Next level, Nirvana, Area of Focus, complementary guide

clango

Registered
I decided to move away from toodledo after 8 years.
Looking around in this forum I choose Nirvana as the next step. Thanks to your solid fundamentals! ;)
I'm finding Nirvana extremely useful, for its great simplicity and I'm grateful to the Nirvana team because it help me to optimize further my approach to the GTD method.:)
That's said I bought The Nirvana GTD Guide by the shop and I ask if possible a complimentary guide.
This year I choose 10 Area of Focus as the most important for me.
I'd like to have with me, as often as it is possible to focus or re-orient my focus.
I didn't find any recommendation in the guide so my question is: Where would you keep this top list ?
These are main focus.
One of them as an example: "I keep my attention on nutrition, physical fitness and fun".
This focus obviously will generate projects along the year but it is the driving focus where I would like to stay.
Is there Areas of Nirvana the right place or simply they should stay in the weekly review check list?
At the first beginning I put them in the projects list but I understood it isn't the right place.

David Parker

GTD Connect
The Areas of Focus are the Areas that Nirvana lists using the dropdown All Areas immediately to the right of the name Nirvana.

By defailt they are set to Personal and Work.

if you click on the All Areas dropdown, then right at the bottom you'll see Manage Areas. Click on this and you'll get the Manage Tags screen. Make sure you have Areas selected and you can add a new Area "Nutrition, physical fitness and fun" split it into three.

Then you need to think about Projects to achieve that focus.

David

clango

Registered
The Areas of Focus are the Areas that Nirvana lists using the dropdown All Areas immediately to the right of the name Nirvana.
(...)
Make sure you have Areas selected and you can add a new Area "Nutrition, physical fitness and fun" split it into three.

Then you need to think about Projects to achieve that focus.

David

Nice to meet you David and thank you.

Do you use Nirvana? How many areas do you have?

I thought the same but it seems to be a little tricky have too many areas.

Also remember to change areas every time I'd work on Projects and Next Actions
seems to be a little intricate with ten or more Focus if I split them.

What do you think if I would keep this list at the top of Reference, introducing its review during the weekly review?

David Parker

GTD Connect
I have used Nirvana but now use Todoist but I'm happy to help you with Nirvana.

I currently have 18 Areas of Focus but all are Personal as I am now retired. Seems a lot but some are more active than others.

Although I'm aware of the Areas of Focus at the Weekly Review, I work down the Weekly Review Checklist as follows:

GET CLEAR

1. Collect any loose items
2. Get in-trays to zero
3. Empty my head

GET CURRENT

1. Review Next Actions Lists
2. Review Previous Calendar Data (the last week)
3. Review Upcoming Calendar (next four weeks)
4. Review Waiting For List
5. Review Project List, Areas of Focus, etc.
6. Review Any Relevant Checklists

GET CREATIVE

1. Review Someday/Maybe
2. What ideas do I want to add to my system?

At any point in this I may need to refer to my Areas of Focus. All my Projects are listed against each Area of Focus

To answer your point about where to keep your Areas of Focus, if you set up the Areas in Nirvana as suggested then they'll be easy to see. If you group your Projects under each Area, then it will be easy to see what's in each Area by selecting each Area from the All Areas dropdown. There's no need to have it in Reference unless yiou want it there as a reminder.

David