Nirvana HQ

David Weaver

Registered
I was a HUGE fan of Things 3 when I was using an iPhone and Mac guy, but once I ended up primarily Windows at work, and eventually an Android phone, I found that Nirvana was the closest thing to the Things structure (like repeating tasks that fire off an instance of the task rather than the actual repeating one).

That being said, there are a few things that are important to me that it's lacking.

1. Alerts. I only need them sparingly but unfortunately find myself using google assistant or siri now to set reminders when I'd rather have everything in Nirvana (same with location alerts).
2. Recurring vs repeating tasks. I want the option for a task to recur after the previous has been completed. Like calling a friend after a month, starting when I last called them.
3. Ability to add a task with my voice via Siri or Google Assistant. In Things I could say "Hey Siri, using Things, remind me to call bob tomorrow". Also Nirvana doesn't show up in the standard sharing list of apps, so I'm forced to share to it using the email method.
4 Dark Theme please!

You're right about the glacial pace of updates. I appreciate when a company doesn't want to just throw things out there and potentially create unstable apps... but Nirvana is definitely the polar opposite in that regard. When I asked about the about feature requests, the reply for all was "not even on our radar". Do they HAVE a radar?

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
I was a HUGE fan of Things 3 when I was using an iPhone and Mac guy, but once I ended up primarily Windows at work, and eventually an Android phone, I found that Nirvana was the closest thing to the Things structure (like repeating tasks that fire off an instance of the task rather than the actual repeating one).

That being said, there are a few things that are important to me that it's lacking.

1. Alerts. I only need them sparingly but unfortunately find myself using google assistant or siri now to set reminders when I'd rather have everything in Nirvana (same with location alerts).
2. Recurring vs repeating tasks. I want the option for a task to recur after the previous has been completed. Like calling a friend after a month, starting when I last called them.
3. Ability to add a task with my voice via Siri or Google Assistant. In Things I could say "Hey Siri, using Things, remind me to call bob tomorrow". Also Nirvana doesn't show up in the standard sharing list of apps, so I'm forced to share to it using the email method.
4 Dark Theme please!

You're right about the glacial pace of updates. I appreciate when a company doesn't want to just throw things out there and potentially create unstable apps... but Nirvana is definitely the polar opposite in that regard. When I asked about the about feature requests, the reply for all was "not even on our radar". Do they HAVE a radar?
These are all valid and good points. I have a love/hate relationship with Nirvana. I love the simplicity, speed, etc. of their apps. But i HATE the seemingly total lack of upgrading with anything. They are really seriously falling behind on so many fronts. Even I am not sure how much longer I will stay with them.

Mateusz

Registered
I believe their contribution to GTD Summit will bring something for us. From business perspective it would be ridiculous to attend such event as a partner without future plans. Probably there will be a delay but there must be something...

TesTeq

Registered
I believe their contribution to GTD Summit will bring something for us. From business perspective it would be ridiculous to attend such event as a partner without future plans. Probably there will be a delay but there must be something...
I'll ask. There will be also the OmniFocus workshop and the intriguing momentum.earth stand...

rmjb

Registered
I'm a Nirvana user, on year 2 of my annual subscription. I find that the usability has gotten slow. I asked a message to support, got one reply asking for more details, then nothing since.
I love how it is structured, but the slowness is hampering my work flow.
Has anyone overcome a similar experience?

TesTeq

Registered
I'll ask. There will be also the OmniFocus workshop and the intriguing momentum.earth stand...
"Nirvana people have their own pace of app development" - they said to me during the GTD Summit. Probably they didn't want to disclose more because I was hanging around with Michael "Nozbe" Sliwinski. ;)

bcmyers2112

Registered
I have a love/hate relationship with Nirvana. I love the simplicity, speed, etc. of their apps. But i HATE the seemingly total lack of upgrading with anything. They are really seriously falling behind on so many fronts.

I was pretty close to jumping on the Nirvana bandwagon, but this is exactly what has held me back from making the leap.

Longstreet

I had really good discussions with the Nirvana team at the #gtdsummit #2019 in Amsterdam. They are listening to feedback and I personally am very happy with the product.
Me too. My concerns are gone. They were a major supporter of the Summit and there in force with a booth. They simply do not add on bells and whistles like other apps and make them too complicated. Nirvana is sleek, incredibly fast, wonderful iPhone and Android apps on top of their wonderful web app, and the syncing is flawless and almost immediate after entry. I am staying with Nirvanahq - they are an outstanding GTD system! :):)

bcmyers2112

Registered
They simply do not add on bells and whistles like other apps and make them too complicated.

And if their approach works to you, that's great. For me, certain things -- like being able to support a new iPhone quickly, or integration with Siri and Drafts -- are a bit more than just bells and whistles. And having these things certainly wouldn't make Nirvana "complicated."

I understand that Nirvana is trying to stay in their lane and do things as well as the size of their team allows. And I'm sure for a certain type of user Nirvana is a great fit. I'm not sure it's for me, though. Fortunately, there's a plethora of options out there to suit just about any sensibility.

mcogilvie

Registered
And if their approach works to you, that's great. For me, certain things -- like being able to support a new iPhone quickly, or integration with Siri and Drafts -- are a bit more than just bells and whistles. And having these things certainly wouldn't make Nirvana "complicated."

I understand that Nirvana is trying to stay in their lane and do things as well as the size of their team allows. And I'm sure for a certain type of user Nirvana is a great fit. I'm not sure it's for me, though. Fortunately, there's a plethora of options out there to suit just about any sensibility.

I’m with you on this one. For me, it’s share sheets. It makes getting stuff out of email and browsers and into lists so much easier. So it’s a requirement for me that Nirvana doesn’t meet. Another highly touted iOS app without share sheet import support is Agenda. It exports, but doesn’t import.

Longstreet

Everyone has to use what works for them. I need none of the things you guys mentioned, but obviously you do. I hope you find a fantastic system! For me, Nirvana is a fantastic GTD system.

bcmyers2112

Registered
Everyone has to use what works for them.

Again, it seems we have once again failed to reach a consensus on GTD apps. Perhaps we really do need to have that mud wrestling match to settle this once and for all. Alternatively, a Jell-O wrestling match may be an acceptable substitute.

Or, like @Longstreet, we could take the view that "Everyone has to use what works for them."

Never mind. That's ridiculous. A messy wrestling match it is. @Longstreet, @mcogilvie, @TesTeq -- get your Speedos ready.

Longstreet

Again, it seems we have once again failed to reach a consensus on GTD apps. Perhaps we really do need to have that mud wrestling match to settle this once and for all. Alternatively, a Jell-O wrestling match may be an acceptable substitute.

Or, like @Longstreet, we could take the view that "Everyone has to use what works for them."

Never mind. That's ridiculous. A messy wrestling match it is. @Longstreet, @mcogilvie, @TesTeq -- get your Speedos ready.
:D:D:D

mcogilvie

Registered

I would prefer to do battle as my ancestors did, wearing a kilt with my face and chest painted with woad. How do feel about bagpipes?