Trying to “sort myself out” doing a weekly review for the first time in about thirty days since moved house.

@TimBourne.

Your options might be:

1. Keep with GTD Book while just two Piece's of paper for Reference

2. Create a Digital via scan or Paper GTD folder as future Notes for GTD Reference

3. Destroy/Trash one or both . . . whatever you don't need for Reference

As you GTD see fit

I'm surprised you replied back these three options?

really think - 2 paper pieces are worth while if they weren't best created?

I wouldn't know how to do option 2 digital scan? because haven't set up digital

"3. Destroy/Trash one or both . . . whatever you don't need for Reference" was that a mistake? you wrote "whatever you don't need for reference? Why would you keep things which you don't need?

" GTD folder" I have folders - but not sure making more folders with paper built up is right/correct?

"Keep with GTD Book" that just creates clutter?

So I am down options if don't respond 24 hours?' S V :(

@TimBourne,

Correct, if there is something has has no Action, Reference, etc. then it could be Trash

I see that - image you are referring to of two paper sheets.

took 1 image on phone of two sheets - and doesn't actually have best focus/clarity on image on phone (I tried zooming in on image, didn't notice this when posted it on fourm).

If I would have take one 1 image for each sheet then - you would be able to see the sheet with resolution like how it looks in real life.

My words were - when in real life I dated/looked back in writing (when thought was doing weekly review) I was writing extra words or syllables- trying re write the writing on sheet (see in pic) for words can't actually make out what spell - you able too see in picture, or should take new picture?

My voice was if something is not illegible fully then it should be Trashed ? £s

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
ITM
When I saw this for first time I had the thought.

It maybe be best for myself - to go other what wrote needed do in this post thread of this thread.

Because when saw message left - your saying about going back part book pages 85-105 which I have looked at before lots of times?
But it couldn't hurt , so herin.

I just spent what five minutes *scanning over those pages 85 -105 * and yeah I can see - looking over writing - there certain pagarphs (paragraphs)/phrases which feel like must not have picked up from previously reading it.

for example that he says about using an auto labelling system.

Some things I saw that I don't have (which write basic processing tool) is stapler, scotch tape, an automatic labeller, a set of rubber bands - you are telling me I need to get these things? SV

I should look in my previous reading notes what I wrote about prior reading this page?
I have type of a4 note book which used - writing notes while reading and yeah I look and see wrote some stuff about GTD book a while ago -which really is not in best illegible handwriting, hard for myself to read, so really could provide benefit for myself try to analyse notes of these pages you cite again? Because I have impaired memory

"you will need to set up accessible containers (such as, files, hanging or manilla folders, binders, notebooks, computer programs, etc.)" I have it from prior reading - that in book didn't really give instructions for how properly set up these things (computer programmes (technology is what hav gut/heart need to focus on)) but says to look on fourm for more advice how properly set it up? ' s

This might help you, @TimBourne: https://store.gettingthingsdone.com/product-category/setup-guides/

This link takes you to the GTD Setup Guides. They cost $10 each. You may be able to get a free sample of a few pages of each Guide that interests you to check out before purchase. To do that, click on the Setup Guide you want, then scroll down and see whether there is a sample is available to download. If so, there is a red text link you can click to download the free sample.

Please notice in particular two Setup Guides that might be useful. One is called the GTD Installation Setup Guide (44 pages). One is called the GTD Paper Organizer Setup Guide (32 pages). Setup Guides about specific digital tools are also shown.

I wonder whether perhaps these Guides would be able to give you more specific details about how you could apply GTD.

This might help you, @TimBourne: https://store.gettingthingsdone.com/product-category/setup-guides/

This link takes you to the GTD Setup Guides. They cost $10 each. You may be able to get a free sample of a few pages of each Guide that interests you to check out before purchase. To do that, click on the Setup Guide you want, then scroll down and see whether there is a sample is available to download. If so, there is a red text link you can click to download the free sample.

Please notice in particular two Setup Guides that might be useful. One is called the GTD Installation Setup Guide (44 pages). One is called the GTD Paper Organizer Setup Guide (32 pages). Setup Guides about specific digital tools are also shown.

I wonder whether perhaps these Guides would be able to give you more specific details about how you could apply GTD.

ITM

I scanned over your writing here.
click linked shared of set up guides - I believe I have seen this page before with set up guides, or have I not seen these specific ones?
A title stood out "GTD instillation guide" because feel like I haven't been able to put into practice so far core concepts as good as should have done. I downloaded and scanned over the free sample.
10$ dollars (presume has be converted from GBP £) ? does not seem that much money

You just show the results of "set up guides" on the main page website, sub filter with about 20 results - I am actually not sure I have seen this before? How come? Are these type of guides shown from this link actually done by persons Allen? Or by different people by his organization here? I wonder

Is the set up guide like example "installation guide" much different than the 2015 version of the book?

*polifax what do you think that myself Tim actually right now didn't yet purchase the drawing e-book you recommended (because got distracted on fourm threads writing about properly setting up the basics of GTD system, trying focus on using digital.
*A voice in my head says I would want to first purchase that book before another purchase?

"https://forum.gettingthingsdone.com...e-questions-about-using-digital-forgtd.18306/" in this new thread I just posted - I put the question - would it be better to actually do a digital version of mind sweep exercise?

*After I saw other persons on this thread write that I should do the mind sweep activity again [was persons @David Parker , who didn't reply last post I replied to him]* And I was contemplating literally doing it all over again with paper A5 sheets, " B A A F within 24hours?

[https://store.gettingthingsdone.com/product/gtd-installation-setup-guide/] I scanned over that -it looks similar to the book in the sample, has 2010 written at bottom of it.
Why are recommending this in 2010?"

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
Hi, @TimBourne!

Yes! I think doing a regular Mind Sweep is a good practice! Get whatever has your attention out of your mind and onto paper. This could help relieve those pent up, frustrated feelings you have at times. Your Mind Sweeps can be handwitten or digital, whichever is easiest for you to read. I read that doing a Mind Sweep daily at the same time of day develops a regular habit.

You can keep your Mind Sweep pages in your inbox. Later, after you have set up the buckets David Allen refers to in his book, you will have places to put things and find things. Then you can apply GTD Workflow Processing (capture, clarify, organize, reflect, engage) to your Mind Sweeps.

You can also throw out your Mind Sweeps for now, if you want, since right now it would be difficult to process them without places to put the results of your processing. They still serve several good purposes: You get practice in writing Mind Sweeps. You become more aware of things on your mind that need your attention. You relieve yourself of your concerns by getting them out, which reduces your stress and makes your life easier and happier.

Yes! I think buying the book about drawing by Nicolaides or any book you like about how learning to draw, is a good idea! I agree with you that a regular practice of drawing might help your brain. However, since this depends on your budget, only you can decide where to put your financial resources. Meanwhile, it is free to go to the YouTube web site for Sketch Noting. Here is a video that offers you a free download for drawing practice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_fn2fpO5cU

Yes! I think buying a GTD Setup Guide might be useful to you. The Installation Setup Gude does sound good. I suggested this because I think it might help to have more clarity about the step by step process of setting up a GTD system. However, since this depends on your budget, only you can decide where to put your financial resources. I have not bought any GTD Setup Guides. I'm guessing they are useful, but cannot be sure they would meet your needs, and I don't know how the date of publication affects them. You might want to create a post to ask for information about what the setup guides have to offer.

My favorite learning about GTD is from GTD Focus Coach, Julie Ireland, whose videos can be seen on YouTube. She said she found it joyful and freeing to know that there is no "right" way to do GTD. There are best practices to guide you in applying GTD, but you can implement GTD in whatever way is right for you.

gtdstudente

Registered
I see that - image you are referring to of two paper sheets.

took 1 image on phone of two sheets - and doesn't actually have best focus/clarity on image on phone (I tried zooming in on image, didn't notice this when posted it on fourm).

If I would have take one 1 image for each sheet then - you would be able to see the sheet with resolution like how it looks in real life.

