Quick Trigger List

topshelf

Registered
Have any of you ever drafted and implemented a "Quick Trigger List"?

I came across this idea after David presented his vision for the "ultimate GTD app" at the most recent GTD Summit. (For anyone interested and with the PDF containing the software plans, I'm referring to page 4.) The PDF can be found here: https://gettingthingsdone.com/2019/07/david-allen-on-the-best-software-for-gtd/.

As part of the Quick Triggers List, David included the triggers:

- Agreements?
- Interactions?
- Events?
- New to-dos?
- Distractions?
- New ideas?

I've been experimenting with a custom Quick Trigger List that I review in place of a formal Daily Review. Most of the things that are typically included in a Daily Review, like checking my calendar, I do naturally without going through a systematized process. A Daily Review Checklist feels like too much. I LOVE checklists, but not when they feel like a Rube Goldberg machine.

For my Quick Trigger List, I've toyed with the following categories:

- Relationship(s).
- Bottleneck(s).
- What has my attention?

I've also thought about including other triggers, such as "Reminders via Due."

What does the community think about a Quick Trigger List that is ideally reviewed at least once a day? I don't want this to be something that I go numb to.

Last edited:

Wilson Ng

Registered
How often do you have to review each of these triggers?

- Agreements?
- Interactions?
- Events?
- New to-dos?
- Distractions?
- New ideas?

These are triggers (except fo for new to-dos) that I review weekly. I don't look at them in a daily review. But you might feel the need to review each on a differing routine basis.

Agreements are something I'll review once a month.
Events are reviewed weekly. I look at the next 2-3 weeks and trigger new projects to next actions ahead of time.
All the others are reviewed weekly, not daily.

But, of course, your needs will be different. If these are triggers that changes on a more frequent basis, consider reviewing them on a shorter interval (once every 1-3 days?). Otherwise, 1 week or more might be more appropriate.

- Relationship(s).
- Bottleneck(s).
- What has my attention?

I don't build new relationships often but will review relationships on a monthly basis. But if I'm in a business where I do a lot of networking, I'd consider doing this review more often.

I do record bottlenecks in a journal but will review them once a week. If a bottleneck exists for over 2 weeks then I'd definitely create a new project or next action to address that.

I use my daily journal to collect thoughts about what has my attention. If I see something that has held my interest for more than a week, I'll create a new project or next action.

My daily reviews don't often have the trigger list. I mostly check my OmniFocus inbox and new messages (Slack, email, social media business accounts) on a daily basis.

In summary, if something changes on a daily basis, review them daily or every other day. Otherwise, it can go into a weekly or monthly review.

topshelf

Registered
How often do you have to review each of these triggers?

Have to? Probably sporadically. But I'm experimenting to see if they are valuable to review daily.

These are triggers (except fo for new to-dos) that I review weekly. I don't look at them in a daily review. But you might feel the need to review each on a differing routine basis.

I have different triggers depending on the review (e.g., Weekly, Monthly, Yearly, etc.).

I do record bottlenecks in a journal but will review them once a week. If a bottleneck exists for over 2 weeks then I'd definitely create a new project or next action to address that.

This is something I'll give more consideration to for some of my bottlenecks. Thanks for the idea!

-

I don't think my Quick Trigger List example was clear enough, which is why it maybe seems like too much. The actual trigger I have for "Relationship(s)?" is my spouse's name. I also include the names of each of my children. And for "Bottleneck(s)?" I am referring to job-specific paperwork.

So it actually looks something more like:

Quick Trigger List
  • Spouse's name?
  • Child's name?
  • Child's name?
  • Paperwork?
  • What has my attention?

topshelf

Registered
Areas of Focus, subdivided are a good trigger list + maintenance/development/risks/opportunities in all these areas.

Yes. That's more or less what this is but reviewed daily. Again, the Quick Trigger List idea comes from David, but I'm sure the frequency of review I have been experimenting with is likely too much. Areas of Focus should likely be reviewed every ~ 6 weeks; at least that's what I have heard recommended from GTD Connect.

topshelf

Registered
I think reviewing the inbox, projects and context lists are enough for me most days.

I do like the idea of having a trigger list with my wife’s name on it, just in case I, you know, forget.

Agreed. A quick calendar review and some time processing "in" to zero is likely enough.

This was an experiment I was trying, but I think not only is it unnecessary but it's easy to go numb to. But my wife liked not being forgotten. ;)

Last edited: