed it, either by in the trash, or re-writing it into my digital system and THEN tossing the paper I initially wrote on.

I have notepads like this all through the house with pens nearby. I have on on my bedside table and it's not unusual for me to wake up in the middle of the night and create 30 new notes before I can fall back asleep. I've found I'm more likely to get a good nights rest if I take the time to clear my brain when I wake up in the night.
Right

Right

Right, I just have regular calendar that doesn't seem so good quality. You refer to we as your family?

Right- thats good idea trying to clear your mind before going to sleep? I wonder how possible come up with 30 different points at end of day? So you actually just tear paper instead of using A5 sheets of lined paper for mind sweep as Allen wrote example could do in the book. Also when you say you put it in trash - you put it in the paper recycling - right? Like how persons @René Lie says he recycles paper.

"What i do is I carry a notebook" maybe I should start doing that- carrying note book everywhere I go e.g. my bag and in house at all times?
STN? :(

Oogiem

Registered
Right, I just have regular calendar that doesn't seem so good quality. You refer to we as your family?
Yes husband and I. In the morning when I am getting my coffee made I look at the joke calendar. A smile at the beginning of the day makes the rest of the day go well.

I also have some wall calendars just so I can look at the month at a glance and the next month But the Calendar that contains the schedule, both of what I have to do in the coming days/weeks/months and what I did the past day s on our NAS synology server and I subscribe to it on all my computers with access locked so I can only do updates when I am in my home wifi area. That's for security reasons.
Right- thats good idea trying to clear your mind before going to sleep? I wonder how possible come up with 30 different points at end of day? So you actually just tear paper instead of using A5 sheets of lined paper for mind sweep as Allen wrote example could do in the book. Also when you say you put it in trash - you put it in the paper recycling - right? Like how persons @René Lie says he recycles paper.
Not before sleep but when I wake up in the middle of the night. Usually because as I am falling asleep I think about any particularly knotty problems I am having and let my subconcious work on them. Invariably if I wake up in the night with my mind racing it's because I have a bunch of possibilities and ideas and options to capture on the problem I set myself when I went to bed. So I capture them and then I can roll over and go back to sleep. I've perfected writing them down in a notebook without the light turned on because that disturbs my husband. I process those notes first thing in the morning because my in the dark handwriting is hard to decipher without knowing the context of what I was thinking of. My notebooks are much smaller than A5 they are 3 inches by 5 inches. No recycling in our county so no, they all go in the trash.

"What i do is I carry a notebook" maybe I should start doing that- carrying note book everywhere I go e.g. my bag and in house at all times?
Yes, I have a belt pouch that I always wear. Farming does not lend itself to a purse or bag and I need my phone at all times. Clip on cases leave the phone exposed to the mud, dirt etc. of a farm so a zip pouch is ideal. I make them myself when they wear out so they are the perfect size for me.I carry a wallet of my own design and it includes space for a small 3 x 5 notebook. I put a small space pen in as well so I always have something to write with. My belt pouch is balanced on the other side by my Leatherman multi-tool, another farming requirement.

PS.

I've been trying to attach some small pictures btu I can't I keep getting an Error we ran into some problems. I'll try to fix it later.

Last edited:
Yes husband and I. In the morning when I am getting my coffee made I look at the joke calendar. A smile at the beginning of the day makes the rest of the day go well.

I also have some wall calendars just so I can look at the month at a glance and the next month But the Calendar that contains the schedule, both of what I have to do in the coming days/weeks/months and what I did the past day s on our NAS synology server and I subscribe to it on all my computers with access locked so I can only do updates when I am in my home wifi area. That's for security reasons.

Not before sleep but when I wake up in the middle of the night. Usually because as I am falling asleep I think about any particularly knotty problems I am having and let my subconcious work on them. Invariably if I wake up in the night with my mind racing it's because I have a bunch of possibilities and ideas and options to capture on the problem I set myself when I went to bed. So I capture them and then I can roll over and go back to sleep. I've perfected writing them down in a notebook without the light turned on because that disturbs my husband. I process those notes first thing in the morning because my in the dark handwriting is hard to decipher without knowing the context of what I was thinking of. My notebooks are much smaller than A5 they are 3 inches by 5 inches. No recycling in our county so no, they all go in the trash.

Yes, I have a belt pouch that I always wear. Farming does not lend itself to a purse or bag and I need my phone at all times. Clip on cases leave the phone exposed to the mud, dirt etc. of a farm so a zip pouch is ideal. I make them myself when they wear out so they are the perfect size for me.I carry a wallet of my own design and it includes space for a small 3 x 5 notebook. I put a small space pen in as well so I always have something to write with. My belt pouch is balanced on the other side by my Leatherman multi-tool, another farming requirement.

PS.

I've been trying to attach some small pictures btu I can't I keep getting an Error we ran into some problems. I'll try to fix it later.

"I'm personally against using coffee, think has negative effects.

Your saying you have more than one type of wall calendar that you will use in your house?

