My Written tutorial for the Digital file folder ABC system/method (By simpletivity on youtube) for PC's and more questions about using digital forGTD

My handwriting is terrible. That's why I process notes soon after I take them. next day at the worst case

Not that bad, once I turned the picture around I could read it fairly easily.

I use my notebooks as quick capture, then they go into my inbox and get processed into my system . The delay helps me weed out the junk.

Thanks for getting back prompt.

1708520304657.png

This is maybe out of context? one questions literally wrote down.
reads "how would it be better for myself to take this notebook in my backpack while exercising (e.g. walking/running/cycling).

I don't understand- wouldn't it be better just to leave it on my desk for example?

Becuase while you are exercising - not going be able do something like write or use the note with a pen at same time, but have to after stopped
And its like - I have my smart phone apple with notes app which I can just keep in my pocket more convenient.

So this pointer note which show in very small notebook style 3x5cm - can just go in trash after written this?

Doesn't need go envelope and looked at later like you wrote , haven't tried that, but could try doing that after this."

My handwriting is terrible. That's why I process notes soon after I take them. next day at the worst case

I use my notebooks as quick capture, then they go into my inbox and get processed into my system . The delay helps me weed out the junk.
"Okay I could also try that- try processing my handwriting soon after writing?
instead of trying to improve my handwriting for example? "

To the point of Desktop - In managing the organization of my desktop, I leverage a tool named Fences, developed by Objectdock. This application allows me to segment my desktop into various categorized sections, known as "fences", to streamline my workflow and keep essential files and shortcuts within easy reach.

At the top of my desktop, I've established a fence named 'IN'. This serves as my digital inbox, a designated area where files, especially those attached to emails that require further action or inclusion in my Getting Things Done (GTD) workflow, are temporarily stored. It acts as a holding pen for items awaiting processing and categorization.

Directly below the 'IN' fence, there's another called 'AOF' (Areas of Focus). This space is reserved for shortcuts to key documents and resources that are actively in use for managing my areas of focus. It's a strategic repository that helps me maintain quick access to strategic files currently in motion.

Beyond these GTD-oriented fences, I've also created additional sections for different purposes, such as a dedicated fence for my most frequently used application shortcuts. This flexibility allows for a tailored desktop environment that supports my unique workflow and preferences.

One of the standout features of Fences is the ability to designate a default fence. This default area automatically houses any file dragged onto the desktop, ensuring that new items don't clutter my workspace and are instead organized according to my predefined system. They land into IN.

Moreover, Fences offers an exceptional feature for maintaining privacy and minimizing distractions during screen sharing sessions, such as those conducted over a Visio call. With a simple double-click anywhere on the desktop, I can temporarily hide all fences, presenting a clean and uncluttered screen to viewers. A second double-click swiftly restores the fences, bringing my organized desktop back into view.

This application has transformed the way I manage my digital workspace, providing not just an organizational system but also enhancing productivity and focus by keeping essential tools and documents at my fingertips while maintaining a tidy and visually appealing desktop.
ITM

"you must have read some of this previous post.
where shared - put my desktop into 1 folder in the ABC filling system and just left it how it was untidy up to now - did you see my writing or print screen showing that I wonder?

Because you are recommending some kind of tools/application to help organize digitally which I could try?
You writing they create an "inbox" on PC, like a digital inbox I have in room like persons @gtdstudente suggested?

I will have to read over you post here"

Oh sorry - short term... Well, writing things down could still be helpful, right? Myself, I find that when things get busy, I have trouble remembering - and love having the ability to capture quick notes about things I have to remember. They go into Asana (my list manager) on my mind sweep list, for later processing (or 'clarifying').

To me, The Brain seems like a PKM (personal knowledge management) system for stuff with a longer life span, much like I use Notion and others use Obsidian. Regarding the trigger list, I would look at that, maybe say them out loud. If nothing comes up - move on - and if something is triggered - write it down. When ready for processing, use the Clarifying model to clarify and organize.

At this point, I would advice you to keep the tools as simple as possible, so that they don't become an obstacle in your workflow.
Notepad is an app in Windows, the simplest text editor there is...

Crucial Learning is the company that made the new GTD course (among other courses). Here's a link to the on-demand course:
GTD on-demand
(I see now that the price is $270)

I'm a simple guy, always looking for the tools that are easy to use...

hey rene,

one this showed before was type of 10£/$ guide for asana on the website.

I tried downloading asana.

- see there is a type paid subscription 10£ a month "professional".

