New look for Davidco.com and GTD|Connect.com

tabinfl

Registered
Also, just tried to edit that last post (which lost its line break / paragraph formatting) to correct typo, and the text box that came up was empty instead of having my post content in it.

tabinfl

Registered
One more: in the latest activity list (the real one), along with the orange being hard to read, it would be much clearer to have the thread/topic title a bolded and the forum name not -- the topic is what I want to aee at a glance, I'm not as concerned with which forum it's in.

mcogilvie

Registered
RCL said:
I love the new site visually, so a big "Bravo!" there. And I especially like how nicely it renders on iPad and even my little iPhone. Huge improvement. I've only been reading so I can't comment on bugs at this point. I'll send this along as a suggestion by e-mail: A nice touch in iOS would be the addition of a polished icon when you use the "Add to Home Screen" button. Many sites do this.
Wow, I'm up to date on ios and it's not so good on iPad, but haven't checked iPhone. I was fine with the old site. Could you elaborate?

TesTeq

Registered
Barb said:
Aw, c'mon. You have to know the team will be working night and day to get all this fixed. Who among us hasn't had some kind of glitchy upgrade--tested or not? Just sayin'.....

I appreciate the effort of the DAC team but when I imagine that for example our cars are more and more software dependent I am scared. You go to your garage because you want to drive your crying child to the hospital and your car says "New software installed. You have no access because your certificate is invalid. Call our support line 555 123 4567". You call them and they say that they know there's a problem and working 7/24 to fix it. Does it satisfy you? It is your car, you paid for it and haven't ordered any software upgrades because everything worked perfectly until this morning. :-(

SiobhanBR

Registered
For the record, I liked the look and feel of the old site better, but that might just me being resistant to change. And I love orange, so it isn't that! I'm finding that this version is taking up a lot more space, but maybe that's a compromise so it looks better on mobile devices, which I don't use to access the site. I am rather annoyed that I have to log in two times (with different user names) in order to get to the forums - I used to be able to just open my browser and you'd remember me. I tried the linking described earlier yesterday but it didn't hold over to today. I'll try to be patient while this all gets worked out.

Mark Jantzen

Registered
I'm still running into potholes transitioning to the new site. On a desktop browser (IE in Windows 7 or Safari in OS X Mavericks) I cannot post to the forums. I'm writing this post in iOS from the 1Password browser. The problem posting is the text box does not respond to mouse click or typing. Little bug with big implications. Hopefully someone is investigating. Logging into the site was really confusing. I had to go back to the archives to find my DAC forum credentials so I could get into the Forums. It was so long ago I'd forgotten those days. I was too used to a single log-in.

ArcCaster

Registered
Orange grabs my eye -- construction workers and runners on the side of the road are easily seen and avoided when they wear orange -- errant arrows in the grass with orange fletchings are easily found -- swimmers lost overboard wearing orange vests are more easily found. However, this web site is not well served by the color orange. Please pick a less eye-grabbing color.

ArcCaster

Registered
For me, the top-level menu is white text on a light grey background: almost unreadable. But, if I lean in to my computer, I can see that it is somewhere around 18 items long, and is formatted in a long list that covers two screens (and, of course, requires additional mouse clicks or scrolling). My suggestion is reformat it into a few categories, each containing fewer than 9 items, and format it to fit onto a single screen.

JerseyDoug

Registered
Barb said:
Site and forums look beautiful on my iPad!
Well, they look nice but are not very functional for me. I just spent 5 minutes in another thread trying to quote and then respond. Nada. Seems to have worked in the present instance. Afraid it's not ready for prime time based on my experience today. I'll give it try on my mac. Hope that works.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
SiobhanBR said:
For the record, I liked the look and feel of the old site better, but that might just me being resistant to change. And I love orange, so it isn't that! I'm finding that this version is taking up a lot more space, but maybe that's a compromise so it looks better on mobile devices, which I don't use to access the site. I am rather annoyed that I have to log in two times (with different user names) in order to get to the forums - I used to be able to just open my browser and you'd remember me. I tried the linking described earlier yesterday but it didn't hold over to today. I'll try to be patient while this all gets worked out.
Hi Siobhan, the login is a top priority, along with bugs that are keeping people from posting. I wish I could say it will get sorted out this weekend. Realistically, it's more likely to be early in the coming week before we see big improvements.

JerseyDoug

Registered
Ok, seems to have worked on the mac. I check back in a couple of weeks, but I am not liking the new site, sorry. Much less user friendly.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
ArcCaster said:
For me, the top-level menu is white text on a light grey background: almost unreadable. But, if I lean in to my computer, I can see that it is somewhere around 18 items long, and is formatted in a long list that covers two screens (and, of course, requires additional mouse clicks or scrolling). My suggestion is reformat it into a few categories, each containing fewer than 9 items, and format it to fit onto a single screen.
Rob, is it possible that the page has not fully loaded? I see exactly what you are describing for a fraction of a second just before the page finishes loading. Then the menu lands on a dark background, all on one line. At the moment I'm using Safari on an older iPad.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
JerseyDoug said:
Ok, seems to have worked on the mac. I check back in a couple of weeks, but I am not liking the new site, sorry. Much less user friendly.
Hi JerseyDoug, thanks for posting, and a question for you. Is it primarily the forum you're not liking as well, or the new site as a whole? Based on feedback, and my own experience, the forum is where user-friendliness needs the most improvement asap.

David Parker

GTD Connect
Great new layout but glad I came here a couple of days after the launch when a few of the teething problems have been sorted. Kelly used to do a webinar to walk people round the GTD Connect site. It would be great if that was updated so we don't miss out on all the good stuff there is for Connect members.

Best wishes
David

JerseyDoug

Registered
And,I really don't like this comment function. That is just going to be confusing for someone trying to follow the thought flow through a thread.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Yes, we'll definitely do an updated tour. I'm focused on getting the forum issues resolved first, but will get a new tour posted soon.