Using an mp3 Player to Leverage Focus and Vision

Scott_L_Lewis

Registered
Complete Information, Absolute Certainty

DFE said:
However, two problems arise:

1). If our knowledge base is made up of stuff we have picked up along the way, how can we make objective judgements about what is right for us?

2). How can we know that the idea we want to install in our minds will fit into all possible situations in which we are likely to find ourselves on a day to day basis?

1) We make judgements as best as we are able at the time we make them. One way to improve the quality of judgements is to be more thorough and methodical about what we're picking up along the way, but ultimately you will make just about every decision you will ever make with incomplete information.

2) We can't know this. Again, the best you can do is reasonably thorough preparation combined with ongoing monitoring of what results you get from the changes you make. If results are not anticipated or desired, corrections can always be made. After all, if you could change in the first place, you can change again. (Unless of course you change into a corpse. :D )

We don't have total knowledge. We will never attain absolute certainty. If you wait until you attain either one before doing anything, you will be waiting forever.

C

CosmoGTD

DFE, I hear what you are saying. Your thread about Goal Setting being bad for you, is similar to my concerns. But what I am talking about is even going much deeper. Going inside of your brain, and systematically "modifying" your Outcomes, Schemas, Core Beliefs, thoughts, submodalities, Values, Identity, etc, and then doing this as part of a planned, organized system, can most certainly be VERY bad for you. It is extremely powerful, and like anything of this nature, can easily be misused.
I could list 100 examples where I see it being misused right now.

Our minds have been messed with since day one in this world, and we are all being bombarded 24/7 in the world we live in.

So for me anyway, I am going to continue to use the scientific method to approach these things.
If something doesn't work, I throw it out.
If it works, then I build on that.
Ultimately, these types of ideas need to be ETHICALLY tested in control group settings, to see what their effects really are.

TesTeq

Registered
Give me at least 6 examples.

Coz,
When someone says something like:
I could list 100 examples where I see it being misused right now.
I always say:
Give me at least six examples or three reasonable ones :wink: .
So, what are your examples?
TesTeq

C

CosmoGTD

Hmmm. Without naming names...off the top of my head....
These sorts of ideas are being used and misused in many arenas: advertising, hidden media bias, political persuasion and jingoist manipulation, Cult recruiting, some New Religious Movements, most LGAT Human Potential Seminars (Large Group Awareness Trainings), all systems of Thought Reform, Self-Help Guru 18 hour a day immersion weekends, many so called "self-help" seminars, some aspects of military "training", many New Age Gurus techniques of coercive influence, some Multi-Level Marketing schemes, some psychotherapy systems, militia and hate group indoctrination, terrorist training, misuse of Ericksonian hypnotic techniques being used in Sales and in Mass Persuasion, and many many other areas.

I am going to be blunt.
This thread seems to be going nowhere, and i think i am finished with it. My gut feelings were correct. Wrong place, wrong subject.