What GTD products would you find useful?

mksilk2

Registered
I'd love an elegant and simple set of mobile wallpapers for the various topics: system outline (1. capture, 2. clarify,...), clarify flow chart, horizons of focus, natural planning model, etc. It would be a nice reminder to have it on my phone lockscreen (which does allow for a slideshow of several wallpapers on my device, so I could add them all).
Great idea. I used to have the GTD workflow map stuck to the wall near my desk. But I heard David talk about how those items that are permanently there become invisible to us day after day after day. I found that to be true. So I like the idea of a changing wallpaper to make it more random (almost tickler like).

bcmyers2112

Registered
@Oogiem's suggestion got me thinking. I'm one of those people inspired by cool gear. I know The David Allen Company decided to get out of the business of selling physical products but has there ever been any consideration of licensing another company to do it?

Some of office supplies The David Allen Company used to sell were out of my price range but I love cool, high-quality pens, pads and things like that. I'd buy such things with a GTD logo on them.

Admittedly, just having the GTD or David Allen Company logo on a product wouldn't make it any better than a high-end version of that product I could get from someone else. But people buy emotionally more than intellectually, and I'm no exception. Having GTD pens, pads, folders and similar items would serve to inspire me in my GTD practice. I don't think I'm alone in feeling that way.

I love my GTD Notetaker Wallet, BTW. It's the best wallet I've ever owned and has lasted the longest. I think it's over 10 years old and is still in good shape considering how much I've carried that thing around in my back pocket. (When I think of the indignities that poor thing has suffered through...)

Seriously, though, has the idea of licensing another company to produce GTD-branded merchandise ever been considered? Like I said, I'd shell out some money for that.

Last edited:

dtj

Registered
I propose that we, as a group of GTD enthusiasts, create some of the aforementioned ideas, in a non-commercial way. @John Forrister, or whoever else, would likely have to determine whether its okay or not. I'm thinking things like wallpapers and desktops. It certainly aint rocket science, and can scratch the itch of some enthusiasts and maybe attract more.

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
Is there a way to preview that course?
I don't think it is. After attending a course you get access to a resource page where this is one of the videos, but it doesn't seem to be available to the public...
But if you go to cruciallearning.com, you can sign up for a mini series, which will at least give you a taste of the new format!

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
I like the idea of a video with David Allen, using abudant examples, that illustrates, step by step, specifically how to develop and implement a complete GTD system. It would be a clear, lengthy, detailed, and complete step-by-step video instruction manual, so it might need to be a video series: "The Nitty Gritty of How David Allen does GTD."

LoraS

Registered
I think they did try it and found it too expensive a product to build and the market would not sustain the effort.

The infrastructure exists to make it a reality and there are more than enough smart minds to do it. However, at the end of the day, GTD is a methodology first and could be a software solution someday. We have so many different preferences (think UI and font choices alone) that building is extremely difficult and costly. Maybe the risk is too high?

My friends at FacileThings have been building a GTD app and it's taken many years and iterations to get to their current level. It's a tough business for sure.
I use FacileThings and find it to be very well done. I'm surprised it's not talked about in these forums more. I feel like it's the only app I've ever come across that captures all of the pieces of GTD with a guided experience so that it's easier for me not to miss steps along the way.

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
I use FacileThings and find it to be very well done. I'm surprised it's not talked about in these forums more. I feel like it's the only app I've ever come across that captures all of the pieces of GTD with a guided experience so that it's easier for me not to miss steps along the way.

Thanks for mentioning this, LoraS. I hear how much you appreciate this program. I have heard of FacileThings, but I do not have it listed in my folder of to-do programs I've tried, especially those that work well with GTD.

Why not? I wasn't sure, so I checked out their web site. I see that it was likely because they do not have a free lifetime version with all the essential features. They do have a one month free trial and then a subscription on various renewal frequencies. I oppose the subscription model - it's a reversal of the gift that keeps on giving.

I'd be interested in whether anyone else uses FacileThings? What do you like and dislike about it?

LoraS

Registered
Thanks for mentioning this, LoraS. I hear how much you appreciate this program. I have heard of FacileThings, but I do not have it listed in my folder of to-do programs I've tried, especially those that work well with GTD.

Why not? I wasn't sure, so I checked out their web site. I see that it was likely because they do not have a free lifetime version with all the essential features. They do have a one month free trial and then a subscription on various renewal frequencies. I oppose the subscription model - it's a reversal of the gift that keeps on giving.

I'd be interested in whether anyone else uses FacileThings? What do you like and dislike about it?
I hesitated at first with the cost but I now pay for the annual version happily. It is the place that keeps all my ducks in a row and keeps me engaged and clear. I can't imagine my world without it now.

Hammer

Registered

I have been using FacileThings since the app I was using went under. I must admit I do look around occasionally to see what is out there - and there are many nice features in other apps, but FT is the best fit for GTD (for me at least).

I have been trying to do GTD for several years and still fall off the wagon often. FT reminds you when you have not clarified or done your weakly review. It also steps you through the weakly review as well as a mind sweep (recent feature). I link to google drive as well as Onedrive for reference material and have it linked to my home calendar. I work in a hospital so there are many things (including my work calendar) I will not link due to privacy issues.

When you tag a person with @ you can click on their name and see basic information (contact info, notes etc.) as well as any tasks you have them associated with. Makes it easy to check in on things or give updates when you happen to be on the phone with someone.

You can delay items to hide them until a later time, flag tasks as waiting on another to complete (or have them in parallel if they are in a project but in a separate group).

Also the main developer if very responsive and seems like a genuinely nice guy.

As far as dislikes - I would like integration with outside services (google home or IFTTT etc.). Printable reports is also on my wish list (I believe it will be added in the next few months). I would also like for the interface to rescale more than it does.

Overall for me the pluses are far more than the minuses.

bcmyers2112

Registered
I have been using FacileThings since the app I was using went under. I must admit I do look around occasionally to see what is out there - and there are many nice features in other apps, but FT is the best fit for GTD (for me at least).
While I flirted with FacileThings at one time and decided it wasn't for me, I'm glad to hear it's working for you. It's not my opinion that counts here, but yours. It's nice to find a tool that suits you, isn't it? And while the variety of options out there can provoke some anxiety (at least if you're like me), it means there is something out there for every personality type and lifestyle.

bcmyers2112

Registered
Here's an idea: a product that would not only create, update and maintain our GTD systems -- but would do our actual work for us. We could call it Skynet. Or the Borg Collective. Or ChatGPT. In any event, I can't imagine anything could possibly go wrong.

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
Here's an idea: a product that would not only create, update and maintain our GTD systems -- but would do our actual work for us. We could call it Skynet. Or the Borg Collective. Or ChatGPT. In any event, I can't imagine anything could possibly go wrong.

Please arrange for this immediately, so I can get my "stuff" somewhere I can find . . . I am drowing, going under . . .last count . . . glub . . .