Is Nirvana GTD app going to close?

JMartinez

Registered
So if you install this version, does it auto-update to the current version?
if, despite being 3.2.14, you update to the latest version, I still don't understand the update system very well, as it is updated when you close and reopen the application.

JMartinez

Registered
Let me know if you hear back from them. They never responded to my emails about the bugs.
Strange, I always get feedback from technical support. I always send reports from the application's feedback option

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2020-07-18 a las 18.30.25.png
    Captura de pantalla 2020-07-18 a las 18.30.25.png
    186.4 KB · Views: 35

JMartinez

Registered
Guys, I think that despite the mistakes, it's good that they're moving. We must not forget that the desktop versions are Betas.

If they don't update the application, we complain because they don't update it.

If they update it, we complain because there are errors.

Honestly, I prefer that they update despite the errors and that Nirvana stays alive

A month
Guys, I think that despite the mistakes, it's good that they're moving. We must not forget that the desktop versions are Betas.

If they don't update the application, we complain because they don't update it.

If they update it, we complain because there are errors.

Honestly, I prefer that they update despite the errors and that Nirvana stays alive
I agree with you, hopefully they will be updating a couple of time a year instead of nothing.

a few weeks ago I sent an email to nirvana and Elbert writes me back. It is good to know they are working on the app development. He states “Nirvana is still very much in active development. It’s certainly where I spend the majority of my time.”

so let’s wait for the news!!

JasonGTDs

Registered
Nirvana Pros,

I recently went to Nirvana (and paid) and was very excited at the quick input and all the other great features (pure GTD here). Now at the first real inbox processing phase...

And are there keyboard shortcuts for this? I've gone through all the help and in the internet... but no way to assign to a project with keys? Set energy? Schedule a task? I can't even seem to tab over the old fashioned way and select it.

There are keys to make new items.... but when it comes time to crank through that list it seems completely mouse driven (slow)? If I could set projects the same way I add tags that would be great. I guess this is the benefit of the rapid entry? But often I just want to capture the random thought and not process it until later.

Thanks for any tips and tricks you may have.

bcmyers2112

Registered
Nirvana Pros,

I recently went to Nirvana (and paid) and was very excited at the quick input and all the other great features (pure GTD here). Now at the first real inbox processing phase...

And are there keyboard shortcuts for this? I've gone through all the help and in the internet... but no way to assign to a project with keys? Set energy? Schedule a task? I can't even seem to tab over the old fashioned way and select it.

There are keys to make new items.... but when it comes time to crank through that list it seems completely mouse driven (slow)? If I could set projects the same way I add tags that would be great. I guess this is the benefit of the rapid entry? But often I just want to capture the random thought and not process it until later.

Thanks for any tips and tricks you may have.

Nope... the only way to associate a project with a next action is completely mouse-driven. I've suggested they add the ability to assign projects via the keyboard but I see no sign that it's even on their roadmap.

mcogilvie

Registered
Nope... the only way to associate a project with a next action is completely mouse-driven. I've suggested they add the ability to assign projects via the keyboard but I see no sign that it's even on their roadmap.
This may be a consequence of the software framework they are using to produce a cross-platform app. You see signs of this in Todoist as well, which I believe uses the Electron framework. I don’t know what framework Nirvana is using, though.

JasonGTDs

Registered
Thanks. :(

I don't see anything else with the Nirvana power to see a tag of stuff broken down by now, scheduled, sometime/maybe. RTM is pretty flexible, but each smartlist is only one thing and you can't easily add/remove tags on the fly like a Nirvana filter. And OF is just a norad control booth of complexity.

Sad Panda. Carpel tunnel ftw.

bcmyers2112

Registered
This may be a consequence of the software framework they are using to produce a cross-platform app. You see signs of this in Todoist as well, which I believe uses the Electron framework. I don’t know what framework Nirvana is using, though.

I'm not in any way programming-savvy, so I wouldn't know. I do know there are some things you can do in Nirvana that are keyboard-driven. For example, you can add a tag via the keyboard and the software will even suggest existing tags as you begin to type. The same is true for adding a new contact to a waiting for item.

mcogilvie

Registered
I'm not in any way programming-savvy, so I wouldn't know. I do know there are some things you can do in Nirvana that are keyboard-driven. For example, you can add a tag via the keyboard and the software will even suggest existing tags as you begin to type. The same is true for adding a new contact to a waiting for item.
Yeah, Todoist does that sort of thing too, but there's not much keyboard navigation available. It's hard to do as well on UX as a native app written with tasteful design by platform experts.

mcogilvie

Registered
I am brand new to GTD. I currently use Nirvana but is Nozbe or todoist better? Thanks
Nirvana is a pretty faithful implementation of GTD and a very reasonable choice. While Nozbe and Todoist are also good choices, I would stick with Nirvana for a while. GTD is much more about you than the technology you use, and changing software rarely results in huge improvements.

