Custom project form available

Bollinger

Registered
Volker

I think you are correct about the language conflict.

I assume the "Task" tab is not named "Task" in your Outlook edition?

If that's the case try to do the following:

Open the custom project form (cancelling error message).
Choose "Tools/Forms/Design this Form"
Goto "Form/View Code"

In the function named Function Item_Open() change all "Task" strings (not "Project") to what the tab is called in the German edition (sorry, I'm from Sweden... ;) )

Then press "Publish Form" in the toolbar, choose "Personal Forms Library" and overwrite the existing "GTD-Template" entry.

Exit and restart Outlook.

Regards
Mattias Sahlin

M

morberg

Bollinger said:
Morberg:

I've described this in my first post in this thread (under Converting old projects), but I'll try to give you a more detailed explanation:

Thanks a bunch! Did you edit the first post? I can't remember seeing a link to DocMessageClass previously, but maybe I wasn't paying attention. Anyway, that was the part I was missing.

U

Unregistered

Question on the Convert to Next Action Button, does it auto populate the NA in the task window? IF so, that doesn't seem to work with my setup.

V

vauha27

It finally works

Mattias,

you deserve the title outlook wizard. The Tab is called "Aufgaben" (=tasks) and this didn't work but I used "Aufgabe" (=task) instead and now it seems to be ok.

Feature request :)

History tracks the creation of new next actions but not their completion. Is there any way to get this tracked without having to enter it manually? Ideally the tracked entry would be made whenever the task is checked off as complete.

Thanks for sharing

Volker

bhiggs

Registered
Icon

Is there anyway to set it so that it would use the standard task icon instead of the posted note icon? The standard icon would show you at a glance if you had a repeating task, while the posted note does not.

Bill.

Bollinger

Registered
Unregistered said:
Question on the Convert to Next Action Button, does it auto populate the NA in the task window? IF so, that doesn't seem to work with my setup.

Yes, by pressing the button a new task is shown with values filld in for "Project" (with the subject from the project form you are viewing) and "Subject" (selected row in future na list). "Action" is not transferred.

Volker:
Yes, I've thought of this myself. Count it in for the next version ;)

bhiggs:
Interesting! I'll look into if I could use the default icon.

Regards
Mattias Sahlin

U

Unregistered

Does the new form work with Exchange 2003?

Just a quick question - would using MS Exchange with Outlook 2003 make a difference?

Regards, Fiona

S

Shane

form for non outlook add-in users

It looks like a really useful form - but any thoughts on how this could be used or modified to be used without GTD outlook add in?

V

vauha27

Unregistered said:
Just a quick question - would using MS Exchange with Outlook 2003 make a difference?

Regards, Fiona

Fiona,

we run Outllook 2003 with an exchange server and it works, even when outlook is offline (I use a tablet pc).

Volker

Bollinger

Registered
Shane said:
It looks like a really useful form - but any thoughts on how this could be used or modified to be used without GTD outlook add in?

Sure it can! There are a few things with this form that are specific
to the GTD-addin.

1. When creating new NA from the button "Create Next Action" custom
propery "Project" are used. This property is defined by the GTD-addin and
stores a reference to the assigned project.

2. A GTD-addin project is a regular task with the category-field set to "Projects". This handling is also specific in this form.

But after all, the GTD-addin is just a way to create tasks in Outlook (+ the GTD toolbar) so you can build your own GTD-addin pretty easy.

Regards
Mattias Sahlin

joeycan

Registered
Quick question to everyone who is using this awsome form.

I am trying to generate a project view of a master project for example project home, all sub home projects and associated next actions to these projects. I am assuming in order to do this that I need to add a field to the regular task form which allows me to associate the next action to a master project. This way I can do a view using a filter for master project=home, thus showing all projects and next actions. or is there a simpler way of doing this?

Cheers

Joey

S

Shane Lindsay

how to get form to work without addin

Thanks for the tips regarding using this form without the plugin. I have learnt a lot about outlook in the last hour. I think I have it working, and I share how for anyone who wants to give it a try - the only bit I am not clear about is how to implement master projects.

-Install the form as suggested.
-Create a new task, and set the category to Projects (case sensitive and no other categories). Close and save. You get a script error but ignore that.
-Open the task, and it loads using the special project form.
-You can use the form as normal. You can create tasks by clicking the next action button.
-Customise your task view, go the fields selection, choose "user defined fields in folder", and choose the field Project, and add to the fields list (you may need to do the following first - i created a new task form in design mode, brought up the control toolbox, chose to add a new field in one of the p.number pages, used the field name Project, and then published that form to the tasks folder. - or you might not to do this at all )
-You can then see all your tasks associated to the project that created them!

A second hack is to create Project types, i.e. Work, Personal - I did this by adding the metaproject name, (or subproject name) in the mileage field of your Project details, and then you can add this field to the view, customise its name (i.e. masterproject) and then you can group/sort by this field.

Its a little bit of work, but it seems to me a great solution to solve a problem using outlook (and not the plugin) to manage projects over time and their associated tasks. So great work in creating it.

S

swarman

Added Functionality

First of all I want to say thanks to Mattias for all the great work on this form. I went one step further with the 'Convert to Next Action' button. I modified it so that an item of '@Home-Choose options from catalog' would create a task with a subject of 'Choose options from catalog' and a category of '@Home'. The logic parses the string for the '-' and sets the category with everything to the left and the subject with everything to the right of the '-'. Text that does not contain a '-' does nothing different from the current behavior. By setting the category automatically it allows you to group and sort by context.

I will gladly post the code change if Mattias is in agreement since it is his base work.

U

Unregistered

Conflict problem resolved

The conflict was with a task - not outlook folders - so its all fixed and the form works GREAT!!!

Ditto on the suggestions for enhancement requests

U

Unregistered

Wow. Thank you.

Thank you for creating this and sharing it with the community. This was a huge missing piece of the puzzle for me. The "history" function is fantastic.

Really, this has truly revitalized my system. Great work.

Bollinger

Registered
swarman said:
First of all I want to say thanks to Mattias for all the great work on this form. I went one step further with the 'Convert to Next Action' button. I modified it so that an item of '@Home-Choose options from catalog' would create a task with a subject of 'Choose options from catalog' and a category of '@Home'. The logic parses the string for the '-' and sets the category with everything to the left and the subject with everything to the right of the '-'. Text that does not contain a '-' does nothing different from the current behavior. By setting the category automatically it allows you to group and sort by context.

I will gladly post the code change if Mattias is in agreement since it is his base work.

Good work! Of course you are free to share this, but I have an idea. Mabye we could keep this form evolving in a structured way. If you send me your code I can merge it with my recent work on this form and then make it availible as a new download? PM me and I'll send my email adress.

I have a couple of new features added to this form already.

If anyone else would like to help make this even better, I'll be glad to take feature requests or code additions.

Regards
Mattias Sahlin

S

swarman

SomeDay/Maybe Projects

Mattias - I was wondering how you handle your SMB projects with the enhanced form. I would like to change the category from 'Projects', but that would take away the ability to do project planning with your custom form. Let me know what you do or what I am missing.

A

atodedeus

Question about filtering for master projects

Hi there --

This is a great add-in, but I'm having some trouble creating a new view sorted by the master project. Here's what I'm trying to do:

1. I have a master project called "A" and sub-projects "B" and "C" which have "A" selected as their Master Project in the new GTD task

2. I have tasks that belong to the "B" and "C" project

3. I'd like to create a filter that only shows tasks which belong to the "A" master project, but sub-sorted by "B" and "C" -- is that possible? I'm trying to filter on the master project, but since it's a Yes/No field, I can't specify anything to filter on.

Does that make sense? Am I using the concept of "Master Project" incorrectly?

Thanks...

S

swarman

The text description of the Master Project field is the field 'GTDMasterProjectList'. So you would filter on that to get to only things that belong to 'A'. Then you can group or sort by B/C in your desired manner.