ReMarkable2 - do you use it and how do you like it?

Naomi

Registered
I agree with so much of what you say. I see the e-ink device purely as replacement for paper - not even as an e-reader.
Whilst I wish it had colour, I hope that by investing in one now, it will evolve into having a colour option in time. As you and someone else earlier in the thread pointed out, e-ink devices are new-ish, and therefore if people don’t give them a go, they won’t be here at all.

Pncguy

Registered
I have tried the RM2 - twice. I also explored the Supernote. In the end, both devices' file system didn't seem intuitive to me and the eink writing experience didn't feel any different than my final solution: Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 lite with a paper-like screen saver. And I replaced the pen nib with a stainless steel one. It is great. I use Samsung Notes, which is backed up in the cloud - AND accessible on my PC. Everything I wanted out of an eink device (except maybe battery life) without the clunkiness. And at a much lower cost.

samuelethan

Registered
I have had the reMarkable2 for about a year now. I have owned an iPad Pro with Apple Pencil since it's original availability. The original was really bad as a random note taker. However, I am on my second iPad Pro 11" (an M1 version). There are key things with the iPad Pro that are miles ahead of the previous ones. 1) you can enable the creation of a note by opening the iPad cover/keyboard, and touching the pencil to the screen allowing immediate writing. 2) the advent of Focus, the iPad can be turned into a dumb writing pad theoretically (I have not done this and I keep loosing automatic Fitness focus on my Apple Watch, so YMMV).

I enjoy writing on the reMarkable2 (it's as distraction free as paper) and enjoy reading US Supreme Court Rulings, etc. I like the battery life and with the recent improvements to the apps on Apple devices, it is much more usable as a note taking device. The service I see more as an app subscription to make the content accessible on my other devices. Good app updates aren't ever free.

I do not use it enough to warrant the price, but I like my toys and I change up often. When at home/office, I much prefer a nice pen and paper on a writing pad.

The reMarkable wins in very bright conditions, fails walking down not well lit hallways or in low light.
Hope all this helps,
Clayton.

Nothing like a new gadget to make me interested in my system or avoid doing anything and still have mind like water.
well, there was a query back in 2021 about these and nobody seemed to know too much about them. I've got a request for my opinion on them, but haven't got a clue. My concern would be that it saves in its own proprietary document format and is only readable by 3rd party devices when you export it to PDF/Image and send/sync. There is a desktop and mobile app that will allow you to edit your notes - at a price (abeit a small one) each month. It does says it syncs with OneDrive, I assume that is that storage only. The user is a heavy user of OneNote and uses it well, but they also use physical notebooks, so this device would be to replace those. I can't help but wonder if they'd be better off with a device that can run OneNote on it and use a stylus. Any thoughts?

schmeggahead

Registered
well, there was a query back in 2021 about these and nobody seemed to know too much about them. I've got a request for my opinion on them, but haven't got a clue. My concern would be that it saves in its own proprietary document format and is only readable by 3rd party devices when you export it to PDF/Image and send/sync. There is a desktop and mobile app that will allow you to edit your notes - at a price (abeit a small one) each month. It does says it syncs with OneDrive, I assume that is that storage only. The user is a heavy user of OneNote and uses it well, but they also use physical notebooks, so this device would be to replace those. I can't help but wonder if they'd be better off with a device that can run OneNote on it and use a stylus. Any thoughts?
I have used the web interface when plugging the device into a USB port on a Mac (to comply with GPLv3 Compliance, see under copyright notices general information). The files were readable on my Mac using default apps. I forget the formats but YMMV.
Clayton.

"The power of man's virtue should not be measured by his special efforts, but by his ordinary doing." - Blaise Pascal

grahamen

Registered
I went for the Smart Note A6x2, It can read and annotate docs and pdf's as well, and read Kindle books. there are a number of planners available that would map to GTD, but I like the fact, that aside from Kindle it has no other distractions, so I can concentrate on my writing and not be plagued with notifications every 30 secs ( I know you can put the ipad etc in DND mode), but for me it was the best solution. I have had a slight issue with e-Ink artifacts and having to refresh the page periodically to get rid of the ghosts, but other than that I love it, battery life is really good.

schmeggahead

Registered
Quiet for one thing.
Distraction free focus.

Clayton

Human knowledge is merely an island in an ocean of ignorance. And whenever we manage to extend the island, we also lengthen the coastline from which we confront our lack of knowledge. - SpockResists
I want to add an update to this.

While traveling with only my iPad (no reMarkable, no pen and paper), I really had the need to capture my thoughts and my M1 iPad Pro started lagging the appearance of ink on the screen with a 10 to 15 second delay. It was completely unusable and my thoughts were going away. Putting it on airplane mode didn't help and rebooting it finally resolved the issue and by then I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to write.

The remarkable goes with me now on trips when I don't take a paper and pen.
Clayton

Your system should be simple but no simpler than necessary to accomplish a task - a whole bunch of people.

FocusGuy

Registered
I want to add an update to this.

While traveling with only my iPad (no reMarkable, no pen and paper), I really had the need to capture my thoughts and my M1 iPad Pro started lagging the appearance of ink on the screen with a 10 to 15 second delay. It was completely unusable and my thoughts were going away. Putting it on airplane mode didn't help and rebooting it finally resolved the issue and by then I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to write.

The remarkable goes with me now on trips when I don't take a paper and pen.
Clayton

Your system should be simple but no simpler than necessary to accomplish a task - a whole bunch of people.
I know many student who use an iPad for taking notes. They also have sometime a kind of protector sheet which make feeling like paper. I never heard any latency for that. As I take a lot of notes by hand I hesitate to buy and iPad + pen + Keyboard or a remarkable + Pen. I like the idea how having an iPad because I would put things 3 on it and this would be nice. I also find remarkable very expansive for what it is. I dont like the idea of having a pay sync per month as I am already on Mac and everything is synced. So I dont know at all if a good iPad would be able to take notes or not as easy as the remarkable seems to be doing.