My words were - when in real life I dated/looked back in writing (when thought was doing weekly review) I was writing extra words or syllables- trying re write the writing on sheet (see in pic) for words can't actually make out what spell - you able too see in picture, or should take new picture?

My voice was if something is not illegible fully then it should be Trashed ? £s
@TimBourne,

When I write something that is "illegible," then that reminds me to write more carefully/slowly next time I write anything

Thank you

As you see GTD fit

@TimBourne,

When I write something that is "illegible," then that reminds me to write more carefully/slowly next time I write anything

Thank you

As you see GTD fit

Im not sure I understand.

I seem to have like a habit - of my handwriting regressing when I write for longer periods of time.

Which is why I prefer to type?

I can't seem to consistently improve my handwriting? maybe its related to my physical health problem with having blood flow problems in my body due to heavy metal.

So I need to decide what im going to do about badly written A5 paper intray mindsweeps I have in my intrays! V says within 24 hours ... "

gtdstudente

Registered
Im not sure I understand.

I seem to have like a habit - of my handwriting regressing when I write for longer periods of time.

Which is why I prefer to type?

I can't seem to consistently improve my handwriting? maybe its related to my physical health problem with having blood flow problems in my body due to heavy metal.

So I need to decide what im going to do about badly written A5 paper intray mindsweeps I have in my intrays! V says within 24 hours ... "
@TimBourne,

The only thing one can say in regards to Writing and Typing is simply keep Doing what Bests suits you since the both have their advantages and what best suits you would be the best advantage of all

As you see GTD fit

Ps. My hand writing is very difficult to read, even for me . . . which means I need to write slower . . . some of the smartest people I have ever met surprised me when observing how accurately slow they wrote . . . like typing, accuracy is more important than speed

@TimBourne,

The only thing one can say in regards to Writing and Typing is simply keep Doing what Bests suits you since the both have their advantages and what best suits you would be the best advantage of all

As you see GTD fit

Ps. My hand writing is very difficult to read, even for me . . . which means I need to write slower . . . some of the smartest people I have ever met surprised me when observing how accurately slow they wrote . . . like typing, accuracy is more important than speed

I had thought - showing something, that found in room

said - should have something in room serve as inbox

and what shown in picture here - is best could find

Do you think this is good enough or should get other investment

N intrays inevitably sorting example

idea back - using left out room (not best quality help with mindsweep linked

"ike typing, accuracy is more important than speed"
Hi, @TimBourne!

Yes! I think doing a regular Mind Sweep is a good practice! Get whatever has your attention out of your mind and onto paper. This could help relieve those pent up, frustrated feelings you have at times. Your Mind Sweeps can be handwitten or digital, whichever is easiest for you to read. I read that doing a Mind Sweep daily at the same time of day develops a regular habit.

You can keep your Mind Sweep pages in your inbox. Later, after you have set up the buckets David Allen refers to in his book, you will have places to put things and find things. Then you can apply GTD Workflow Processing (capture, clarify, organize, reflect, engage) to your Mind Sweeps.

You can also throw out your Mind Sweeps for now, if you want, since right now it would be difficult to process them without places to put the results of your processing. They still serve several good purposes: You get practice in writing Mind Sweeps. You become more aware of things on your mind that need your attention. You relieve yourself of your concerns by getting them out, which reduces your stress and makes your life easier and happier.

Yes! I think buying the book about drawing by Nicolaides or any book you like about how learning to draw, is a good idea! I agree with you that a regular practice of drawing might help your brain. However, since this depends on your budget, only you can decide where to put your financial resources. Meanwhile, it is free to go to the YouTube web site for Sketch Noting. Here is a video that offers you a free download for drawing practice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_fn2fpO5cU

Yes! I think buying a GTD Setup Guide might be useful to you. The Installation Setup Gude does sound good. I suggested this because I think it might help to have more clarity about the step by step process of setting up a GTD system. However, since this depends on your budget, only you can decide where to put your financial resources. I have not bought any GTD Setup Guides. I'm guessing they are useful, but cannot be sure they would meet your needs, and I don't know how the date of publication affects them. You might want to create a post to ask for information about what the setup guides have to offer.

