Setup OmniFocus like Facilethings or Nirvana

Bre_acosta

GTD|Connect
Starting this off by stating I’m new so this may have been asked, sorry.

Are there any guides, courses, or videos on how to setup OmniFocus more like Nirvana or Facilethings?

I bought the setup guide for OmniFocus in the GTD store. Not quite what I’m looking for.

I like how there are “buckets” that show next action (for each project) and waiting etc. I’d rather stay with OmniFocus because I’m an Apple/Mac user.

FocusGuy

Registered
You can finds lot of stuff on omnifocus website

- https://www.omnigroup.com/blog
Lesson to meg edwards.

- there are also good videos on the omnifocus website

I showed many settings here and others dos the same. Search for omnifocus tag

- if you are courageous the bible for omnifocus is what does Kourosh DINI but it is far away Gtd long to read. I think he will soon release his manual for omnifocus 4

Anyway since you understand how perspective works set your own system.

Hope that helps

Eric Wayte

Registered
You can finds lot of stuff on omnifocus website

- https://www.omnigroup.com/blog
Lesson to meg edwards.

- there are also good videos on the omnifocus website

I showed many settings here and others dos the same. Search for omnifocus tag

- if you are courageous the bible for omnifocus is what does Kourosh DINI but it is far away Gtd long to read. I think he will soon release his manual for omnifocus 4

Anyway since you understand how perspective works set your own system.

Hope that helps
Kourosh was a recent guest on Tim Stringer's Learn OmniFocus and I asked him if Creating Flow with OmniFocus would be updated for OF 4 and he replied that he was spending his time on Waves of Focus. He also said an update to Creating Flow would be nice, but it's not on his radar.

mcogilvie

Registered
Starting this off by stating I’m new so this may have been asked, sorry.

Are there any guides, courses, or videos on how to setup OmniFocus more like Nirvana or Facilethings?

I bought the setup guide for OmniFocus in the GTD store. Not quite what I’m looking for.

I like how there are “buckets” that show next action (for each project) and waiting etc. I’d rather stay with OmniFocus because I’m an Apple/Mac user.
Because you are an Apple user, I recommend seriously considering switching to Nirvana or Things. Nirvana is decent, and Things has an elegant design. I personally find FacileThings both pricey and inflexible. You can sort of make OF like Nirvana or Things using the Projects and Forecasts views in the standard version of OF, but you will need the pro version for custom perspectives that are more finely tuned. People on the forum can probably help if you have specific things you want.

bcmyers2112

Registered
If you want something that works like Nirvana or Facilethings, I think you'll have better luck using one of them rather than trying to bend Ominfocus to do so. I can't speak to Facilethings, but Nirvana works on the web, and also has a client for the Mac and an iPhone app, so being an Apple user isn't a barrier. I can also tell you as a Nirvana user that it's a good solution.

FocusGuy

Registered
I think the choice of a software is personal. I wrote a lot here explaining the differences i found about Things, Nirvana and Omnifocus.
The more I practice GTD the more I realize that the simplest system suiting to each people need is the best system. There are no best software, nor best systems. I think we could build a good GTD system with simple . txt file or sheets of papers. No doubt it could be as efficient as my system is for now.

Anyway when things becomes professional it's another game to play. Each mistake is paid cash and believe me it may be expensive ;-).
I paid a lot for learning that. Also, security, archives, searches becomes crucial.

As I often said I don't have any shares with Omnigroup. I often Find Omnifocus complex and sometime cumbersome. Sometime I love it. Sometime I hate it. However it is the best software I ever used for a long time. It can manage securely a tons of datas and well made it is just an astonish software. Of course like many things it takes time to be fully efficient

it is a fantastic tool I can trust.

If only things could be as powerful as Omnifocus I would choose Things. Sadly it is not (like Nirvana). It does the job but is to light for me.

Omnifocus is like a lego. It is an open choice. The danger is to dive too deeply inside it and forget his main purpose : eg doing things.,

Happily, I passed this step. Now I work with it efficiently and made it indeed powerful and efficient as I dreamt. It was quite a surprise. Sincerely I thought It would never happen.

Nothing is perfect. As I work a lot with .txt file I often think I could use obsidian or simply .txt file into folders.
However when I search things (what happens frequently) Omnifocus make it fast and easy.
Omnifocus became little by little a good companion.

Last edited: