ReMarkable2 - do you use it and how do you like it?

Naomi

Registered
I am considering investing in a ReMarkable 2. I like writing - my brain processes better- and it feels quicker & more effective. Plus, I want to stop using so much paper!!!

If you have tried one, how do you feel about it as a tool on its own, and have you found it beneficial with your GTD system?
Thanks in advance,
Naomi

ivanjay205

Registered
I am considering investing in a ReMarkable 2. I like writing - my brain processes better- and it feels quicker & more effective. Plus, I want to stop using so much paper!!!

If you have tried one, how do you feel about it as a tool on its own, and have you found it beneficial with your GTD system?
Thanks in advance,
Naomi
Just following you along on this, I know that doesnt help lol. I have debated so many times on it. The cost is high, and I love and hate that it only does writing. But I prefer writing my notes and organizing them later in my system so that I can capture what I need not everything. I do have an iPad but the writing on that doesnt feel natural with screen going to sleep etc.

Naomi

Registered
Just following you along on this, I know that doesnt help lol. I have debated so many times on it. The cost is high, and I love and hate that it only does writing. But I prefer writing my notes and organizing them later in my system so that I can capture what I need not everything. I do have an iPad but the writing on that doesnt feel natural with screen going to sleep etc.
Actually, it’s reassuring to know that someone else is at least thinking about the same thing!
I am in a strange situation; been self-employed for 20years, using bits of GTD, and Google, and a LOT of paper. Have now taken employment, Outlook and Microsoft kicking back in; iPhone (having always had Android.) I started with a Mac thinking, hey! Let’s get stuck in and re-wire my brain. After 3 months I asked for a laptop instead!

So, although a ReMarkable could be considered pricey, I am in a position where I can purchase it, and hopefully look a little more professional than trying to use the rubbish work-supplied notebooks (and regain my boss’s faith as he hates paper, is Apple mad, and nearly 15years younger than me)

Let’s see what others think?!

mksilk2

Registered
I like new shiny toys and I succumbed. I bought one quite a while ago. I find it frustrating. I thought it would help me organise my note taking. I like taking notes, it helps me focus in meetings, it helps me track actions and projects that occur during meetings. I thought the RM2 would transform this for me. It doesn’t. I’ve come to the conclusion, for me, there is nothing quite like a nice notepad and good pen. I find it hard to browse notes on the RM, it’s hard finding notes, navigation around documents is hard. It has ended up being an expensive toy, unused on my shelf. Doesn’t mean it might not work for you, but for me, I keep coming back to paper and pen and the ease of moving between pages.

Last edited:

ivanjay205

Registered
I like new shiny toys and I succumbed. I bought one quite a while ago. I find it frustrating. I thought it would help me organise my note taking. I like taking notes, it helps me focus in meetings, it helps me track actions and projects that occur during meetings. I thought the RM2 would transform this for me. It doesn’t. I’ve come to the conclusion, for me, there is nothing quite like a nice notepad and good pen. I find it hard to browse notes on the RM, it’s hard finding notes, navigation around documents is hard. It has ended up being an expensive toy, unused on my shelf. Doesn’t mean it might work not for you, but for me, I keep coming back to paper and pen and the ease of moving between pages.
After seeing the post pop up I started looking at it and saw there is a subscription to sync on devices. I said forget it, let me not go down this rabbit hole again

mcogilvie

Registered
I still think a good tablet is a better, more flexible option. In the early days of the pandemic, I bought an iPad Pro with a Magic Keyboard and an Apple Pen. Pricey but I have never regretted it.

bishblaize

Registered
I like the look of the Remarkables, the issue is that there doesn't seem to be a nice easy workflow for getting stuff in and out of the devices. Import and Export mostly seem to happen via their own software, which means that there's an extra step to everything in both directions. That defeats the object for me, at that point its no quicker than using paper and just scanning the notes into Devonthink. It might be nicer to write on than the iPad, but the iPad can access all my stuff on the fly, so I don't have to worry about getting the stuff on there in advance.

I notice that Amazon have a similar device, which has been panned in reviews for the software, but it does suggest an emerging market. So maybe future devices will get round the sync thing better.

Matth8346

Registered
Have you considered a Rocketbook? I bought an executive sized Fusion a few months ago and I've enjoyed using it. Writing on it is similar to paper - you can try different size FriXion pens to see what feels best. It erases with water very easily.

You use their app to snap a picture of a page and it can be sent to an email address or OneNote, as well as other services. It may be a cheaper option to experiment with at less than $30.

Jinho

Registered

Thanks in advance

I like new shiny toys and I succumbed. I bought one quite a while ago. I find it frustrating. I thought it would help me organise my note taking. I like taking notes, it helps me focus in meetings, it helps me track actions and projects that occur during meetings. I thought the RM2 would transform this for me. It doesn’t. I’ve come to the conclusion, for me, there is nothing quite like a nice notepad and good pen. I find it hard to browse notes on the RM, it’s hard finding notes, navigation around documents is hard. It has ended up being an expensive toy, unused on my shelf. Doesn’t mean it might work not for you, but for me, I keep coming back to paper and pen and the ease of moving between pages.
Also I usually have quite a lot of tasks when it comes to shopping and Remarkable was pretty good for this(planning budgets, etc. Definitely remember taking it to a local hunting store back when I was using it.
Same story, used mine for like 4 weeks, went back to notepad after. Maybe I'm just a tad bit too old to get dragged into all of this tech stuff.

Last edited:

schmeggahead

Registered
I have had the reMarkable2 for about a year now. I have owned an iPad Pro with Apple Pencil since it's original availability. The original was really bad as a random note taker. However, I am on my second iPad Pro 11" (an M1 version). There are key things with the iPad Pro that are miles ahead of the previous ones. 1) you can enable the creation of a note by opening the iPad cover/keyboard, and touching the pencil to the screen allowing immediate writing. 2) the advent of Focus, the iPad can be turned into a dumb writing pad theoretically (I have not done this and I keep loosing automatic Fitness focus on my Apple Watch, so YMMV).

I enjoy writing on the reMarkable2 (it's as distraction free as paper) and enjoy reading US Supreme Court Rulings, etc. I like the battery life and with the recent improvements to the apps on Apple devices, it is much more usable as a note taking device. The service I see more as an app subscription to make the content accessible on my other devices. Good app updates aren't ever free.

I do not use it enough to warrant the price, but I like my toys and I change up often. When at home/office, I much prefer a nice pen and paper on a writing pad.

The reMarkable wins in very bright conditions, fails walking down not well lit hallways or in low light.
Hope all this helps,
Clayton.

Nothing like a new gadget to make me interested in my system or avoid doing anything and still have mind like water.

mcogilvie

Registered
I have had the reMarkable2 for about a year now. I have owned an iPad Pro with Apple Pencil since it's original availability. The original was really bad as a random note taker. However, I am on my second iPad Pro 11" (an M1 version). There are key things with the iPad Pro that are miles ahead of the previous ones. 1) you can enable the creation of a note by opening the iPad cover/keyboard, and touching the pencil to the screen allowing immediate writing. 2) the advent of Focus, the iPad can be turned into a dumb writing pad theoretically (I have not done this and I keep loosing automatic Fitness focus on my Apple Watch, so YMMV).

I enjoy writing on the reMarkable2 (it's as distraction free as paper) and enjoy reading US Supreme Court Rulings, etc. I like the battery life and with the recent improvements to the apps on Apple devices, it is much more usable as a note taking device. The service I see more as an app subscription to make the content accessible on my other devices. Good app updates aren't ever free.

I do not use it enough to warrant the price, but I like my toys and I change up often. When at home/office, I much prefer a nice pen and paper on a writing pad.

The reMarkable wins in very bright conditions, fails walking down not well lit hallways or in low light.
Hope all this helps,
Clayton.

Nothing like a new gadget to make me interested in my system or avoid doing anything and still have mind like water.

Interesting. I have not found enough value in either focus mode or the immediate note feature on the iPad to even play with them. A lot of stuff goes into Things via the Apple Watch (and even more from email, of course). I keep getting email regularly from Levenger and occasionally from even more expensive boutique companies. The truth is that I don’t use that much paper, and when I do, it usually gets converted into digital form quickly. Inexpensive paper pads just make more sense. I’m not some hard-core digital-only fanatic, but as my workflow has become faster and more streamlined, less seems like more. (By less, of course, I mean, the most sophisticated and expensive consumer electronics the world has ever seen. Not too keen on augmented reality goggles, though.)

Naomi

Registered

Hope all this helps,
Clayton.

@Naomi IMHO ReMarkable 2 is a dead end.

Buy iPad + Apple Pencil + https://paperlike.com screen protector.
Funnily enough, my 18yo son is planning on doing exactly this!

Naomi

Registered

Hope all this helps,
Clayton.

Thank you for such a comprehensive and honest response. All your comments are really useful.
I used to like toys too, but am now trying to balance “keeping up with progress” with a brain that takes a while longer to pick up new things! Having always been Microsoft I included Google about 10 years ago; having always been Android I switched to an iPhone last year. Started a new job in the Autumn and got a MacBook. I really struggled, so back on a Laptop with iPhone.