My favorite learning about GTD is from GTD Focus Coach, Julie Ireland, whose videos can be seen on YouTube. She said she found it joyful and freeing to know that there is no "right" way to do GTD. There are best practices to guide you in applying GTD, but you can implement GTD in whatever way is right for you.

ITM

I scanned over your message here, will need to come back to this

How come I didn't get notified to this message?

Im doing digital version mind sweep " s

After a major upheaval like a house move (I'm heading for one sometime this year) a Weekly Review isn't enough. I'd do a Mind Sweep first and feed that into a Weekly Review to funnel so much change into a working GTD System.

ITM

here I wonder why you write recommend doing mind sweep first - to physical gathering when physical gathering is written about chronologically first in book to mind sweep" ?
STN

gtdstudente

Registered
@TimBourne,

If I may respectfully interject

Removing distractions for easier focusing, including random thoughts, concerns, commitments, etc. is a cornerstone of GTD methodology

Therefore, a "mind sweep" is for sweeping/removing from one's mind any thoughts, concerns, commitments, etc. that might be or could be undermining one's focus by unproductively keep reminding oneself in order to not forget what might be of importance and is simply unnecessarily fatiguing worry one might say

A "mind sweep" is seems to be primarily recommended and doing so looks like writing on individual pieces of paper or in a notebook . . . for most it seems writing is easier than typing for doing the "mind sweep" and therefore writing is recommended more than typing to complete "mind sweeping"

As a simplified overview to keep things moving, once one has 'completed' their "mind sweep", until something else comes to mind for writing down on paper, then all of those thoughts, concerns, commitments, etc. on paper are all placed in one Inbox for Processing with easier focusing than might have been the case without doing a "mind sweep"

Again as a simplified overview in continuing to keep things moving here, Processing is for 'discovering' what one's thoughts, concerns, commitments, etc. mean to oneself . . . are they Trash, Someday/Maybe, Reference, Support, or a Project with a determined purpose Outcome for one's Project List(s) and a Project Next Action for a particular Context / Calendar List ?

Also, one's thoughts, concerns, commitments, etc. might simply be a Next Action for a particular Context / Calendar List

"What does Done look like?" applies to both; Projects and Next Action(s)

While "What does Doing look like?" only applies to step-by-step Next Action(s) which becomes the 'building blocks' for completing Projects for their particular outcomes when more than one Next Action is necessary for any completed outcome

Hope that helps you see GTD fit

Last edited:
1709496742581.png

ITM

had thought to ask persons renene @René Lie how he - did mind sweep himself personally? He did it a digital version?

This links something else I was contemplating on - that don't understand this part of PDF where says about creating a separate type of list in Asana "mind sweep" - which you then link to an e-mail address - I wrote on next page on print screen don't undestand why saying something send an e-mail to mind sweep list- when doesn't take any time just to open up Asana application and write -does it? STN

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
View attachment 1749

ITM

had thought to ask persons renene @René Lie how he - did mind sweep himself personally? He did it a digital version?

This links something else I was contemplating on - that don't understand this part of PDF where says about creating a separate type of list in Asana "mind sweep" - which you then link to an e-mail address - I wrote on next page on print screen don't undestand why saying something send an e-mail to mind sweep list- when doesn't take any time just to open up Asana application and write -does it? STN
I do both - digitally or on paper - whatever is most convenient in the moment.

Sometimes you may want to forward something via email - the email subject becomes the mind sweep item, and the body of the email becomes the description.

I do both - digitally or on paper - whatever is most convenient in the moment.

Sometimes you may want to forward something via email - the email subject becomes the mind sweep item, and the body of the email becomes the description.
ITM F
Answering above:

1) I don't understand why you would want to add an item to mind sweep list on e-mail website? Why not just open asana tab and add it in on asana?

2) your saying you've done more than one mind sweep using paper and digitally? well this relates entirely to my train of work" Voice said - could would be willing maybe show with a picture example layout of your mind sweep?

