Nirvana HQ

Ridwan

Registered
In August 2019 they wrote a tweet about various features coming: .
More than two years have passed and nothing they mentioned has been released yet.

By the way, I do not care about attachments being a feature in to-do apps.
I think that using cloud storage and including links to files is more than enough.

Yep! Me not keen on files attachments. I can use OneDrive for that and link it. I would prefer reminders though.

GabeVilela

Registered
Since I first started using GTD, I always bounced between Todoist, Microsoft ToDo, Google Tasks, TickTick and now NirvanaHQ.

Nirvana lacks some features you would find in others task managers, but there's one thing I couldn't find anywhere else (within apps that run on Windows and Android), which is start dates.
I've messing around with different ways to deal with it on Todoist or TickTick, but it always ends looking too complicated, while on Nirvana is very simple and straight forward.
(I know TickTick has start dates, but it works more like you were creating a calendar event, instead of "hide until this date", and it requires the task to have a deadline).

Nirvana also lacks reminders, but as I have learned the hard way while using Todoist, reminders doesn't work for me because, most of the time, I just swipe them off or just forget about it until it's too late.

The biggest downsides of Nirvana in my opinion are:
  • Lack of quick capture on mobile;
  • UI design, which doesn't look clean or pretty as Things 3 or Todoist;
  • Very slow development, to a point where I always wonder from time to time, "what if they shut down tomorrow?".

As I'm writing this, my task app of choice is Todoist (since I've some months left on my yearly subscription), but I'm considering going back, since I also bought a Nirvana HQ lifetime subscription back in Feb when I tested it for the first time.

Hi @GabeVilela ,

it may be worth looking at Remember The Milk, which is very stable and has been around forever, or Amazing Marvin, which is newer and in my opinion less stable. Both of these apps have start dates

Peter

Luis Neto

Registered
Nirvana lacks some features you would find in others task managers, but there's one thing I couldn't find anywhere else (within apps that run on Windows and Android), which is start dates.

Have you not tried Things 3? I noticed you mentioned it further down in your message.
It has start dates too.

PiotrS

Registered
Things and Omnifocus are available only on i/MacOS.

@GabeVilela there's also Amazing Marvin with start dates and other concepts that one can apply for GTD, it works everywhere. (I don't use it, but can recommend at least to try)

Last edited:

Mateusz

Registered
Yesterday I received an email:

Nirvana for GTD 3.6.0 (3.6.0) is ready to test on iOS.​

QVSBIKOjNb06qHM0_QXhJvBoyzRP-RUwm0DV3hx0El403CjNL2mRnH2T9YzZ4puIKvmxYLOcxs1DOujROB6ta1--rxZAGL9TxD-LZOA9=s0-d-e1-ft

What to Test:​

QVSBIKOjNb06qHM0_QXhJvBoyzRP-RUwm0DV3hx0El403CjNL2mRnH2T9YzZ4puIKvmxYLOcxs1DOujROB6ta1--rxZAGL9TxD-LZOA9=s0-d-e1-ft
This update brings a long-awaited feature: Reminders. Set a date/time to be reminded of a pending to-do, and you'll receive a push-notification when that moment arrives. We've also made a few adjustments the user interface to make Nirvana more delightful to use.​

FocusGuy

Registered
Yesterday I received an email:
Thanks for sharing :) I downloaded it from the apple store. I find it much better. It looks better and it is very pleasant for using. It would be an alternative for me if I had to switch from Omnifocus. I hope they will make Nirvana on web like it is on IOS. At last Nirvana developpement seems to be back !

Ridwan

Registered
I am in testflight. Juste to see how it goes. For now Nirv. has no real evolution. Icons + notification. What else ?
My humble opinion is if they cud bring reminders & notifications, it would be enough to make it the best GTD app in the market.

Luis Neto

Registered
My humble opinion is if they cud bring reminders & notifications, it would be enough to make it the best GTD app in the market.
For me it's still missing something kind of basic but really important which is the possibility of configuring actions that repeat only when the previous occurrence gets done.
It's only possible to create them on a fixed repeating interval ("every X days/weeks/months"), so when an action does not get done on the day it was created, the next instance does not take that into account.
It starts becoming a mess.

Last edited:

Ridwan

Registered
For me it's still missing something kind of basic but really important which is the possibility of configuring actions that repeat only when the previous occurrence gets done.
It's only possible to create them on a fixed repeating interval ("every X days/weeks/months"), so when an action does not get done on the day it was created, the next instance does not take that into account.
It starts becoming a mess.
Oh yes! Todoist does this pretty well. This is one of the features why I always go back to Todoist.
I wish they had a lifetime subscription plan ages ago. I would have happily paid for it.

FocusGuy

Registered
After trying many software I think Nirvana is in the top 3 for GTD. Simple and efficient. Well thought. For sure If I wanted something simple I would use Nirvana. Anyway I use Omnifocus and I can tell you that it is just an astonish tool. You can do whatever you want and I like using perspective for controling my task. Things is great too.