Do you know is the guide on the website for the free version off Asana ?

Please help

:(

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
hey rene,

Please help

You can use Asana without a subscription! There are certain features you won't get, but nothing you need to set up a functional GTD system.

The setup guide from David Allen Company costs about 10 dollars - unless you are a paying member on GTD Connect - then it's included.

Last edited:

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
hey rene,

Please help

Oh, I may have misread your post...

Yes, the setup guide is for the free version of Asana!

Oh, I may have misread your post...

Yes, the setup guide is for the free version of Asana!
Thanks -

So in the set up guide there are absolutely no features/instructions written related to the subscription version?
it is entirely for the free version?
And doesn't give details about how to work with subscription features, whatever they are?

I was just wandering because if so- seems like is worth while?

But if it was something the guide content in it is about features/details to do with subscription version mainly - then I wouldn't be so sure about trying it?
because I am unsuccessful "

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
Thanks -

So in the set up guide there are absolutely no features/instructions written related to the subscription version?
it is entirely for the free version?
And doesn't give details about how to work with subscription features, whatever they are?

I was just wandering because if so- seems like is worth while?

But if it was something the guide content in it is about features/details to do with subscription version mainly - then I wouldn't be so sure about trying it?
because I am unsuccessful "
It's all based on the free version!

I have been using the free version of Asana since 2019 and still do, and it's working just fine!

Last edited:
It's all based on the free version!

I have been using the free version of Asana since 2019 and still do, and it's working just fine!

Does the GTD guide - it takes it from the most basic level?

You don't need have background knowledge of Asana?
Because I was just looking in application

Should I maybe - look some tutorial before starting this guide about the features?

I looked at the sample PDF, says it is 36 pages long
I should go over the sample first PDF before buying"

STN

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
Does the GTD guide - it takes it from the most basic level?

You don't need have background knowledge of Asana?
Because I was just looking in application

Should I maybe - look some tutorial before starting this guide about the features?

I looked at the sample PDF, says it is 36 pages long
I should go over the sample first PDF before buying"

STN
Well, you have to decide whether or not to buy the guide, but it takes you step by step all the way through - no need for prior experience with Asana!

Well, you have to decide whether or not to buy the guide, but it takes you step by step all the way through - no need for prior experience with Asana!

I ended up purchasing the digital guide with pay pal converted currency.

the full guide has different first pages to sample.

I also noticed - that this version of the guid - doesn't actually show demonstration images JPEGs - for the up to date version of Asana, so - for certain things I was doing took me longer to find out the button/setting with different interface layout - and they have changed certain things so Im not sure 100% everything options/buttons are included *1

I made mistake - where *because when first used Asana I was just interacting with it - making new projects* Then with the instructions I made more new projects according to the GTD suggestions. Then after that thought - probably best make the GTD project headings as in guide - Alone under "one work space".

Yeah - I was just sort of scanning/speeding reading going through the PDF one time (trying following instructions while reading it) and will prob have to go over another more thorough time, - try make some more detailed notes.

*1 I was thinking reason for this is probably because GTD company prob just haven't updated since creating this digital download - maybe if someone like myself brought this to awareness they could update the PDF so is up to date with latest upgraded version of Asana?

I was thinking ... STN R

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
Yeah, there may be some differences, software change, and it's hard to keep up...

If there's something you're not able to figure out, try a Google search first, and if that doesn't help, you could post a question in this forum!

Sorry, not able to understand all your abbreviations, don't know what STN R means...

Yeah, there may be some differences, software change, and it's hard to keep up...

If there's something you're not able to figure out, try a Google search first, and if that doesn't help, you could post a question in this forum!

Sorry, not able to understand all your abbreviations, don't know what STN R means...
"You don't think someone who works for Allen would be able to update the pictures?
I had thought maybe I should ask to do it voluntary? Is that possible?

"something you're not able to figure out, try a Google search first," - Yeah I had tried that, see that on the Asana website they have type articles.

" not able to understand all your abbreviations" I'm just literally writing the prefixes of words in my head (which feel maybe aren't appropriate to include because I have schizophrenia - but at same time writing the prefix- makes me think of my own thinking (e.g. if I am missing something because of short term memory being impaired before post the post.

STN simple stood for Send This Now :( "

ITM Rene x2

"
see didn't get back straight away so maybe don't know answer question asked here - if it would be possible for myself to voluntary update this Asana PDF and asked the david allen GTD team, maybe tagged a staff like @DavidAllen or @davidcoforum maybe? If I asked kindly? Would that be possible?