Inhuman Artist

Registered
Nirvana is a pretty faithful implementation of GTD and a very reasonable choice. While Nozbe and Todoist are also good choices, I would stick with Nirvana for a while. GTD is much more about you than the technology you use, and changing software rarely results in huge improvements.
Will do. Thanks for the advice.

bcmyers2112

Registered

Despite my complaints about Nirvanahq's UI, I echo what @mcogilvie says and will be sticking with Nirvana as well. For all my kvetching, I've realized that there are features I like about Nirvana, and despite its flaws it serves well as a trusted system. Moreover, the grass always seems greener on the other side, but there are things that annoy me about Todoist and Nozbe as well. All three options are good. None are perfect.

Finally, the amount of work it would take to move my lists to another software solution in my experience takes the better part of a day. That time could be better spent... getting things done. (See what I did there?)

JMartinez

Registered
Despite my complaints about Nirvanahq's UI, I echo what @mcogilvie says and will be sticking with Nirvana as well. For all my kvetching, I've realized that there are features I like about Nirvana, and despite its flaws it serves well as a trusted system. Moreover, the grass always seems greener on the other side, but there are things that annoy me about Todoist and Nozbe as well. All three options are good. None are perfect.

Finally, the amount of work it would take to move my lists to another software solution in my experience takes the better part of a day. That time could be better spent... getting things done. (See what I did there?)

I think like you. As I said on other occasions, Nirvana is not perfect but it follows the GTD workflow quite faithfully.

Focus is not gtd, but as they say in the David Allen company's own guide, Focus should be used sparingly.

Other players like todoist, nozbe, tick tick, notion, etc.

They are packed with eye-catching features but there are three several key things in Nirvana.

Everything and the bugs of the beta version, it works well and does not prevent its use, it is reliable and reliable, I love it, it would take me two days to move everything from Nirvana, I say it from experience, I did the movement a few months ago and I came back with the tail between the legs, I have known Nirvana since 2011, and I use it as the only task manager since 2015.

Moving everything I have there is a huge job, I have a file, checklist, support material, personal and professional triggers. Simply all my life is in Nirvana and after so many years I am still in love with her

bcmyers2112

Registered
Focus is not gtd, but as they say in the David Allen company's own guide, Focus should be used sparingly.

I love the Focus list because not only does it show you items due today, you can use it as a tickler list. I often tickle things by creating a "scheduled" item (for non-Nirvana users, that means it's an item with a start date but not necessarily a due date). When the scheduled date arrives I see the item in my Focus view. That gives me the option to "tickle" the item again to appear at a later date if I'm not yet ready to act on it; I can simply add the item to my next actions list if appropriate; or if it's a two-minute item that's appropriate to act on I can do it right then and there.

That's just one of the features that makes Nirvana "sticky" for me. It's become so ingrained in my workflow -- in such a successful way -- that I don't want to take the effort to re-engineer things.

I should add I love the feature of being able to add a start date without having to add a due date. Very few software solutions that I've tried have that feature.

TesTeq

Registered
I am brand new to GTD. I currently use Nirvana but is Nozbe or todoist better? Thanks
Yes, "Nirvana is a pretty faithful implementation of GTD and a very reasonable choice." - as @mcogilvie said. On the other hand, Nozbe extends GTD towards teamwork. You can share Projects and delegate Actions with comments so this system can replace email inside your organization. And if something doesn't work, you know who to blame - Michael Sliwinski, Nozbe's founder and CEO.

JMartinez

Registered
Yes, "Nirvana is a pretty faithful implementation of GTD and a very reasonable choice." - as @mcogilvie said. On the other hand, Nozbe extends GTD towards teamwork. You can share Projects and delegate Actions with comments so this system can replace email inside your organization. And if something doesn't work, you know who to blame - Michael Sliwinski, Nozbe's founder and CEO.

I was a user of nozbe for some time, and editor of Productive Magazine in Spanish, I have known Michael since 2015. Nozbe long ago moved away from gtd philosophy

IMG_1354.jpg

TesTeq

Registered
I was a user of nozbe for some time, and editor of Productive Magazine in Spanish, I have known Michael since 2015. Nozbe long ago moved away from gtd philosophy

View attachment 842
A very nice picture of two productive guys before the social distancing disaster! ;)
But... what do you mean by "moving away from gtd philosophy"? There's an inbox, there are lists of Projects and Actions. You need nothing more to "do GTD"!