Best GTD Apps

Christina

Registered
IMHO most people don't want "highly customizable tools" that are made by geeks for geeks that like to customize tools endlessly. For the rest of us @kelstarrising preapares great guides how to use the tools to Get Things Done (not Get Tools Customized). ;)
You are absolutely right. Beginners feel overwhelmed by choice. But often once they get into using a tool for a while and think more about their workflow they get REALLY bothered when something they want is not possible. With a tool you use every day even small things can start to bother you a lot. At least it's like that for a lot of people.

Francis Wade has a theory that your needs for a task manager evolve as you go along on your productivity journey: https://medium.com/2time-labs/what-...n-do-to-catch-up-with-pokemon-go-d69dfbd9953f
I don't agree with everything 100%, but there is definitely a lot of truth to it.

Often there is also one specific feature someone is looking for that is hard to find. From a developer perspective with a customizable tool it's nice because you can add niche features without cluttering up everything as only people who need it can enable the feature. So it allows you to cover a wide variety of needs for many users that don't get served by the standard tools without bogging everyone down. I really enjoy that part. :)

TesTeq

Registered
You are absolutely right. Beginners feel overwhelmed by choice. But often once they get into using a tool for a while and think more about their workflow they get REALLY bothered when something they want is not possible. With a tool you use every day even small things can start to bother you a lot. At least it's like that for a lot of people.
Unfortunately every time I wanted to customize the "insanely customizable app" the option I was dreaming of was not available. Probably my dreams are always outside the scope of the developer's imagination... ;)

TesTeq

Registered
Oh now my curiosity is piqued to the max! :) Please share your dream setup/feature.
For example a powerful tagging interface with easily accessible (via dedicated buttons) groups of tags:
@tags for places/contexts
#tags for Areas of Focus
&tags for people
$tags for Projects
This interface should allow creating complex filters ((&John and &Kelly) in (@Amsterdam or @Rotterdam) for $GTDPresentation).
This interface should prevent redundant tags creation.

Mateusz

Registered
For example a powerful tagging interface with easily accessible (via dedicated buttons) groups of tags:
#tags for Areas of Focus
&tags for people
$tags for Projects
This interface should allow creating complex filters ((&John and &Kelly) in (@Amsterdam or @Rotterdam) for $GTDPresentation).
I believe OmniFocus can do this.

I have checked an Amazing Marvin and indeed it is very customizable but for me its interface looks too nice:) I prefer more rough ones.

Yes I know... strange preference.

Chris Austin

Registered
I use FacileThings...I’ve tried most all of them and there are many good ones. I like Nirvana but the lack of attachments is a weakness IMO. If/when Facilethings integrates with outlook and onenote that will truly be “nirvana” for me.

AFG

Registered
Unfortunately every time I wanted to customize the "insanely customizable app" the option I was dreaming of was not available. Probably my dreams are always outside the scope of the developer's imagination... ;)

Me too.

Apps that call themselves "insanely customizable" very often just have lots and lots of options.

The only truly customizable apps have embedded programming languages. Like elisp for EMACS.

Rostane

Registered
Tried I lot of them!

Nozbe was good but getting a bit expensive and too 'big' for me.
Trello was cool for a while, but not the best for GTD.
Tried Evernote also, was fine but I prefer using it for reference.
If you guys remember TaskWriter (dead now :(), it was the closest to GTD I encounted ! Conqu was also fine.

Today I'm using Zenkit, switched to it when Trello was sold and I'm very happy with it so far.
Looks like the team there like GTD a lot : https://zenkit.com/en/blog/how-to-set-up-gtd-in-zenkit/

Hope my experience helps you guys.

Cheers.

Zelda

Registered
#tags for Areas of Focus
&tags for people
$tags for Projects

After ages I came back to this forum and I remember you from the old days ;-)

I use Amazing Marvin too and they just released an update that has tag groups and advanced query language and tag management that prevents creating redundant labels too easily.

Not saying this to convince you but to make this tool more known since it has more to offer then many other tools and the devs are the most responsive I have ever seen. I am using GTD tools since 2003 and have seen a lot...the good and the bad ;-)

ColinRiegels

Registered
Todoist. One of the most popular to-do list management apps, Todoist is my one of the top recommendations for the best GTD app. The tool provides a rich feature set for managing one's notes, checklists, tasks, habits, and much more through one platform.