Oh right - yeah I don't normally try capture my thoughts right before sleeping? O D I? making changes in your lifestyle can improve your sleep. In the past when not been able to sleep up in night - I may have wrote on paper, but don't really do that anymore
What do you mean there's no recycling in your county - what? You probably from USA and live in county which has laws against recycling? That's out rageous. F O M N ....
Yeah - I also try to avoid bright nights in night.

Instead of a belt pouch I just carry a rucksack mostly everywhere? your writing about farming and some kind of phone wallet.

P.S.
I also had problem error trying upload JPEG to this fourm , I could show you how to do it if you reply here?"

P4 and P5 to go over
STN

PS.

1708285322703.png

ITM for O

when saw your writing about using small note book for - capturing your thoughts, then tearing pieces off and coming back to them.

I started - got a new type of note book small 1/2 a5 size probably.

You can see in pic type of handwriting I have is bad, illegible.

I'm not sure just made this worse writing this? I realised picture is upside down also.

maybe better for me not to use a notebook? " STN

other words - because in this example probably like 50 60 % of the writing is eligible to myself afterwards

I didn't fully cognize your methodology of using note book, tearing it, then revisiting it, so maybe I should when I get more power " STN x2 :(

Oogiem

Registered
ended up deciding to basically trash all the notes made like a week ago - because the handwriting on them isn't fully illegible for example
My handwriting is terrible. That's why I process notes soon after I take them. next day at the worst case
You can see in pic type of handwriting I have is bad, illegible.
Not that bad, once I turned the picture around I could read it fairly easily.

I didn't fully cognize your methodology of using note book, tearing it, then revisiting it
I use my notebooks as quick capture, then they go into my inbox and get processed into my system . The delay helps me weed out the junk.

Y_Lherieau

GTD Connect
Dear GTD

Some exact words
The previous day

I randomly decided , because had voice in my head say: I feel like I need to focus on digital mainly for my GTD journey.
W
“I searched the group different terms such as “ Digital A-Z filing system “ for example and see different posts come up about this topic. [https://forum.gettingthingsdone.com/threads/digital-a-z-files.12435/] Is example of other thread in group where users/persons here actually wrote about (but didn't write the actual method of the ABC filing system and and I couldn't see any other posts on fourm about actual instructions/method for a digital filling system, just looked at one other one and didn't seem like any other threads had titles with "instructions/method or tutorial for example".

One of things myself Tim did in past was try setting up type filing system with folders A-Z trying following web video tutorial on YT - and I had it that I did completely it and try it for a while, then I moved the files/system over to expansion drive, when my last laptop got broken. *while proof reding my writing going over in bold/under line I did a quick internet search [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSnpAnhV2Jo] Is link example - of what myself Tim remember in my mind/memory previously watching on my previous laptop (and followed instructions gave in video.

What were points says in video above:

You manually create 26 separate files/folders in a location on your PC device, each individual file is given a letter capital for each of letters there are in English alphabet.

-This filing system for PC's is effective because of search feature in files on windows - you can go to "documents" and search the name of created file e.g. photos and be able quickly find it or go manually and select P from the 26 ABC files.

Other pointers from video:

1over time files/folders can be very frustrating because they build up (which leads to subfolders and often things get complicated from just creating sub folders which aren't according to a set proper system.
2 When don't have a proper filing system it takes longer to be able to find the file/data you are looking for.
3 ABC method is "simple" but also very powerful.
4 The reason for using letters of the alphabet is because the filing system is actually based - on using windows 10/11 documents search function.

And since I have had my new laptop for what about four five months now- I haven’t been using a proper digital filing system really? And just been doing the traditional thing of “auto saving” files where first recommended place to save them comes up on PC-laptop such as the “desktop” or “one drive desktop” “or one drive photos for print screens on laptop.

And Tim thought to himself: Well this couldn’t hurt, has benefits: if create another thread on Allens forum documenting myself , steps taking to set up a proper “A-z filing system” from when previously used on old laptop.

And then other users could also give me feed back showing my works.

In my memory - what I previously did was use some 2-3min YT tutorial which just said something create a folder “in documents” on your PC, and then create a number of files A - Z for each character letter in alphabet.

And then you Name larger files according to first key words which pop into your head e.g. photo’s you would put under the file letter “P” , will thinking searching words photos and instantly find it in future

“This thread kill two birds with one stone - because act of writing instructions means it could possibility help another web user set up a digital filing system (as I see other post on forum about digital filing system don’t actually seem to have any instructions written really on doing digital filing system - but were talking about the instructions

And writing this right now was also a Q for Tim to finish the tasks written about with other users in his most recent threads to do with stuffs like

His threads titled “house move, no weekly review in 30 days
Or...

And then try to focus when finished those threads on doing things digitally e.g. the thought occurred to Tim - KEY QUESTION*1 why not do the mind sweep exercise (a digital version instead of using A5 paper sheets as suggested in book - in order to prevent one self from creating clutter/mess) That was words in Tim's head which came back to himself.

