What GTD products would you find useful?

mrkwhlbrk

Registered
1. A PDF collecting the best variations, hacks, and additions to pure GTD methodology

2. A standard database format SDK for app developers to use in order to get a GTD-Compliant badge. Most app developers don’t allow import/export, and those that do use wildly different fields and formats. A standard CSV format would facilitate switching between different apps, shouldn’t take much in the way of resources to develop, could make the Wild West of GTD apps a bit more civilized, and could pay for itself in the form of fees to get the coveted GTD-Compliant Badge.

GTDAcademic

Practicing GTD in the academic world.
I could use a good demo video on someone really processing business-style emails. Many videos show an artificial mail box with one mail - one next action type of work.

What about one mail - multiple next actions with multiple people - multiple waiting fors with people not responding before other parts start moving again, many support materials (some for you, some shared broader), people nagging you on slack and Teams at the same time and how you all streamline that.

Maybe even an ASMR style video?

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
What about one mail - multiple next actions with multiple people - multiple waiting fors with people not responding before other parts start moving again, many support materials (some for you, some shared broader), people nagging you on slack and Teams at the same time and how you all streamline that.
To me, this would become a project: teach people in my organization which channels to use when, and how to send email.
Or rather; agree on internal standards for what to use when...

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
A few things come to me:
  1. A guide, training, or book, around sharing the system with others. I have quite a few in my office that are always amazed at how organized and disciplined I am, and want to do the same. they are not quite ready for a coach, nor are they ready to read the book. But they need a primer, a way to get loosely involved in the system and realize there is something here.
  2. I had mentioned this in another post and I know you saw the idea but more specifics on the engage side. I would love to read about real life stories and examples of how different disciplines handle different things
  3. A modernized view on contexts. I, like so many others, are less contextual based now. Home, office, computer, mobile, all start to blend except for the physical aspects of it. I can do nearly anything on my ipad I can do on my computer.
  4. Printed reference material. I like to keep a printed chart of the GTD process, natural planning model, etc. at my desk. Would be nice to have a nice set of printed material or digital material for that purpose.
  5. I know this one will not happen as the complexity involved is crazy but I would LOVE to see an email client built around GTD methodolgy. That would be incredible.
  6. As much as I love David Allen and GTD, not quite sure a David Allen bobblehead is going to make it to my desk or my colleagues will request a lot of explaining from me lol
These are very good! I particularly would like to see MUCH more on #3. The old contexts such as @computer just don't work that well anymore.

michaelp6of7

Registered
Hey John and Company,

I have a product suggestion that I think is unique and interesting. My new office walls really need some GTD inspired artwork. They could be made by an artist using classic GTD quotes or GTD principles.

I'm quite sure many of you have the GTD workflow on the wall but this would be something different.
  • A GTD quote made into a framed picture would be a great talking point with someone who hasn't been introduced to the methodology.
  • The picture might be a beautiful reminder to do a weekly review or collect what is on your mind.
  • A set of pictures could make the office more enjoyable by removing the old "inspirational" pictures from the last two decades.
2dd9ebeeaa1fe515fcf023cd08c0d3e6--motivational-monday-motivational-posters.jpg

What do you think about GTD inspired art/images? If you know of existing GTD artists, please share them with me.

michaelp6of7

Registered
New GTD Product Suggestion: Levenger Circa Planner

I would like to see the GTD Yearly planner created for the "disk type" paper planners available. My preference would be using Levenger's Circa platform, but I believe Staples has a compatible disk solution as well.

The Circa disk solution allows pages to be easily removed and replaced. It also solves the problem with spiral notebooks (and the like) with easy to turn pages. You can use regular copy paper, but a heavier grade works best.

circaplanner.jpg

Last edited:

Matt_M

Registered
Well, I cannot say that I really have anything "new", but I will resort to the adage "everything old is new again". I would like to see a re-introduction of previous GTD products:

• David Allen Notetaker Wallet (+ pen, refill pads, etc.)
  • Plastic GTD folders (Inbox, Action Support, Travel, etc.)
  • Inbox/Desk Trays

On a related note, I have always been fascinated by David's predilection for office tools such as pens, paper pads, folios, trays, desk accessories/organizers, etc. that I would certainly be interested in any version made/endorsed by the GTD team.

Not sure if any of that helps or makes sense, economically and logistically, but just my musing thoughts. While I certainly could see a GTD 2.0 book and/or software applications as a possibility, I recognize those are extremely time intensive, expensive, and ultimately very risky so I am not going to put them forward as ideas.

Claudia Volkman

Registered
I love the setup guides and the interviews . . . I'd like to see real-life examples of what you and the other GTD coaches use to implement the methodology.

PeterByrom

Registered
A split notepad (i.e. two thin notepads next to each other in one) so that on one set of pages you can write regular notes, and on the other set you can write purely actions that arise (e.g. if you're in a meeting you'll take general notes on one pad, and only write on the other if an action point is identified - that way you can summarise the actions at the end instead of needing to flick through all the notes again).

This would be great as a physical notepad but also a digital app.

Also, on the digital side, it would be great if someone could make a list manager which has an "associate with other list items" feature. This would allow you to put an item on a "next action" context list, and then link the item to an entry on your "projects" list (or several items if it applies to multiple projects).

That way, you don't get caught up in the messiness of "tagging" / "labelling". You can literally just reflect the reality of the association between those items as list items instead of needing to downgrade one of them to the status of a "tag" (or needing to create and remember which tag to use).

TesTeq

Registered
That way, you don't get caught up in the messiness of "tagging" / "labelling". You can literally just reflect the reality of the association between those items as list items instead of needing to downgrade one of them to the status of a "tag" (or needing to create and remember which tag to use).
@PeterByrom I am a big proponent of using tags for contexts. You rarely use so many contexts that the tag list becomes messy. And most of the applications allow you to embed actions (tasks) in projects. So by clicking a project you can see all project's actions and clicking a tag you see a list of actions for a given context.

PeterByrom

Registered
@PeterByrom I am a big proponent of using tags for contexts. You rarely use so many contexts that the tag list becomes messy. And most of the applications allow you to embed actions (tasks) in projects. So by clicking a project you can see all project's actions and clicking a tag you see a list of actions for a given context.
Snap! I love tags for contexts too. That’s how I’ve setup both Todoist and outlook desktop.

The only snag is that if you use a tag for a context then the action can only “live inside” one project or list. But sometimes that next action item will be associated with multiple projects.

So it would be great if someone were literally just to implement an “associate with other items” function. That way you could connect it to whatever else you wanted (some tools are starting to offer this, like Asana and airtable, but it’s a little clunky)!

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
some tools are starting to offer this, like Asana and airtable, but it’s a little clunky
Know thy keyboard shortcuts!

I haven't tried anything but Asana, so I'm happily ignorant, but at one point I was in need of assigning certain tasks to several contexts, and Asana served me well!

gtdstudente

Registered
A Double-Sided Clipboard (PROJECTS [written on one-side] -&- NEXT ACTIONS [written on one-side]) with the Clips at the opposite ends on the opposite sides . . . simply elegant! Clunkily 'tape' two-together for a test-run? Ps. All Rights Respectfully Reserved . . . 2.99% on gross fair?

Last edited: