New here :) GTD buddies to get better together

Oogiem

Registered
The someday maybe list seems excessively long. Is this just me or is this normal at the beginning. I think I need to renegotiate some things that I hope to do someday maybe!
Define excessively long.

IMO Someday/Maybe is for absolutely everything that interests you, you might want to do, sounds fun, is a bucket list long term dream. There are no limits to your dreams. I like to keep all of them, I have changed how I manage my Someday/Maybe lists by keeping them as flat text files in DEVONThink and by organizing them loosely into my Areas of Focus or by large groups. For Example, I have a note in DT that is Computer/Web Projects To Do, one that is Farm Projects To Do and so on. I have 50 of those sorts of lists all in a folder called GTD Someday/Maybe Lists. They vary in size from about 10 ideas to over 100.

Then I have another folder that holds projects that got further before being put back into Someday/Maybe. I move things in and out of Omnifocus regularly when I do my seasonal reviews. This is the place for those things so I can find them easily when I need to activate them at the start of the next season that they can be worked on. It has a folder for things that fit into a single DT note and also folders for projects that have more support material or notes about multiple ideas that don't fit into one DT note. There are about 80 of those things so at least 80 different projects.

I've also found that when I do make one of my Someday/Maybe ideas active often what was a single line in my someday/maybe list turns into many projects. So for example one on my Weaving Projects To Do list is Woven Knitting Bag. There are some notes and that would actually turn into several projects, Decide on a design and size for the bag is one project. I will need to review what patterns I have, look at what I want to carry in it, decide which loom to use and so on. Decide on yarns to use is a project. I have to look at my stash, which might result in a project spin yarn for woven knitting bag and so on. So the simple 1 line item might result in 5-6 different actual projects once I decide to add it to my current lists.

So don't limit your ideas, instead focus on developing a system that allows you to capture those safely and review them later for possible inclusion in your active stuff you are working on.

Jncraig1313

Registered
I am glad to heat this. Most of the someday/ maybes have to do with my Quilting designs and projects, software classes, books to read, shows to attend. It is rather all consuming. Good new is that I finally managed to empty my electronic e-mail by following the advice of starting at the beginning and working to the end. I can't remember when it was last clear!

Oogiem

Registered
Most of the someday/ maybes have to do with my Quilting designs and projects, software classes, books to read, shows to attend. It is rather all consuming. Good new is that I finally managed to empty my electronic e-mail
Congrats on the clear e-mail inbox!

I hear you on the someday/maybe lists. A few of my someday/maybe list include classes to take on scrapbooking, Craftsy classes to take, one for knitting and naalbinding projects, one for sewing projects, one for quilting projects, one for weaving projects and I think 5 different ones for books to re-read sorted by genre since I want to look at the next one to get based on what mood I am in and what I want to read. The travel ones are also sorted a bit by location or general area. It makes picking stuff o add to the active project easier when I can look through a smaller set of choices compared to the entire thousand+ items on the total list.

Jncraig1313

Registered
You said seasonal review. I feel that if I did a review of all of these list at the same time it would take the day that it took to capture all of the item to begin with ( something that I am still in the process of). Are there lists ( someday maybe that can possible go longer than the weekly review ( seasonal? the equinoxes and the solstices) seem like a good mark for these.

Oogiem

Registered
You said seasonal review. .. Are there lists ( someday maybe that can possible go longer than the weekly review ( seasonal? the equinoxes and the solstices) seem like a good mark for these.
Sure, if that works for you. For me I try to limit my crafts 2 1 in each type active at a time, so I have no need to look at my someday/maybe list of Knitting Projects to Do until I finish the one I am currently working. Ditto for weaving, quilting, scrapbook and sewing lists.

I do in depth reviews of everything on the solstices and equinoxes. Farming works on a seasonal basis that using those times works for a change of active tasks.

petdr

Registered
For Example, I have a note in DT that is Computer/Web Projects To Do, one that is Farm Projects To Do and so on. I have 50 of those sorts of lists all in a folder called GTD Someday/Maybe Lists. They vary in size from about 10 ideas to over 100.

It's been a while since I looked at DevonThink. Is a note a regular plain file, like a list? or is a note DT term for folder?

I am picturing a folder called GTD Someday/Maybe Lists, within which are 50 or so lists (notes?) of possible projects eg Computer/Web Projects To Do and Farm Projects To Do. On those lists, there maybe 10-100 ideas.

Thanks for the detailed description of how you manage Someday/Maybe. Just want to make sure I understood the set up.

Oogiem

Registered
It's been a while since I looked at DevonThink. Is a note a regular plain file, like a list? or is a note DT term for folder?

I am picturing a folder called GTD Someday/Maybe Lists, within which are 50 or so lists (notes?) of possible projects eg Computer/Web Projects To Do and Farm Projects To Do. On those lists, there maybe 10-100 ideas.

Thanks for the detailed description of how you manage Someday/Maybe. Just want to make sure I understood the set up.
Correct in your assessment.

Note can be one of any of a number of formats. Most of mine are plain text files.A few are formatted text or rich text or other more obscure formats.

I use the term folder, DEVONThink uses the term groups, same concept different term. The icon is a folder.

Gardener

Registered
You said seasonal review. I feel that if I did a review of all of these list at the same time it would take the day that it took to capture all of the item to begin with ( something that I am still in the process of). Are there lists ( someday maybe that can possible go longer than the weekly review ( seasonal? the equinoxes and the solstices) seem like a good mark for these.

I think it's totally fine to pull stuff out of your main Someday/Maybe list/lists to review less frequently than weekly. If you still want to have some pointer/tickler in your main lists you would have--for example--a project called "Keep Someday/Maybe maintained" and that could contain tasks like a quarterly reminder to review your sewing project list, a monthly reminder to review your recipes-to-try list, a yearly reminder to go through your growing list of "books to read" and cull the titles that are no longer interesting, and so on. In that way, much of what was a someday/maybe list has now become project support material.

TesTeq

Registered
I think it's totally fine to pull stuff out of your main Someday/Maybe list/lists to review less frequently than weekly. If you still want to have some pointer/tickler in your main lists you would have--for example--a project called "Keep Someday/Maybe maintained" and that could contain tasks like a quarterly reminder to review your sewing project list, a monthly reminder to review your recipes-to-try list, a yearly reminder to go through your growing list of "books to read" and cull the titles that are no longer interesting, and so on. In that way, much of what was a someday/maybe list has now become project support material.
Some years ago I wrote this:
Use time-based lists.

Some people divide their long Someday/Maybe list into several lists that group future projects according to their probability to become active (or their priority).

Some people define time-based lists:
- SMWR (Someday/Maybe Weekly Reviewed);
- SMMR (Someday/Maybe Monthly Reviewed);
- SMQR (Someday/Maybe Quarterly Reviewed);
- SMYR (Someday/Maybe Yearly Reviewed).
The Someday/Maybe projects are put on these lists according to your current judgement when you should think again about a given project.

John Ismyname

Registered
Congrats on the clear e-mail inbox!

I hear you on the someday/maybe lists. A few of my someday/maybe list include classes to take on scrapbooking, Craftsy classes to take, one for knitting and naalbinding projects, one for sewing projects, one for quilting projects, one for weaving projects and I think 5 different ones for books to re-read sorted by genre since I want to look at the next one to get based on what mood I am in and what I want to read. The travel ones are also sorted a bit by location or general area. It makes picking stuff o add to the active project easier when I can look through a smaller set of choices compared to the entire thousand+ items on the total list.

I have always had difficulty with someday/maybe as a singular concept. To me, it's two different concepts, each requiring their own approach. I have a "Maybe" list - a "wish list" of things I MIGHT do in my lifetime. I also have a "Someday" list of things I will PROBABLY do. As an example, I have a stack of books on my bedside table that I own and will read. Books borrowed from the library and friends have to take priority.

This is a passive process as I do ink-on-paper book reading for an hour a day before I got to sleep. I only revue this backlog annually. When I decide to acticely read a book, it becomes a GTD "Next Action" where I activcley set aside th time to read and notate it.

John Ismyname

Registered

I do end of month revues, which is largely 'maintenace' tasks (i.e. balance checking account, revue investments). With comrpehensive weekly revues, there is not much revuing for me to do monthly.

I find between Christmas and New Year's a great time for an annual revue. Most people have 'down time' with a few satutory hoildays. It is a slow time for many industries and organizations.

What better time to do an annual revue than the end of the calendar year? I find that this 'convergence' of having my weekly, monthly and yearlky revues done gives me great "mind like water"; a great state in which to set up an annual plan for the coming calendar year!