Nirvana HQ

assdfd513213

Registered
Does anyone using NIrvana as calendar?
Should I use specifc date and time list to another calendar app?
It's hard to see landscape of Calendar list.
and how should I handle Specific time action?

ERJ1

Jedi Master
Does anyone using NIrvana as calendar?
Should I use specifc date and time list to another calendar app?
It's hard to see landscape of Calendar list.
and how should I handle Specific time action?
I think you'd be a lot better off using a calendar app as a calendar.

assdfd513213

Registered
I think you'd be a lot better off using a calendar app as a calendar.

Thanks
Are you using Nirvana only for list manager?
How should I handle specific date/time action in project?
Should I check it manually in weekly review?

Last edited:

ERJ1

Jedi Master
Thanks
I don't use Nirvana, but in general, your list manager really should be separate from your calendar. Project deadlines could be included in a list manager, though! For example, I use Todoist as list manager and have it synced to Google Calendar - that way I can keep an eye on deadlines.

assdfd513213

Registered
I don't use Nirvana, but in general, your list manager really should be separate from your calendar. Project deadlines could be included in a list manager, though! For example, I use Todoist as list manager and have it synced to Google Calendar - that way I can keep an eye on deadlines.

I mean specific date action that in the project.
not deadlines of project.

mcogilvie

Registered
Thanks
You can set both start dates and due dates on both next actions and projects. Is this the sort of thing you are thinking of, or are you asking about scheduling work on a project?

assdfd513213

Registered
You can set both start dates and due dates on both next actions and projects. Is this the sort of thing you are thinking of, or are you asking about scheduling work on a project?
For example if I have "Prepare for Test" project
- Read books
- Send test application
- Check test date

I must 'Send test application' on Oct.16.
This case if I use nirvana how to handle?
I should write down in Calendar then mark complete at weekly review?

mcogilvie

Registered
For example if I have "Prepare for Test" project
- Read books
- Send test application
- Check test date

I must 'Send test application' on Oct.16.
This case if I use nirvana how to handle?
I should write down in Calendar then mark complete at weekly review?
I would give sending the application a due date of Oct. 16.
I would check it off when I do it, whether before the 16th or on that date.
If I had something that could only be done on a certain date, I would
make both the start date and the due date that same date.
if you want to put reminders in your calendar too, you can.

Jared Caron

Nursing leader; GTD enthusiast
Is Nirvana missing any kind of repeating of tasks? How do you guys handle repeating stuff? I have a lot of weekly/monthly/biyearly projects in Omnifocus.

Yes you can do repeating tasks. Actually, I think Nirvana handles repeating tasks better than many tools, since it doesn't bother you with them until the start date.

I'm excited to see these updates... i wish the team was just a little more active with it because I would love to go back to it, it's such a smooth tool. Just missing a few features that Todoist does really well and I cant seem to make it work.

assdfd513213

Registered
How to use 'Areas' ?
Does 'Areas' means from 'Areas of focus'?
Can anyone give me some examples how to apply 'Areas of focus' conecpt into Nirvana's 'Areas'?

mcogilvie

Registered
How to use 'Areas' ?
Can anyone give me some examples how to apply 'Areas of focus' conecpt into Nirvana's 'Areas'?
Nirvana’s Areas map to GTD’s Area of Focus (Level 2).
So if you were a student, that might be an area of focus. Health might be another.

alevici

Registered
How to use 'Areas' ?

I have the same doubt: I don't find useful to sort AoF, so I was think to other possible use of Areas in Nirvana.
Is there anyone making use of Area with different porpouse?
i e. Eisenhower matrix o even context..

rmjb

Registered
From my understanding, the real value of Areas of Focus in GTD is to help ensure you're balancing your projects; that is, you're not doing too much in certain areas and neglecting others.

With that understanding, I don't think the Areas implementation in Nirvana is the best.
I tag my projects with the Area to which they align. In doing so I guess I can review my projects by one Area at a time, but what I think is lacking is the ability to stand back and look at all areas to see imbalances.

What I have used it for is to assist with context. My computer context is too long, since I'm in front of a computer all day at work. When I filter by computer context I can then further filter by the, Procurement or Service Management area for example, and work on next actions in one area.

mcogilvie

Registered
I have the same doubt: I don't find useful to sort AoF, so I was think to other possible use of Areas in Nirvana.
Is there anyone making use of Area with different porpouse?
i e. Eisenhower matrix o even context..
I‘ve tried repurposing Areas in Things for both contexts and Important/Urgent distinctions, and found they didn’t work for me. In both cases, I found that project next actions did not always fall into the same category. Furthermore, projects moved too much, and the cognitive load in locating them was a distraction.

talundbl

Registered
I‘ve tried repurposing Areas in Things for both contexts and Important/Urgent distinctions, and found they didn’t work for me. In both cases, I found that project next actions did not always fall into the same category. Furthermore, projects moved too much, and the cognitive load in locating them was a distraction.

I used to waste a lot of time and mental bandwidth in Omnifocus placing projects in the proper "area of focus" categorie. Now in Nirvana, I just have two areas "work" and "personal" for filtering when necessary, and keep "Areas of Focus" as a Reference list which I review regularly and use to reflect on how I am spending my time. Just made the change, don't know how effective it is, but really trying to simplify my GTD. If something is a "Project" and not a "Someday" then it has made my priority list, for better or worse - it doesn't really matter whether it is a "Home" area of focus or a "Professional Development" or "Family". Reviewing my AofF list at Weekly Review is when I take time to consider whether I am living a balanced life.

mcogilvie

Registered
I used to waste a lot of time and mental bandwidth in Omnifocus placing projects in the proper "area of focus" categorie. Now in Nirvana, I just have two areas "work" and "personal" for filtering when necessary, and keep "Areas of Focus" as a Reference list which I review regularly and use to reflect on how I am spending my time. Just made the change, don't know how effective it is, but really trying to simplify my GTD. If something is a "Project" and not a "Someday" then it has made my priority list, for better or worse - it doesn't really matter whether it is a "Home" area of focus or a "Professional Development" or "Family". Reviewing my AofF list at Weekly Review is when I take time to consider whether I am living a balanced life.
Yeah, tried that too. It breaks down for me in two ways. First, the use of Areas is an aid to navigation. Money things and family things are both personal, but easier to deal with separately. it It extremely difficult to deal with mingled someday-maybe’s. For work, some areas have recurring projects annually, while others areas build on previous work. Just too different to consider together.

ckennedy

Registered
I have recently come back to Nirvana from Things3. Despite Things3 being so much smoother and faster for me, Nirvana forces me into a more disciplined GTD approach which is helpful in its' own right.
I was excited to see two updates over the summer, which led me to hope that they were upping their game in terms of development timelines.
Unfortunately it seems to have quiet again. One of the updates they released was an IOS app that allowed you to display calendar events in the focus view. Unfortunately it did not allow you to choose which calendars to list. The result is that every Google and office 365 calendar I have shows up, making it entirely unusable.

I contacted support over 3 months ago and while they promised to fix it, nothing has been done.
The inability to use ios share sheets to populate the app significantly diminishes it as a viable Apple task manager (although maybe they are focusing their attention on other platforms)
There also does not seem to be any updates on the Mac side.

I would love to love the program, but I have a sinking feeling....

sholden

Registered
Android was updated on Sep 15, 2020. And iOS "2 months ago" according to the Apple Store. Data continues to sync between Web-Android-iOS for me. So it is "operational" for me.

Dave Edwards

Registered
I have been using Nirvana for more than a decade. While it is not as feature-rich as some of its competitors, I like how simple it is to use. I agree with you that because of the way it is set up, you can follow GTD with ease. I know lots of people complain that Nirvana hasn't changed much in many years, but that is actually what I like about it. It is a workhorse.