What else? was this literally: from yesterday when first downloaded the GTD Asana I ended up saving multiple copies - maybe 5 copies on my laptop for reference.

Because when was going through it first time yesterday in preferred Microsoft edge free.

1709062064184.png

"Well this print screen shows extract of this - in wps editor actually.

But I went through it first once Microsoft edge, then exited tabs - and next day see that it didn't save (because I forgot to press Save as in the browser instead of "save" - always need to do that first one time for all docs in Microsoft edge?

I wrote while reading W.P. prefix - to represent "worth picture?" (with print screen?) - when see certain key diagrams or extracts/headings which also seen before in past e.g. in the book - which thought these are things I need to have visual reminders for.

Similar to something like other users can't remember name off now exactly?
other user @gtdstudente - printed off extract he suggested.
and there was another going a while back in one type thread made a while ago (titled why does allen recommend using a5 pieces of paper for mind sweep I believe. I don't believe it was @cfoley , think it was other user- maybe I will need to check if see persons reply here - but doesn't then address this within 24 hours?"

STN

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
see didn't get back straight away so maybe don't know answer question asked here - if it would be possible for myself to voluntary update this Asana PDF and asked the david allen GTD team, maybe tagged a staff like @DavidAllen or @davidcoforum maybe? If I asked kindly? Would that be possible?
Sure, you could always ask or send a proposal. I know that Kelly Forrister made this guide and that she no longer works with DAC, so maybe the guides are less frequently updated now. But anyway, at least you could create an updated guide for your own use!

A quick comment regarding day specific information - as you wrote "not you", this is supposed to be any information specific for the day in question, that has potential value for you. Other examples: Someone's birthday, co-worker is out of office (can be nice to know), your favorite band's in town (in case you would like to go) etc.

Sure, you could always ask or send a proposal. I know that Kelly Forrister made this guide and that she no longer works with DAC, so maybe the guides are less frequently updated now. But anyway, at least you could create an updated guide for your own use!

A quick comment regarding day specific information - as you wrote "not you", this is supposed to be any information specific for the day in question, that has potential value for you. Other examples: Someone's birthday, co-worker is out of office (can be nice to know), your favorite band's in town (in case you would like to go) etc.

"pecific for the day in question, that has potential value for you."
Oh right you paid attention to my print screen drawing note.

I think maybe I need to first sort myself out with GTD - setting up system foundation first tho"

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
"pecific for the day in question, that has potential value for you."
Oh right you paid attention to my print screen drawing note.

I think maybe I need to first sort myself out with GTD - setting up system foundation first tho"
Sounds like a great idea! :)

ITM

"I searched to find your last post where you interacted with me.

Because one of the things which happened - , had one last ideas you said - is about idea of literally using type note sheet envelopes cutting pieces of paper off (type very small note book or stick note).

says - put them in envelope and review at weekly review.

well today was end of week.

and ended up doing that - cutting off pieces of paper which wrote in note book (which had over 2 weeks maybe since using yourself write that.

had different things (not full eligible readable, jotters on lined paper.

maybe over certain periods e.g. some stuff 2 days ago 5 days ago 7 days ago maybe (writing in periods of time ... I could show picture.

where was trying to use the right hand side - one side of each page...

so I have maybe 5 sets of notes put together with paper clip in type of envelope.

the next actions would be - taking picture.

then discarding/binning these envelopes.

Overall I think what would be better for myself would be to try to focus entirely using Asana with persons @René Lie suggesting

STN 1

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
ITM

"I searched to find your last post where you interacted with me.

Because one of the things which happened - , had one last ideas you said - is about idea of literally using type note sheet envelopes cutting pieces of paper off (type very small note book or stick note).

says - put them in envelope and review at weekly review.

well today was end of week.

and ended up doing that - cutting off pieces of paper which wrote in note book (which had over 2 weeks maybe since using yourself write that.

had different things (not full eligible readable, jotters on lined paper.

maybe over certain periods e.g. some stuff 2 days ago 5 days ago 7 days ago maybe (writing in periods of time ... I could show picture.

where was trying to use the right hand side - one side of each page...

so I have maybe 5 sets of notes put together with paper clip in type of envelope.

the next actions would be - taking picture.

then discarding/binning these envelopes.

Overall I think what would be better for myself would be to try to focus entirely using Asana with persons @René Lie suggesting

STN 1
My personal advice would be to try to keep as Simple as possible in order to work the methodology (through you system) with the least amount of effort!