Reading everyone’s comments, I am going to give the ReMarkable 2 a go - it’s got a 100day money back guarantee so I shall be disciplined!

Naomi

Registered
Interesting. I have not found enough value in either focus mode or the immediate note feature on the iPad to even play with them. A lot of stuff goes into Things via the Apple Watch (and even more from email, of course). I keep getting email regularly from Levenger and occasionally from even more expensive boutique companies. The truth is that I don’t use that much paper, and when I do, it usually gets converted into digital form quickly. Inexpensive paper pads just make more sense. I’m not some hard-core digital-only fanatic, but as my workflow has become faster and more streamlined, less seems like more. (By less, of course, I mean, the most sophisticated and expensive consumer electronics the world has ever seen. Not too keen on augmented reality goggles, though.)
This is really helpful - your discipline for converting paper into digital is a good reminder for me; and you remind me that my goal is to become more streamlined (also avoiding Goggles!)

Sadly (according to my son) I am not an Apple fan, although the heightened security appeals.

Naomi

Registered
Have you considered a Rocketbook? I bought an executive sized Fusion a few months ago and I've enjoyed using it. Writing on it is similar to paper - you can try different size FriXion pens to see what feels best. It erases with water very easily.

You use their app to snap a picture of a page and it can be sent to an email address or OneNote, as well as other services. It may be a cheaper option to experiment with at less than $30.
I tried a RocketBook a few years ago, but I wasn’t organised or disciplined enough with the uploads.
It’s less of the uploading I want; more of the somewhere to capture notes and thoughts in one place.
This is so useful thinking through everyone else’s thoughts and experiences! Thanks.

Naomi

Registered
I like the look of the Remarkables, the issue is that there doesn't seem to be a nice easy workflow for getting stuff in and out of the devices. Import and Export mostly seem to happen via their own software, which means that there's an extra step to everything in both directions. That defeats the object for me, at that point its no quicker than using paper and just scanning the notes into Devonthink. It might be nicer to write on than the iPad, but the iPad can access all my stuff on the fly, so I don't have to worry about getting the stuff on there in advance.

I notice that Amazon have a similar device, which has been panned in reviews for the software, but it does suggest an emerging market. So maybe future devices will get round the sync thing better.
Your points about the extra step is useful.
Makes me realise that I am really just looking for a replacement notepad - at this point anyway.

Naomi

Registered

Hope all this helps,
Clayton.

Hi Clayton, I thought I had replied to you, but cannot find my reply, so apologies if this is duplication!

Everything you share is really useful. I have realised that I am definitely not an Apple fan! So, the ReMarkable wins simply because it isn’t Apple; well, and also because I want to be certain I won’t tempt myself to “just hop onto the internet!”

Like you, I simply want a separate, but discrete note-taking device. It comes with a free 12month subscription for Connect - if I don’t use it in this time, I will cancel it.
Like you, I wonder if my usage will warrant the price. The cost of the tablet seems reasonable, but add on the “must have marker” and needing replacement nibs, plus a cover makes it pricey.

Hopefully my mindset will help me make the most of it as I improve my GTD approach.

cpaMark

Registered
I've done a lot of research on these e-ink note-taking devices and landed on the Supernote. The popular devices are Boox Tab Ultra, Supernote, and Remarkable 2, probably in that order. You can get great reviews from "My Deep Guide" on YouTube. Voja has done great reviews, down to a scientific measure of the "likeness" of paper feel.

For myself, I got and like the Supernote. My use case is fleeting notes, brainstorming, reading/ annotating, and inconsequential notetaking. So far, I have to admit that the e-ink experience is VERY different than a tablet. It's closer to writing on paper. Not perfect, but close. Supernote has some nice, subtle features that differentiate it from the Remarkable. For instance, opening the folio on the SN and it goes straight to the last document page I was in. Also, the ability to easily switch back and forth between the last open document to last open note is a really nice touch. There's a nice comparison of the Remarkable vs SN by Bradley Rivard on YouTube, which I found very helpful and convinced me to go with the SN.

I've gone the tablet writing route and it's just not the same. It's hard to explain my experience with an e-ink device because it's such a subtle change in the interaction with the technology. I didn't realize that even browsing the apps on the home screen of my tablet was a distraction. My mind treats the SN like paper, and it feels very similar to writing with a ballpoint pen.

In my opinion, these e-ink devices are not replacements of an iPad or a decent Android tablet. They aren't even in the same category. The e-ink device is a replacement of paper and eReaders with some added features, like annotation and note-taking. But that's really it. Very simple tools. And finally, these devices are very early in their product cycle.