"
1 WH “documents paste over # -was when writing about thought that wouldn’t hurt for me - to cut over all documents from my “one drive documents - where realised now they are all automatically saved on new windows 11 type laptop (instead of …

And note worries
Description of some app - worries about PC else 45? #when writing above that - my windows 11 seems to use automatically “onedrive” to back up files and I am not sure myself Tim actually like this, because the way that my files were on the “one drive” we just in regular type saving system with “one drive desktop” and “one drive documents” looking totally cluttered - but Didn’t Allen write something in his book also at same time that he recommends using something a digital filling system, types of digital programs or software for transferring/sorting files - so maybe people/persons on forums here would be able give me advice because I am not sure myself I actual like OneDrive online software that much, that could be better different option, as the free version at least doesn’t seem give that much storage space.

What about Drop box - that was something maybe got a product key with new laptop product? Is drop box better?
"

"

Note​

#note
C:\Users\TimBo\Documents found

By going through this PC users

OalWXsxGEtdxrr065cUv4zTbn_EI5MLgFba63QsLIRBcipk8N_PTQWZ_IU_qYbfZG87OVJoNgYdTBxTK5UrYAUC3I-In76DLH-KNHQnoStpLO5clhjyeoxbg508YgpJtst73kXhWYv1AwlIlfzrhDfAyEgDSJHeQh5r4QkxD5WJsMf1rHSRGoGrOoJJ7SQ

Myself Tim was able to find the proper “documents” file on my laptop PC looking maybe few mins (which I preferred to use with previous laptop), with new laptop my documents created we all going to “desktop” or “documents” One drive saved version.
*The print screen shows that I had to find “documents” my going to files and my username “tim” manually - which first time I did since getting new PC, didn’t figure out how to find “documents” since trying now.

bsPX_R1pzV-ILj00ItibE1jVu-yxMKhXXLoR5jJrn4-10U-nY0wI7_Y02nttzGay98jEz6NKm4Pi9R1e6Igq2-FerDrujA_rTdpktPiehS4cyhkKgdtU38_q4c8u1QlMp1WdORn51SeryrcbgOItewpIAfcTb76cMhJ6H_KbvJJgIIhwcSwf0AazcRs4Ow

Print screen shows that when I go on home screen “desktop” in documents on my PC - it shows desktop documents which are one drive version.
"

Quote 3

"
mentioning ideas : downloaded certain software's Notepad+ user gave recommendation as text editor but didn't like (just have it staying here on my laptop?) or software's "audacity" or "balaboka for audio files" I have used for uploading posts on social media channels - And myself Tim have ideas/visions that I should try upload type content about GTD (when I feel like have become better at it) and maybe link the GTD website here for help been able receive so far?

@gtdstudente @Mrs-Polifax @jwsamuel maybe also - examples of users in my most recent notfications. Looking for answers to all questions in this post chronically - feedback focused on the key question would be most wanted from myself

Questions - does using a digital filling system on PC also wholistically help with things such as CPU or computer speed performance (if having lots unsaved files(not filed away) or duplicates can slow speed a certain amount
How should I make decision whether to keep or delete certain programmes which I have downloaded on my PC which I haven't used for a while, or don't use much at all? "STACTP

Y_Lherieau

GTD Connect
To the point of Desktop - In managing the organization of my desktop, I leverage a tool named Fences, developed by Objectdock. This application allows me to segment my desktop into various categorized sections, known as "fences", to streamline my workflow and keep essential files and shortcuts within easy reach.

At the top of my desktop, I've established a fence named 'IN'. This serves as my digital inbox, a designated area where files, especially those attached to emails that require further action or inclusion in my Getting Things Done (GTD) workflow, are temporarily stored. It acts as a holding pen for items awaiting processing and categorization.

Directly below the 'IN' fence, there's another called 'AOF' (Areas of Focus). This space is reserved for shortcuts to key documents and resources that are actively in use for managing my areas of focus. It's a strategic repository that helps me maintain quick access to strategic files currently in motion.

Beyond these GTD-oriented fences, I've also created additional sections for different purposes, such as a dedicated fence for my most frequently used application shortcuts. This flexibility allows for a tailored desktop environment that supports my unique workflow and preferences.

One of the standout features of Fences is the ability to designate a default fence. This default area automatically houses any file dragged onto the desktop, ensuring that new items don't clutter my workspace and are instead organized according to my predefined system. They land into IN.

Moreover, Fences offers an exceptional feature for maintaining privacy and minimizing distractions during screen sharing sessions, such as those conducted over a Visio call. With a simple double-click anywhere on the desktop, I can temporarily hide all fences, presenting a clean and uncluttered screen to viewers. A second double-click swiftly restores the fences, bringing my organized desktop back into view.

This application has transformed the way I manage my digital workspace, providing not just an organizational system but also enhancing productivity and focus by keeping essential tools and documents at my fingertips while maintaining a tidy and visually appealing desktop.