STN

@TimBourne,

If I may respectfully interject

Removing distractions for easier focusing, including random thoughts, concerns, commitments, etc. is a cornerstone of GTD methodology

Therefore, a "mind sweep" is for sweeping/removing from one's mind any thoughts, concerns, commitments, etc. that might be or could be undermining one's focus by unproductively keep reminding oneself in order to not forget what might be of importance and is simply unnecessarily fatiguing worry one might say

A "mind sweep" is seems to be primarily recommended and doing so looks like writing on individual pieces of paper or in a notebook . . . for most it seems writing is easier than typing for doing the "mind sweep" and therefore writing is recommended more than typing to complete "mind sweeping"

As a simplified overview to keep things moving, once one has 'completed' their "mind sweep", until something else comes to mind for writing down on paper, then all of those thoughts, concerns, commitments, etc. on paper are all placed in one Inbox for Processing with easier focusing than might have been the case without doing a "mind sweep"

Again as a simplified overview in continuing to keep things moving here, Processing is for 'discovering' what one's thoughts, concerns, commitments, etc. mean to oneself . . . are they Trash, Someday/Maybe, Reference, Support, or a Project with a determined purpose Outcome for one's Project List(s) and a Project Next Action for a particular Context / Calendar List ?

Also, one's thoughts, concerns, commitments, etc. might simply be a Next Action for a particular Context / Calendar List

"What does Done look like?" applies to both; Projects and Next Action(s)

While "What does Doing look like?" only applies to step-by-step Next Action(s) which becomes the 'building blocks' for completing Projects for their particular outcomes when more than one Next Action is necessary for any completed outcome

Hope that helps you see GTD fit

ITM
this was the other post I was referencing on the ABC thread I made.

"a "mind sweep" is for sweeping/removing from one's mind any thoughts, concerns, commitments, etc. that might be or could be undermining one's focus by unproductively keep reminding oneself in order to not forget what might be of importance "

you can only think of one thing at a time.
I need do my asana train work to do this.

thought of NA - to tag lots, as many users wouldn't hurt (about asking can they give examples of their mind sweeps.

"something else comes to mind for writing down on paper, then all of those thoughts, concerns, commitments, etc." you need to realise something hasn't been documented which comes down to yourself.

You do processing in weekly reviews- correct?

"mind sweep" is seems to be primarily recommended and doing so looks like writing on individual pieces of paper or in a notebook " I tried that in past (and felt failed doing it, wrote previous thread about the topic) it could be better do mind sweeps digitally.

On Asana - calendar system is used. "
STN

ITM
so herein following my previous post above.

@gtdstudente @Mrs-Polifax @cfoley
@René Lie
@RuthMcT @David Parker @Oogiem (are some names which came to mind who recently be sharing with me) - it could be possible I tag everyone ever posted with?
Idea came that I should- want ask all users on fourm , who are willing if is possible? Users which have shared with me on forums if they could provide me example of what there mind sweeps looked like - for myself Tim start a new attempt on after I failed on brian.
1709725700017.png

where shown in pic - was just typing out ideas (from reading the section in book) things which came to mind - in this software ... " l

cfoley

Registered
Here is what my mind sweep looked like.
  1. I took a pad of paper and a pen.
  2. I wrote everything on my mind in the pad of paper.
  3. I used the trigger list on the GTD book to remind myself of more things to write down
  4. I feel like I could have kept on writing for ever, but when the flow of ideas slowed down (after about an hour) I stopped writing.
  5. I tore all the pages I had written ideas on and put them in my inbox.
Later, I clarified and organised everything on my mind sweep. As I clarified and organised each item, I crossed it off, and when I had finished clarifying and organising, I recycled the paper I had used. There was no need to keep the mind sweep after each item in it had been clarified and organised.

cfoley

Registered
It looks to me like the window on the left contains your mindsweep. It looks perfect. If I were you, and if everything is off your mind and in that document, I would put the document in your inbox and declare the mindsweep a success.